What's new

NOS Olympic Special Pioneer Old Type

The G in the D I've seen a few times on early Gillettes in France. Not sure why but that seems to be a common thread.

I think I have one of the other sets that this vendor had coming my way - can't wait for it to arrive!

can i please have it ill give it a good home nah but that is just insane what did you pay for that beast it is unbelivable

My set arrived today.

Completely factory sealed with the wrapper around the shipper still intact.

I also can't believe that there is 87 year old NOS out there, incredible really!

Well it's a few months later & another of these Olympic Pioneers appeared in my house. I wonder if the Yankees were still considered pioneers in 1924 -- or if Gillette was simply playing on this image of the Americans & Gillette pioneers in particular.

In any case, mine was sent me by my Dutch friend who found this set -- also sealed, but without the blades, without the instruction booklet, and without the split handle! How this handle escaped the fate of most is a mystery, but I'm glad for it.

These guys should get together sometime somewhere & talk about the 1924 Summer Olympics -- which they all seem to have attended. By the way, this was the Olympic games when the marathon race distance was standardized at 42.195 km, and the US didn't win any medals in cycling, didn't do very well in boxing, and was the country with the largest number of medals, beating out the 2nd place countries of France & Finland (!!) by almost 3 times! China didn't compete -- not did Germany or the USSR which was not really in a position to pull together a team.

But the razor set...
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Hope we all look so good when we're 87-years old!

Well it's a few months later & another of these Olympic Pioneers appeared in my house. I wonder if the Yankees were still considered pioneers in 1924 -- or if Gillette was simply playing on this image of the Americans & Gillette pioneers in particular.

In any case, mine was sent me by my Dutch friend who found this set -- also sealed, but without the blades, without the instruction booklet, and without the split handle! How this handle escaped the fate of most is a mystery, but I'm glad for it.

These guys should get together sometime somewhere & talk about the 1924 Summer Olympics -- which they all seem to have attended. By the way, this was the Olympic games when the marathon race distance was standardized at 42.195 km, and the US didn't win any medals in cycling, didn't do very well in boxing, and was the country with the largest number of medals, beating out the 2nd place countries of France & Finland (!!) by almost 3 times! China didn't compete -- not did Germany or the USSR which was not really in a position to pull together a team.

But the razor set...
Hope we all look so good when we're 87-years old!

So I'm curious, how was it sealed but without blades and instruction book?

Was this the third of the ones sold in that batch on eBay or completely seperate?

I'm still resisting opening mine :)

Jake, has your baseplate the G in D stamp too? Than it makes no sense to think it´s a repair stamp. I believe it´s a stamp for European sets made in USA.

Yes, mine has the G in D stamp too. And I too don't think this is a symbol related to a defective or repaired set. Unlikely Gillette would have sealed up such a beautiful razor & case with a repaired or even defective razor. I missed taking some photos of the underside of the head to illustrate that unusual mark.

I am not sure if this is set #3 or #4 of the ones in question. I think Achim might have #3. So there may be more than 4 sets still around. And although I did get mine with the cellophane wrapper inside the shipper, the seal had been opened so possibly the blades & instruction booklet had been taken by whomever opened the seal.

Great looking set for 87-years old. Would that we all survive aging as gracefully...

Jake, has your baseplate the G in D stamp too? Than it makes no sense to think it´s a repair stamp. I believe it´s a stamp for European sets made in USA.

All my single rings (silver plated) that have originated from Europe have had that mark. There is a thread suggesting it is a hallmark required for European silver and silver plated goods, the G possible for 'Gillette'. That makes sense to me but I have no evidence to support that theory. It makes more sense than NOS having these marks IMHO

Ummm, I'm feeling very ticklish is my stomach just looking at this.
How remarkable. How very very lovely. I'm quite impressed.
How delightful...
-- Chet

Yes, mine has the G in D stamp too. And I too don't think this is a symbol related to a defective or repaired set. Unlikely Gillette would have sealed up such a beautiful razor & case with a repaired or even defective razor. I missed taking some photos of the underside of the head to illustrate that unusual mark.

I am not sure if this is set #3 or #4 of the ones in question. I think Achim might have #3. So there may be more than 4 sets still around. And although I did get mine with the cellophane wrapper inside the shipper, the seal had been opened so possibly the blades & instruction booklet had been taken by whomever opened the seal.

Great looking set for 87-years old. Would that we all survive aging as gracefully...

i have the same set, although not in pristine condition & missing one blade box-also with the g in d marker on the undersurface of the razor. i also have a new improved silver big fellow with the same stamp.

I am not sure if this is set #3 or #4 of the ones in question. I think Achim might have #3. So there may be more than 4 sets still around.

"My set" in the OP and Achim's are one and the same. I decided to let the set go to a true collector like Achim, I'm more of a user than a collector (at least that's what I keep trying to tell myself!) and the thought of sullying this NOS razor didn't sit easily.

Interesting to know that Gillette was doing sports tie-ins so early in their history.

Great find and thanks for sharing.

I missed this thread and hadn't gotten the set when Jake asked me to post the pics - and I forgot. But here is my set:

$IMG_3989.jpg

$IMG_3987.jpg

$IMG_3988.jpg

Handle is not cracked, did not come in the wax sealed wrapper and has the G in D symbol. Very clean, very nice. And I have so very few sets in the shipper, so I like this one very much.

-jim

Top Bottom