What's new

NOPE!!!

The best way to judge blades is "blindfolded," in other words, where you don't know what blade you are shaving with.

Free Dorco blades are often included when you buy a razor. I happened to leave one in a razor and forgot about it. When I got around to using that razor, I thought, this is a pretty good blade. When I opened it up, I was surprised to find a Dorco.

My theory is that a basic stainless blade (no platinum, etc.) that is a bit rough in the bevel grind can be an efficient shaver (in an appropriate razor and with an appropriate soap) because it seems to get hold of the whiskers better than an ultra-smooth setup. The same applies to the Gillette-Wilkinson blades.

Obviously, there is a market for Dorco blades, in part because they are inexpensive (probably more so in Asia), and even if they are not super sharp, these users probably get several shaves from them. Asian barbers probably get a good shave with one with a Shavette.

If you haven't had a worse blade than Dorco, you haven't travelled; there are a ton of blades, especially in India, that are far worse. Dorco is better than 90 percent of India blades, and better than the old-brand Chinese blades.

That said, the Dorco blades I have used are a cut above mediocre. There are better blades in this price range, and there are worse. If they were the only blade I could buy, I could live with them -- unlike a lot of other blades I could name.

Some famous old name brands are remarkably bad now that they are owned by P&G, and seem to be coasting on their reputation. If you don't believe me, do a blindfold test with these blades. If you are doing it yourself, this works best if you have two or three identical medium aggressive razors. Load some blades in, mix them up, let them sit a few days (or until you forgot what you put in there), then shave. For best results, use the blades for more than one day, blindfolded.

While I rarely use Dorcos, and so am not endorsing them, I think they would score better in a blindfold test than some famous blades you see often recommended on this site.

Top Bottom