What's new

Not happy with online order

Just received an order from HighlandMensCare.com consisting of Edwin Jagger DE89 Razor, Mercur Blades, and Edwin Jagger Razor/Brush stand. I will post reviews and more photos once this mess is resolved. The problem is the bowl in the stand has been switched out for a cheaper one. It is not the bowl that should come with it. This one is not chrome, does not fit right, and it's been used! The stand also came bent. I had to carefully adjust it back.
I was so excited when the package came! I was enjoying the excitement of my new toys. The packaging is top notch by Edwin Jagger. The stand comes in a nice size box with plenty of fine tissue paper. Once I got past the tissue I could see the gleaming chrome of the stand. Heavy for something this dainty. I quickly notices the bowl had a different sheen. On closer inspection it's not chrome! To boot, I see swirl marks inside. I placed it on the stand and does not float on the rim. It sits on the base with a good size gap between the stand rim/ring and the bowl lip. Next the ring was not centered with the base. It was off by and inch.
What happened to this set? The box shows no signs of damage. The bowl I think was switched out by someone who returned it. But that does not explain why the stand was twisted. If it was a return, they should have checked it before putting it back in inventory and sending it out to a customer.
I have called HighlandMensCare.com and talked to a lady there. She seems helpful and was very concerned with what happened. Someone is to call me in a few days to resolve the matter. Will update as this goes. Should be ok as the site seems ok. I'm not angry just disappointed and now the hassle of shipping and waiting.
I like online shopping but when things like this happens it makes me wonder.

Last edited:
A few days seems like quite a long while to resolve an issue like this. No doubt the folks at Highland Mens Care didn't know that the package had been messed with; mistakes happen. Seems like they should already have a new one on its way, though.

Recently the same thing happened to me with a motorcycle helmet I'd ordered onlne. The helmet I received was messed up and clearly a return. When notified, the vendor had a new one shipped to me immediately. I got it 2 days later, and I'm sure the new and old ones crossed in the Fedex system. They literally sent it out within an hour of my call.

Give the vendor a little time. They may be a very small operation doing the best they can.

Jeff

Agree this should have been handled more expeditiously, but with the holidays and all they might be short of staff.

Stuff happens. Why, no one knows. Key here is if they resolve the problem to your satisfaction. Keep us posted, please.

Wow, looks like your fancy chromed bowl was switched out for a common stainless steel bowl (often used for pet food) that can be had for a dollar in many areas. That's uncool. :thumbdown

Yeah, it does sound like they got a return and reshipped it. One word of caution, though: the site does state that the stand is chrome plated, but says nothing of the bowl.

The Edwin Jagger Double Wire Chrome-Plated Shaving Razor, Brush & Bowl Stand holds your shaving tools in style. Bowl is perfect for shaving soap, water and lathering up some great shaving cream. Looks good in your bathroom while letting your razor and shaving brush air dry properly (never store a wet brush). Protect your investment. Using a stand will extend the life of your shaving brush.

The double wire stand is hand crafted by silversmiths in Sheffield, England. Hand-buffed and polished to perfection. Outstanding quality, chrome plated stand has a very solid, weighted base so its stable and won't tip over. Reduces bathroom clutter.

I'd ask if the bowl is supposed to chrome before asking that they send you another. I'd just return the product if you aren't satisfied with it.

Yeah, it does sound like they got a return and reshipped it. One word of caution, though: the site does state that the stand is chrome plated, but says nothing of the bowl.

I'd ask if the bowl is supposed to chrome before asking that they send you another. I'd just return the product if you aren't satisfied with it.

Part of the bowl issue is that it doesn't fit properly in the stand. Judging by the ones on their website, the rim of the bowl should fit flush on the hoop part of the stand.

I believe they (highland) got screwed on a return as the bowl does not fit the ring on the stand as pictured on their web site. Yes, someone should have caught the mistake instead on passing on the "screw" to you. But I have days when I'm not perfect

That being said, I have a high opinion of this vendor and believe it will be resolved to your satisfaction. If they won't make it right, thats something I would like to know

ken

Matter is resolved, got full refund plus shipping. Here is how it went down:

On Jan 6, 2011, at 5:44 PM, Customer Service wrote:

We received the returned shaving stand from you and are about to send you a new one. However, we want to be sure to avoid any confusion so could you please let us know why you think you received the incorrect bowl with the stand?

Thank you,
Customer Service
www.HighlandMensCare.com

Date: Thursday, January 6, 2011, 6:00 PM

It seems you have an internal security or vendor issue, since you said returns are not sent out to customers again. The set I got was tampered with by someone switching out the bowl with this cheap, used stainless one. It's obviously not chrome, does not sit on the rim, and its not Edwin Jagger. I have seen several images online and read the detailed description of this item. It just doesn't match. To make matters worse the stand was bent when I received it. I adjusted it myself to bring the base back to the center of the ring. That is physically impossible in shipment.

I have provided as much information I could give. If there is anything else let me know.

Kind regards,

Customer Service wrote:

Dear,

Thank you for getting back to us.

We want to emphasize that we do not send out customer returns. The set you received was defective but not because it had been returned to us from another customer. We just double-checked our records and though we have sold dozens of this stand monthly for the past two years, we have not received a single return of the item.

The defect in the stand must have occurred during the manufacturing process. Edwin Jagger produces excellent products but no manufacturing process is always 100% perfect. We apologize for the defect. It is the first defect we have seen.

We contacted Edwin Jagger last night about the bowl which is stainless steel. They sent us the following comments this morning:

"It is not commercially practical to manufacture a chrome plated bowl that offers guaranteed performances with uniform chrome plated surfaces and all areas protected with a chrome coating. For your information the stainless steel selected for our shaving bowl resists the effects of shaving soap and cream just as well as chrome coatings. It also ideal for withstanding dramatic changes of temperature, almost impossible to scratch and very easy to clean. We have selected a high grade of stainless for the shaving bowl that offers guaranteed performance as well as perfectly matching the colour of chrome plating.

Regarding the fit of the bowl into the ring, they said the following:

The bowl is designed to fit loosely into the retaining ring. As the stands are completely handmade and flex during the final polishing and chrome plating processes, we need to build in a tolerance for final fitting.

Unfortunately, it's not obvious in the product image on our website unless you enlarge the image but there is a gap shown between the bowl rim and the retaining ring.

In light of these comments, please let us know if you still would like to receive a replacement or have your money refunded.

Thank you,
Customer Service
www.HighlandMensCare.com

It sounds like HighlandMensCare has handled this extremely well.

I'm a little surprised at the Edwin Jagger response, however. They can't make a chrome bowl? Really? But I'm no metallurgist, so maybe I'm wrong.

Ok I am really confused here.

First off the "chrome" bowl if that is what they are marketing is not a bowl made of chrome" it would most likely a cheap steel that has been electroplated in chromium. with that being said.

This so called cheap dogdish stainless steel is technically steel mixed with chromium. Chromium was regarded with great interest because of its high corrosion resistance and hardness. A major development was the discovery that steel could be made highly resistant to corrosion and discoloration by adding chromium to form stainless steel.

now on to there quote

"It is not commercially practical to manufacture a chrome plated bowl that offers guaranteed performances with uniform chrome plated surfaces and all areas protected with a chrome coating. For your information the stainless steel selected for our shaving bowl resists the effects of shaving soap and cream just as well as chrome coatings. It also ideal for withstanding dramatic changes of temperature, almost impossible to scratch and very easy to clean. We have selected a high grade of stainless for the shaving bowl that offers guaranteed performance as well as perfectly matching the colour of chrome plating.

The amount of Chromium needed to make a simple bowl made of aluminum or steel to have the same characteristics as stainless steel would cost more as you are "plating" the bowl with chromium not mixing as it is done in stainless steel.

Top Bottom