What's new

Not a safety razor but liking Sensor Excel.

I've been shaving with the Sensor Excel for about two months and I've been getting awesome shaves. The razor has that nice late 1980s-early 1990s retro look, the razor is well balanced, feels good in the hand, has great grips on the handle and shaves close with zero irritation even under the neck. So far I've haven't gotten any ingrowns or weepers. Also, it's almost impossible to cut yourself or get nicks with this razor, so far I've had none. The cartridge is small to get to all those tight places, like under the nose. The cartridge seems to be lasting a long time, currently using the three bladed cartridge. I used to shave with this razor many years ago but wanted to shave with it again and I love this razor. Also another plus is, the handles, blades are a lot cheaper than the current Fusion series. They are about 65-70% cheaper. If you have to shave with a cartridge, like a travel razor, I would recommend this cartridge razor.

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I second that opinion. I had to pull mine out of the back of my drawer and into active duty for the last few days. I shipped my 38C off to a fellow B&B'er, my Slim hasn't arrived yet, and SWMBO doesn't want me to continue learning on my straight before xmas (doesn't want me all nicked-up for holiday parties), so it was eaither the Sensor Excel or my Weishi which has one broken door (don't know why I haven't throw it out yet :001_rolle).

Therefor me xmas shave was Sensor Excel (3rd shave on cart) using the TOBS Rose that Santa dropped for me this morning .... and what an excellent shave it was!

This is the razor I was using until I switched to DE shaving. I agree with everything positive that's been said, but I gave this razor to my wife because she'll probably never use up the cartridges I'd been hoarding, it really does give a close and nick-free shave and she likes it. But I just love the feel of my Super Speed in my hand and the whole experience of DE shaving. I know part of it is a nostalgia for a simpler time that probably never really existed, but I don't care. I get a lot more than a good shave out of my morning ablutions now. I get a happy feeling. To each his own. I have mine. Glad you found yours. Merry Christmas to all.

But I just love the feel of my Super Speed in my hand and the whole experience of DE shaving. I know part of it is a nostalgia for a simpler time that probably never really existed, but I don't care. I get a lot more than a good shave out of my morning ablutions now. I get a happy feeling. To each his own. I have mine. Glad you found yours. Merry Christmas to all.

I don't think cartridges come from Hades (unlike canned goo), but I love the whole DE experience. I have a feeling that cartridges may not even be that bad.

I don't think cartridges come from Hades (unlike canned goo), but I love the whole DE experience. I have a feeling that cartridges may not even be that bad.

For me it wasn't a matter of the cartridges performance, it was the prices. $20+ for only 6 carts is a little pricey for me.

After searching for an alternative, I stumbled across this site and the rest is history. I'm glad to have dumped the goo and over-priced carts for a more traditional experience. :thumbup1:

In my opinion, cartridge razors like the Gillette Sensor, Trac II and Atra shave just as good as a DE, maybe even a bit better, the problem with cartridge razors is primarily the high cost. I'm sure if the cost was kept down to a reasonable level, I'm sure there would be less people converting back to DE shaving.

In my opinion, cartridge razors like the Gillette Sensor, Trac II and Atra shave just as good as a DE, maybe even a bit better, the problem with cartridge razors is primarily the high cost. I'm sure if the cost was kept down to a reasonable level, I'm sure there would be less people converting back to DE shaving.

+1

I quite frequently use a Trac II, Atra, or Sensor, and get great shaves with them.

I can get Trac II/Atra carts for .20-.35 cents each, which is basically the same cost as a DE blade, so cost is not really an issue.

In fact one could argue it might be cheaper as for me DE blades are good for 3-4 shaves, while I can typically get 7 shaves from a cart.

These low cost blades are the Trac II/Atra combo blades available at Dollar General, and Wal-Mart.

The genuine Sensor carts can be bought for $1.50 each when bought in bulk, and I don't consider that to be very expensive either.

In general, I agree with this. The only issue I had with the Carts is that they shaved so close that I suffered with ingrowns. Carts will give a very close shave, and IMO the Sensor is the best of the bunch and is better that the later M3's and Fusions.

That said, I'm mostly using vintage Gillettes, and almost never carts.

-- John Gehman

I occasionally use a Trac II or Mach 3 and have to admit I get great results with a good prep and lather. I remember using the Sensor "back in the day" and the more I read about guys using them I may just have to get one to mess around with. Thanks, thanks a lot.:lol:

I still have my Sensor, which I'll often use as my "weekend" razor (along with my Mach 3) when I just want to shave quickly.

The only problem with these is knowing where to get legitimate, genuine replacement blades. The market, particularly Ebay, is flooded with counterfeit Sensor and Mach 3 cartridges, nearly all made in China, and it's not easy to tell the difference from photos. I fell for one of these once (cartridges sold in the U.S., by a U.S. Ebay seller with a 100% approval rating), and the blades were absolute garbage.

Jeff in Boston

+1

I quite frequently use a Trac II, Atra, or Sensor, and get great shaves with them.

I can get Trac II/Atra carts for .20-.35 cents each, which is basically the same cost as a DE blade, so cost is not really an issue.

I will agree also.
I love my Super Speed and Old Type but every couple weeks or so I will pull out my Trac II and have a nice shave with it. Not bad razors at all with a proper lather.
Wp

If you buy the cartridges from Walmart, Walgreens, Zellers and other big stores, I'm sure you are getting legit Gillette cartridges. If you want to save a few $$$, and buy them off Ebay, you are taking a gamble, odds are there is a good chance they are not legit Gillette carts and are counterfeit ones which would explain the lousy shaves.

The counterfeit ones have poor quality control over manufacturing, blades are dull and are out of alignment and plastics and steel used are poor quality. I would never buy and Gillette carts off of Ebay because there is no way to tell if they are legit until you receive/shave with them. Usually vendors selling large lots of carts for insane low prices are mostly the ones who are selling knockoffs. You know they saying, "if it's too goood to be true, it probably is."

Does anyone know a good source for an unused Sensor handle? Are they still in production? I'd actually like to pick one up for travel.

Does anyone know a good source for an unused Sensor handle? Are they still in production? I'd actually like to pick one up for travel.

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp16380/gillette_sensor/excel_razor_for_men.htm?fromsrch=gillette+sensor

Drugstore.com I believe is the online portion of Rite Aid.

I am sure they are available NOS all over Ebay as well. They are probably available locally as well. Check some of the smaller non-chain drug stores. I believe my local Rite Aid has them as well.

They are still being made in Brazil and the local walmart here seems to have a good amount of both handles and carts at pretty reasonable prices

I picked up a Sensor Excel on sale at my local K-Mart earlier this year. I plan to try it eventually, just out of curiosity.

A slight quibble with the title of the thread, sorry, but I enjoy quibbling. Cartridge razors are safety razors. There's just enough of an exposed cutting edge, or edges in this case, for shaving.

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp16380/gillette_sensor/excel_razor_for_men.htm?fromsrch=gillette+sensor

Drugstore.com I believe is the online portion of Rite Aid.

I am sure they are available NOS all over Ebay as well. They are probably available locally as well. Check some of the smaller non-chain drug stores. I believe my local Rite Aid has them as well.

Excellent, thank you! I am glad to see a well-established retailer still has them available. I can't remember the last time that I have seen any in a store, but I will keep my eyes open in some of the smaller ones around here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom