What's new

Norton Flattening stone left my 8k 12k rough?

I recently purchased a Norton Flattening stone to go with my Naniwa super stones and after I used it today I noticed the stones are both Very rough to the touch. Is this common? I used to use WD sandpaper and I never came out like this. It's visibly showing a rough surface on the stone. I will post pictures. Will it have any effect on the honing?

IMG_20200619_172119.jpgIMG_20200619_172131.jpg

I would guess from the details on their sIte that the roughness is appropriate. Never used one though. Its just meant to flatten, not dress the surface, right?

Features & Benefits
  • Coarse grit silicon carbide stone promotes fast results

If you use a nagura or w/d i imagine the surface would be more inline with what you want after flattening.

Last edited:
Agreed, it is not intended to dress a stone and may leave a rougher surface than desired on higher grit stones.

But for me the main problem was that the Norton flattening stone was itself not flat and so did not flatten my hones. I have switched to a diamond plate and now my hones are flat (and smooth).

I’d clean them up with W&D sandpaper or your DMT 600/1200. I think you have a DMT, if my shot-out memory serves me correctly.
I wouldn’t want chunks of abrasive rolling around on my finishers. It’s probably not that bad though.
Full disclaimer here: vvvv
It’s said not to use the fine/extra fine DMT to lapp stones due to diamonds possibly coming off and embedding in the stone.
That being said.
I’ve used my DMTs for a while to lapp stones without any issues. The 600/1200 puts a nice surface on my Gokumyos and Jnats. Can’t see it having an issue with something as soft as a superstone. YMMV

Norton flattening stone is worthless. Use the finest dmt u have. If u have finer sandpaper finish with that on a flat surface, or if not, after the dmt use your fine hones to gently dress/polish the surface of the other. Might sound weird but it works and I do that myself sometimes. Afterward, just run the stone under running water and do a few laps with a razor to get any remaining grit that might be imbedded. I figure, an 8k or 12k polished surface is better than a dmt 1200, which can leave a scratchy surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d clean them up with W&D sandpaper or your DMT 600/1200. I think you have a DMT, if my shot-out memory serves me correctly.
I wouldn’t want chunks of abrasive rolling around on my finishers. It’s probably not that bad though.
Full disclaimer here: vvvv
It’s said not to use the fine/extra fine DMT to lapp stones due to diamonds possibly coming off and embedding in the stone.
That being said.
I’ve used my DMTs for a while to lapp stones without any issues. The 600/1200 puts a nice surface on my Gokumyos and Jnats. Can’t see it having an issue with something as soft as a superstone. YMMV
Sold the DMT but ai have 600 and 800 WD sandpaper. I also went ahead and purchased the Naniwa finishing stone. It says its a 600 stone.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
600 grit is no finisher. If anything, it is a bevel setter.

Norton flattening stone is pretty nearly useless. Best way to lap a stone is with good quality wet/dry sandpaper stuck to a polished marble or granite tile (NOT CERAMIC OR COMPOSITION LOL!!!) with a very light spritz of spray adhesive. Try not to have too much uverrun. Don't rock the stone. Go 220 grit, then 400 and that is good enough. For an Arkie or other quartz bearing natural, go on with 1k, then burnish with a SS chef knife or similar. For synthetics you can burnish with the next coarser or finer stone.

Update to those that are interested.
I just received my Naniwa dressing stone. Soaked the whole lot and rubbed the stone against my whets. It significantly improved the "feel" on the stones. About to what it was before using the Norton.

I'm impressed with what this ~10 dollar puppy can do. If you don't have one it might be worth the small price. It cleaned up the swarf in my other stones too (which is it's original purpose, I know 😆)

Top Bottom