What's new

Not a hobby?

It was a chore for from the mid 70s until around 2015. Then it became something different and then and now it is relaxing ritual. Perhaps it has gained hobby status given the volume of razors, blades, brushes, soaps and aftershaves that have been acquired. The time spent on this forum does nothing to dissuade the hobby argument either.

However more than anything else it is a relaxing and comforting ritual that has helped me gain a brief respite from the daily troubles (my wife’s terminal illness and death, six years ago today) and stresses that life often brings.

Not a hobby for me. I'm glad I leaned how to shave properly and in the most enjoyable way, but I'd rather sit in a chair and stare at the ceiling for the 10 minutes it takes me to shave.

Part of the reason I switched to sharing every second day, was to use that time elsewhere doing other things.

Early on in my time on B&B, I would hit up antique stores and look for vintage razors etc, those days are long gone. I'm not really tempting by anything these days. If I was to stumble upon OS mugs or razors in my travels, I'd probably buy them though.

My '"hobby's" are mainly activities or interests I can generally share with friends and family, are physical and not performing grooming requirements alone in the bathroom.

Last edited:
It was a chore for from the mid 70s until around 2015. Then it became something different and then and now it is relaxing ritual. Perhaps it has gained hobby status given the volume of razors, blades, brushes, soaps and aftershaves that have been acquired. The time spent on this forum does nothing to dissuade the hobby argument either.

However more than anything else it is a relaxing and comforting ritual that has helped me gain a brief respite from the daily troubles (my wife’s terminal illness and death, six years ago today) and stresses that life often brings.
I agree with you on the relaxation aspect. It's my Moment of Zen in the morning when I have inner peace. It used to be a chore when I used cartridges and had to rush to work. I'm retired now so I can take a deep breath and relax and take my time.
I'm so sorry to hear of this sad anniversary for you. Good thoughts sent your way, sir.

I agree with you on the relaxation aspect. It's my Moment of Zen in the morning when I have inner peace. It used to be a chore when I used cartridges and had to rush to work. I'm retired now so I can take a deep breath and relax and take my time.
I'm so sorry to hear of this sad anniversary for you. Good thoughts sent your way, sir.
Thank you.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

I haven’t had to struggle through the passing of a spouse. I can’t imagine how difficult that must be. I’m glad shaving was a comfort to you in times of trouble.

Any other words of condolences would seem empty to me at this point, not because they wouldn’t be heartfelt, but because they are the only words. I’d rather share a cup of coffee or your beverage of choice along with you.

I haven’t had to struggle through the passing of a spouse. I can’t imagine how difficult that must be. I’m glad shaving was a comfort to you in times of trouble.

Any other words of condolences would seem empty to me at this point, not because they wouldn’t be heartfelt, but because they are the only words. I’d rather share a cup of coffee or your beverage of choice along with you.
Thank you

Hobbies are like gambling - you need to know when to quit before it's too late. I used to collect watches, knives and many other stuff, but after getting a few good products of each of them, I sold the rest of my collection and just kept 2-3 of them and that's it. I'm trying to do the same with the razor's, but I'm afraid that I'm very deep into the rabbit hole and I can't really do anything about it at the moment.

Having the willpower to sell your razor collection and just keep 2-3 of your favorite razors is probably the best thing anyone can do, but some of us still hope that the next razor is going to be the ''one'' and it's going to make us sell everything we have and move on, but that moment never really comes, does it?
Sometimes the joy of the hobby is the friends we make along the way..... the thrill of the hunt is in the chase. We are hardwired to seek but rarely are we satisfied by the kill. I am 100% an addict, and I have been sober for almost 10 years now. My addiction to more or chasing some mythical "one" is very real. Now a days it also manifests itself in razor shopping, watches, and guns. I do not hoard anything however, I buy something and use it for a while and then sell it. I too have found a razor, soap, aftershave, and brush that I could use for the rest of my life and be happy. I am pretty happy with my current watch, and guns. That being said I will indulge myself occasionally. Over doing anything will make me ill. Including moderation.

let’s call it what it is here…

“hobby” definition: an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.

whether it’s shaving when not required for your job, participating passively or actively on an enthusiast forum or other form of interaction with other interested folks, buying as an individual, selling as an individual, and/or collecting you’re doing a hobby.

this isn’t a hobby for people where shaving is solely just an act of personal care like brushing teeth. they do it and that’s all the time and thought it occupies in their day.

my god! could there possibly be a teeth brushing hobby? i’m not even going to Google it.

I guess it is a hobby for me. I went from cartridges, to vintage DE, to injectors, to GEM razors, to straight razors, then to replaceable blade straight razors, with a foray into AC razors thrown in there somewhere.

I have settled on replaceable blade straights with DE for certain places and for clean-up, and it suits me fine. I have a ton of razors I need to sell, but I don't seem to get around to it.

I started with replaceable blade straights in September of 2019 and I haven't looked back, so suspect I will be using them for a long, long time.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
With the Lupo and the Game Changer, you really did purchase two excellent razors. I remember after buying the Lupo .72 thinking...if I stopped here, I would be just fine. Well...that was true...however...I didn't stop there. But, it was true. Lupo and Game Changer are excellent razors.

Hobbies are like gambling - you need to know when to quit before it's too late. I used to collect watches, knives and many other stuff, but after getting a few good products of each of them, I sold the rest of my collection and just kept 2-3 of them and that's it. I'm trying to do the same with the razor's, but I'm afraid that I'm very deep into the rabbit hole and I can't really do anything about it at the moment.

Having the willpower to sell your razor collection and just keep 2-3 of your favorite razors is probably the best thing anyone can do, but some of us still hope that the next razor is going to be the ''one'' and it's going to make us sell everything we have and move on, but that moment never really comes, does it?
I sold the rest of my collection and just kept 2-3 of them and that's it. I'm trying to do the same with the razor's, but I'm afraid that I'm very deep into the rabbit hole and I can't really do anything about it at the moment.
I worked at minimizing my kit for over three years. It can be done.
but that moment never really comes, does it?
I considered Cart Shaving. Just that a needed shave 80% Enjoyment.
I consider DE shaving 50% hobby. 50% shave, even as a minimalist. 100% Enjoyment.

If you continue to eliminate third and fourth choices you’re left with two. It certainly is a process. I was a minimalist as a cart shaver. I just wanted to get “Back to the Future”. A fun three years. Mission accomplished.

My locked in kit, including fragrance.

Zenith B35 boar
SV Felce Aromatica
Single use Feather’s
Fatip Gold Grande

Minimalism allows me to be in my happy place shaving, with a satisfied mind.

IMG_0388.jpeg

Happy Shaves

A major factor for me in deliberately adopting traditional wet-shaving in early 2016 as a hobby (obsession/love affair/ daily spiritual break) was my intent to help myself kick my nicotine addiction. The premise for me was, I would be allowed to spend all the money I wanted on shaving gear, without feeling bad or ridiculous about it, as long as I stayed off tobacco.
And it worked (I can say now, 8 years on)! I succeeded in dropping tobacco once and for all, and stayed hooked on shaving forever after.
From that perspective I believe traditional wetshaving has actually saved me money, or at least I am breaking even in the bigger scheme of things -- not in terms of cartridges saved, but in terms of all the tobacco (and fees and taxes on tobacco) I don't pay for anymore. My rough estimate is that this really would add up to something not dissimilar to the amount I guess I now spend on shaving (if I was to add it up, which I refrain from doing).

Figure in the health dimension too -- and it really begins to look like a good deal.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
For me it is a mad obsessive compulsion to make myself feel better by constantly ordering stuff I don't need. It doesn't work, but I have a feeling that if I buy that jade Simpsons M7 in two band SiLVERTiP that I saw online this afternoon I will finally be happy.

Top Bottom