What's new

NOS? Old Type

I agree that, once clean, it would be a candidate for re-plating. He has the usual cracks for a ball end handle, one at each end, but they are small and tight. I've yet to see that type of handle without cracks, but they are usually worse than his. The teeth all look good. I'm not sure why the OP thinks it was never used.
I agree with Doug that there is some nasty gunk on there. It almost looks like someone spilled something on it. You could try the old Scrubbing Bubbles. Don't worry about the value.

That was what I mainly was concerned about, the value. Didn't want to clean it up before I was sure I wouldn't spoil it. I'm going to clean it up and add it to the possible rotation line up. The reason I thought maybe it hadn't been use was the fact that it had what looked to be cosmoline on it. And it seems to appear that it has not been used. I will clean up and post pics. We can see then if it has possibly been used. Usually I find tell tale evidence of use, such as wear on the handle, dried soap residue in comb, this one I did not. I also have 4 or 5 Gold wash or plated ball end razors that came in the same "lot" that are (NEW OC 30's era) fortunately none have any cracks on the handle, and I like you have seen quite a few that are as you said, cracked.

I will clean it up and post more pics. if you like. Believe it to be silver coated. BTW have been cleaning vintage for quite some time, didn't know if it had some value as is. Sounds like no. Thanks for your advise.

Cleaning it might get a little bit more for resale but unless it is something with an ornate handle like the ABC pocket edition razors or a low serial number base plate they don't go for much. The condition is the condition regardless of if it needs a cleaning or not you can see that from the pictures now especially on the cap if you can see the shoulders on the top side.

It is possible it is silver plated, they certainly made some pocket edition sets with that handle that were silver plated that dated between 21 and 29. That is what you have unless when you clean the rest of the crud off the razor you find a serial number underneath it on the base plate.

The only US old types without serial numbers were produced those years. They also came with 2 types of caps the old types being designated as 102 and 102A depending the cap. They switched over in 21 far as I know, if your razor has no serial and a 102 cap then it is 21 for sure if not then 21 - 29.

Gillette Old Type- Thick or Thin

Here is my old type. I paid $5 for it in a pawn shop. You should have seen the before pictures. See how you can see the shoulders on the cap, that is how you know for sure it isn't NOS. The plating should cover that up. I shave with it at least once a month in this condition.
oldtype1.jpg

Cleaning it might get a little bit more for resale but unless it is something with an ornate handle like the ABC pocket edition razors or a low serial number base plate they don't go for much. The condition is the condition regardless of if it needs a cleaning or not you can see that from the pictures now especially on the cap if you can see the shoulders on the top side.

It is possible it is silver plated, they certainly made some pocket edition sets with that handle that were silver plated that dated between 21 and 29. That is what you have unless when you clean the rest of the crud off the razor you find a serial number underneath it on the base plate.

The only US old types without serial numbers were produced those years. They also came with 2 types of caps the old types being designated as 102 and 102A depending the cap. They switched over in 21 far as I know, if your razor has no serial and a 102 cap then it is 21 for sure if not then 21 - 29.

Gillette Old Type- Thick or Thin

It's definitely the (102A) the thicker top cap. There are no identifying numbers on this one, I'm cleaning it as we speak, wasn't sure of the exact time frame, thanks for that info. I've been trying to figure out by the Gillette date code page, what year the razors in this "lot" were manufactured. It is a bit vague on this time frame. Thanks for the link.

Here is my old type. I paid $5 for it in a pawn shop. You should have seen the before pictures. See how you can see the shoulders on the cap, that is how you know for sure it isn't NOS. The plating should cover that up. I shave with it at least once a month in this condition.
View attachment 929860

I have a 1919 single ring Old Type I just finished cleaning and polishing up, and just the center circle shows slightly. May not have been used much. I have a 1904 Single ring that I've had for a while just cleaned and sanitized. I'm going to polish it up very soon. The Silver plating is a nice finish.

I'd agree with those that suggest it looks like it's seen some use before. Plus, even if it hadn't been used before, it looks to be in a pretty average/common condition for this style and without an original case or box, I'd not think it would add much value in comparison to one that's been used. It's still a nice razor, but if the concern is value, I'd think cleaning it would be the best way to go.

I'd agree with those that suggest it looks like it's seen some use before. Plus, even if it hadn't been used before, it looks to be in a pretty average/common condition for this style and without an original case or box, I'd not think it would add much value in comparison to one that's been used. It's still a nice razor, but if the concern is value, I'd think cleaning it would be the best way to go.

That in fact is what I'm doing, cleaning it. I've further investigated it, and in fact it's been used. I know in old guns knives etc. they seem to hold a higher value if left as is.

R

romsitsa

Don’t fill the crack with solder. You can’t control the flow and some solder will leak into the knurled part. If you ever want to replate it, the solder will need a protective layer of brass as it reacts with plating metals, turning black.

Adam

The handle can be repaired.

Tutorial: Repair cracked handles/shafts in Gillette Old Types etc.

If you know how solder that can also be done to repair those cracks,

Clean the handle make sure the cracked area is free of debris

Mask off around the crack.

Apply the flux with a toothpick.

Heat under a flame not too hot.

Apply solder when hot enough just touch it to the crack if it smokes it is hot enough. It should fill the crack without leaving a mess if you do it carefully.

File or sand the excess off afterwards.

This should be okay to do without removing the plating if it is nickel.
That's a great tutorial. The cracks on this razor look so small and tight it might be better not to mess with them at this time. If he had it re-plated do you think it would fill or cover them?

Don’t fill the crack with solder. You can’t control the flow and some solder will leak into the knurled part. If you ever want to replate it, the solder will need a protective layer of brass as it reacts with plating metals, turning black.

Adam

Don't plan to get it replated, but very informative if ever I decided to replate a razor. Did clean up this razor and still needs a polish, but it has character. Thank you for letting me know this before I ruined a perfectly good vintage razor. The ball end and top of the handle seems very tight, I have seen them in much worse shape.

View attachment 929860

By the way, that razor could probably tell you many stories if it could talk, and truly has character.

Top Bottom