What's new

Noble Otter - Wow!!!!!

I received my order from Maggard's yesterday that contained my first three Noble Otter soaps. I had tried a sample of Flying Hide a few weeks back and was in awe of the performance and scent, so decided to order a few of their offerings. I received the Flying Hide, Barrbarr, and LoneStar, all of which are top notch in their scent profiles.

I decided to use the Flying Hide this morning for my shave and all I can say is Wow!!! This stuff, in my opinion, performs better then any of my other soaps in my lineup, which include Barrister and Mann Reserve, Declaration Grooming Bison, Wholly Kaw donkey milk, etc.

If you haven't tried Noble Otter yet, I highly suggest that you do. I know that desired scents are highly different among all individuals, but these scents are light, but very subtle and nice. The slickness to this soap is amazing and I think the benefit I love the most about Noble Otter is the post shave feel that you get, I haven't had this great of post shave feel from any other soap base/brand.

Do yourself a favor if you haven't and try this stuff out, it has taken over my top spot as my go to soap.

...I decided to use the Flying Hide this morning for my shave and all I can say is Wow!!! This stuff, in my opinion, performs better then any of my other soaps in my lineup, which include Barrister and Mann Reserve, Declaration Grooming Bison, Wholly Kaw donkey milk, etc....

Let's not go overboard here. Noble Otter has some good scents and is a good performer, but the three you compared them to are a tier above in the opinions of most and with good reason IMO.

Let's not go overboard here. Noble Otter has some good scents and is a good performer, but the three you compared them to are a tier above in the opinions of most and with good reason IMO.
That is one thing that I love about the options that are available to all of us and the opinions that we all have about the hardware and software that we own and our own individual interpretations that we develop from those shaving experiences.

I don't suspect that I went overboard with my own personal opinion, because that is what it is. But I do know that I thoroughly enjoyed this brand and will continue to do so, I was just thoroughly pleased with this acquisition and thought I would share of my personal opinion of, and experience with, Noble Otter.

in my opinion, you're opinion is you're opinion. and his opinion is his opinion. and their opinion is theirs. of course.....that's all just my opinion.
but i will say, I have only tried The Noire et Vanille and i think it's pretty damn good lol.

in my opinion, you're opinion is you're opinion. and his opinion is his opinion. and their opinion is theirs. of course.....that's all just my opinion.
but i will say, I have only tried The Noire et Vanille and i think it's pretty damn good lol.
I think I may have to order that one soon, I have read great things about that one to.

Noble Otter is one of my top 3 soaps...fantastic lather, great slickness, awesome scents. Cody can do no wrong in my book (except these weird LE offerings that come out and are password protected).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Noble Otter is one of my top 3 soaps...fantastic lather, great slickness, awesome scents. Cody can do no wrong in my book (except these weird LE offerings that come out and are password protected).

I fully agree with you. I saw that offering with the password protection was curious about that soap and its profile.

I have used a few other soaps that have included bentonite clay, specifically Wild West Shaving Co. soaps, and have had very good performance with those, so I am not sure if that is what is allowing these Noble Otter Soaps to perform so well for me, but noticed that he includes that in his ingredients also.

I don't want to over speculate, will just enjoy the product to the fullest and will be happy that I took a chance on NO.

Performance wise, I agree with you. But for me personally, when I factor scent into the equation, Noble Otter is on average the better buy for me. And once price is considered, it further changes the picture.

Mind you...I have owned or still own the other soaps mentioned. Of those, DG Bison is my favorite and I am still using that one. WK DK Monaco Royale was an allstar performer, but the scent was merely ok to start and I got progressively more tired of it all the way until I had used up the tub and was glad it was gone. B&M Reserve, I just found too difficult to lather, so I got rid of it. When I could get the lather right, the shaves were awesome, but much of the time, I had problems getting the lather going at all. And the scent always seemed slightly artificial, although perfectly pleasant.

So while you may have certain preferences, that doesn't mean the rest of us experience the same soaps in the same way. As we always say here, YMMV.

Noble Otter is definitely an excellent soap, especially when you compare it to others at that price point. I shaved with Lonestar this morning. It has excellent slickness and cushion when properly hydrated, but I put the post shave conditioning and moisturizing slightly behind to elite soaps in my den. If you routinely use an aftershave balm or if your skin does not require moisturizing and conditioning, I can understand why you rate it so highly. The only aftershave product I normally use is plain Witch Hazel, so I look for soaps that are loaded with skin nourishing ingredients. Noble Otter has some of these ingredients, but not as many as some other soaps. Since we are all different, we evaluate products differently.

Haha , well said
In my opinion !

Just finished my first shave with Noble Otter Flying Hide. It's fantastic!!! I read some a post about it somewhere where the OP suggested adding a lot of water but adding it slowly. This stuff was slick. I have B&M (reserve, glissant, and excelsior), Wholly Kaw Donkey Milk, and several other, and this is top tier stuff for me. I even think the smell is fantastic.

I have to agree with Bogeyman here. Noble Otter does make some nice soaps; I have six of them. They are easy to load, have great slickness and great cushion when properly hydrated. However, Wholly Kaw donkey milk has these things plus better residual slickness and better postshave. B&M Reserve offers better postshave conditioning than NO. I rate the residual slickness of Declaration Grooming Bison tallow to be slightly better than Noble Otter, but I must admit that I prefer the Noble Otter scents to DG; I find a "gamey" undertone in the DG scents, presumably from the bison tallow.

Thus, I would rate WK donkey milk an "A+" elite soap, B&M Reserve and DG Bison Tallow to be "A" soaps and Noble Otter an "A-" soap based on performance alone. All of them will give a nice shave. Not everyone considers residual slickness and post shave conditioning to be as important as I do, so I can see how others might rank the soaps differently.

Also, I do not consider price point in my rankings. I am only looking at performance. If I were to consider price, more expensive soaps like WK would be ranked lower and moderately priced soaps like NO would be ranked higher. At the current price point Noble Otter provides exceptional value and holds a respected place in my den. I do not hesitate to recommend the soap, even if it does not quite make it into my elite list.

Although I do not factor it into my ratings, I really like the packaging and artwork on the Noble Otter products.

I will be attending the Maggards Meetup in a couple of weeks, Noble Otter will be represented as a vendor and will be releasing a couple of new soaps; I suspect I will come away with another addition to my den.

In my personal opinion, Noble Otter is among the elite scent creators out there. I would rank Thé Noir et Vanille and Lonestar as two of the very best soap scents in my den. The performance is darn good too.

I've read a lot of good things about Noble Otter so I ordered a sample of 'Barrbarr' from Maggards.

I've used it twice now and both times it lathers up nicely at first, but then completely falls apart for the 2nd, 3rd passes. It becomes very flat, full of air bubbles and is pretty much unusable... I've never seen a soap act like this before.

Maybe I got a sample from a bad batch?? Something is definitely not right here :(

That's not good to hear. I don't have that issue with my Noble Otter soap. I also don't have the Barrbarr and don't know if there can be variances between scents.

Top Bottom