What's new

Not a Game Changer for me

I'll start by saying I loved the fit, finish and feel of the Game Changer. I really applaud RazoRock for putting out a great value in a premium stainless steel razor. I wanted to love it and use it as my go to daily driver (and I'm a 6 day a week shaver). But I didn't. I loved the balance, the look, the smoothness of the feel. Everything except the shave it left me with! I tried the .68 straight bar, the .68 Jaws and the .84 straight bar. None shaved me BBS and all left some irritation along my neck line. Tried feathers and astra blades. I used each base plate a handful of times. Today I pulled out the good old 1963 Gillette Slim adjustable. WTG set at 8, XTG at 4 and ATG at 2. Near BBS. (My usual settings would be 9, 6 and 3 but I was backing off a little due to irritation from yesterday's Game Changer shave). Much, much closer shave without irritation.

So, is there a stainless steel razor that might be right for me? Or do I simply need an adjustable to effectively deal with my course beard and sensitive neck? Should I start saving for the Rex Ambassador? (I'm not going to switch base plates in the middle of every shave). Until then it looks like I'm dating the girl next door who has been patiently waiting for me (the trusted Slim adjustable) and never lets me down.

I'll start by saying I loved the fit, finish and feel of the Game Changer. I really applaud RazoRock for putting out a great value in a premium stainless steel razor. I wanted to love it and use it as my go to daily driver (and I'm a 6 day a week shaver). But I didn't. I loved the balance, the look, the smoothness of the feel. Everything except the shave it left me with! I tried the .68 straight bar, the .68 Jaws and the .84 straight bar. None shaved me BBS and all left some irritation along my neck line. Tried feathers and astra blades. I used each base plate a handful of times. Today I pulled out the good old 1963 Gillette Slim adjustable. WTG set at 8, XTG at 4 and ATG at 2. Near BBS. (My usual settings would be 9, 6 and 3 but I was backing off a little due to irritation from yesterday's Game Changer shave). Much, much closer shave without irritation.

So, is there a stainless steel razor that might be right for me? Or do I simply need an adjustable to effectively deal with my course beard and sensitive neck? Should I start saving for the Rex Ambassador? (I'm not going to switch base plates in the middle of every shave). Until then it looks like I'm dating the girl next door who has been patiently waiting for me (the trusted Slim adjustable) and never lets me down.
Interesting. I own both Gillette Slim and GC68, and I love the shave with both razors. Slim definitely feels smoother but GC68 cuts nicely. As for a stainless steel razor for you..... maybe try Karve or CPTAT razor? Karve has brass option for a cheaper alternative and CPTAT has variety of plates for different blade gaps and combs.

Yes, I agree with you. It's a nice razor but not a game changer. Very average shave and feel. But must be said a great value.
And Slim is a magnificent razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may be a good candidate for a Rockwell 6S. The fit and finish are not as nice but it shaves well, almost mindless. Another candidate may be a Karve.

As to changing base plates between passes in the middle of a shave, I do it all the time with my Rockwell 6S and my Karve. I don't consider it any problem at all. Quite the opposite actually. I really like being able to fine tune how the razor works. I do it to avoid irritation, particularly in the neck area. If I rush through my shave cutting corners to save time I feel like I am defeating the purpose of wet shaving. But then I am retired and look at time a little differently than those who are still working.

I own the GC .84SB, .68SB, .68OC and .68 Jaws. The .84SB was a little to efficient for me as I shave a minimum of five times per week. I know what you mean regarding chasing the BBS feeling, especially, in the neck area. I recently purchased the Timeless Ti, with two base plates: .95 Scalloped/SB and .68 Scalloped (scratch and dent). (All Timeless Ti pieces are polished, if this makes a difference.) Right out of the gate I was impressed with the Timeless .95 shave. Amazingly smooth, and efficient for my face. In time, however, I found a little irritation creeping in when used as a daily driver. The .68 Scalloped, on the other hand, is a very nice overall fit for my face. It delivers a markedly improved shave in my trouble spot areas (neck) when compared to my GC .68 SB, with little to know irritation when uses five or six times per week. BTW, I don't like to use the GC Jaws as a daily driver. Full disclosure, I've only been into the wet shaving arena for seven or eight months, so take my observations for what they're worth.

Note: Having said all this, I recently purchased a GC .68SB as a gift for my brother to introduce him into the wet shaving experience. I think it is a fine razor and certainly well suited for a beginner, based upon my personal experience.

P.S.
I also own the Rockwell 6S. I stopped using it as I was prone to nicking myself with the exposed tabs. (I'm apparently not a surgeon.)

The Rockwell was only razor I sold after two weeks. I only use plate six, other plates was to mild for me and the razor itself was boring

I do it for enjoyment not for results only.

Interesting. I own both Gillette Slim and GC68, and I love the shave with both razors. Slim definitely feels smoother but GC68 cuts nicely. As for a stainless steel razor for you..... maybe try Karve or CPTAT razor? Karve has brass option for a cheaper alternative and CPTAT has variety of plates for different blade gaps and combs.
Thanks for replying. The .68 was extremely comfortable but simply too mild. I did actually look at Karve this morning. I like that they are offering widebody versions of their razors. I'm just not sure I can find one that hits the sweet spot for aggression without irritation for me. Maybe!

Karve is very smooth razor I have a F and G plates and it stays very smooth. You can feel the blade but it still smooth.

You may be a good candidate for a Rockwell 6S. The fit and finish are not as nice but it shaves well, almost mindless. Another candidate may be a Karve.

As to changing base plates between passes in the middle of a shave, I do it all the time with my Rockwell 6S and my Karve. I don't consider it any problem at all. Quite the opposite actually. I really like being able to fine tune how the razor works. I do it to avoid irritation, particularly in the neck area. If I rush through my shave cutting corners to save time I feel like I am defeating the purpose of wet shaving. But then I am retired and look at time a little differently than those who are still working.
Sounds like you have a similar issue around the neck. Maybe I'll have to get over my reluctance to using multiple plates. I've never heard a bad thing about Rockwell 6s. Very highly regarded razor for shave quality.

Karve is very smooth razor I have a F and G plates and it stays very smooth. You can feel the blade but it still smooth.

That may be what I try next. Also a great value for very attractive razor. Or perhaps Rockwell in 6s in black matte. The Rex looks beautiful but awfully pricey.

That may be what I try next. Also a great value for very attractive razor. Or perhaps Rockwell in 6s in black matte. The Rex looks beautiful but awfully pricey.

I have the father of the Rex, Gibbs adjustable. Very good razor and you can find them on very good price on EBay and Etsy
A matter of fact at a fraction of the cost of Rex

Astra SP and Feather: two blades I can never get a good shave with! But the fact you get good shaves with them in your GSA....tells me it's not the blade. Ever try a Gillette Silver Blue in any of the GC's? I never liked that blade in milder razors but it's pure magic in my GC 84 JAWS.

I have the father of the Rex, Gibbs adjustable. Very good razor and you can find them on very good price on EBay and Etsy
A matter of fact at a fraction of the cost of Rex

Hmm. Whats it made of? Nickle plated brass?

Astra SP and Feather: two blades I can never get a good shave with! But the fact you get good shaves with them in your GSA....tells me it's not the blade. Ever try a Gillette Silver Blue in any of the GC's? I never liked that blade in milder razors but it's pure magic in my GC 84 JAWS.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll get some Gillette SBs and try!

Razors and the faces they shave are prime YMMV territory. I shave well with my GC OC and JAWS, but I can’t get my Slim (in excellent condition) or any of my Superspeeds to work well for me.

And I really want to use and enjoy the generation of Gillettes that were young when I was. :001_unsur I wanna look sharp. Feel sharp. Be sharp. Not just hum the intro to Cavalcade of Sports.

Top Bottom