What's new

Noble Otter - Wow!!!!!

I've read a lot of good things about Noble Otter so I ordered a sample of 'Barrbarr' from Maggards.

I've used it twice now and both times it lathers up nicely at first, but then completely falls apart for the 2nd, 3rd passes. It becomes very flat, full of air bubbles and is pretty much unusable... I've never seen a soap act like this before.

Maybe I got a sample from a bad batch?? Something is definitely not right here :(

I have seven Noble Otter soaps, including Barrbarr. The only time I have had any difficulty lathering it is when I try to build a lather using my Semogue boar and that might be a technique thing. I have no issue with badger, horsehair, or synthetic brushes. I load the brush for about 25-30 seconds and then bowl lather using 1 Tablespoon of hot tap water. Depending upon the amount of soap in the brush, I might need to add a little more water to get the right consistency. I usually get enough lather for at least 4 passes.

I've read a lot of good things about Noble Otter so I ordered a sample of 'Barrbarr' from Maggards.

I've used it twice now and both times it lathers up nicely at first, but then completely falls apart for the 2nd, 3rd passes. It becomes very flat, full of air bubbles and is pretty much unusable... I've never seen a soap act like this before.

Maybe I got a sample from a bad batch?? Something is definitely not right here :(
I own 6 of their soaps and have never had a problem lathering. It sounds to me like the lather you make has too much water in it. Noble Otter lather does tend to not me quite as creamy as GD or DG for example, but if you get a bubbly unstable lather, it seems like either you mix in too much water or the sample is shot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I own 6 of their soaps and have never had a problem lathering. It sounds to me like the lather you make has too much water in it. Noble Otter lather does tend to not me quite as creamy as GD or DG for example, but if you get a bubbly unstable lather, it seems like either you mix in too much water or the sample is shot.

But like I said, the initial lather is great! Then it falls apart when I go to do the second and 3rd passes. I'm not really adding any extra water after the first pass.

But like I said, the initial lather is great! Then it falls apart when I go to do the second and 3rd passes. I'm not really adding any extra water after the first pass.

Do you have any other scents you are interested in from NO? Do you mind using pre-owned soap? If you want, I can ship you one of my pucks (maybe Flying Hide? or BarrBarr?) for you to get the benefit to load directly from the tub.

Also...what brush are you using? And for the record...I always reload after pass #2 and then use the rest of the lather for pass #3 and comfort lather.

Do you have any other scents you are interested in from NO? Do you mind using pre-owned soap? If you want, I can ship you one of my pucks (maybe Flying Hide? or BarrBarr?) for you to get the benefit to load directly from the tub.

Wow, thank you very much for that offer. I'd love to try Flying Hide!

I really suspect something is wrong with the one I received from Maggards. I'm probably not explaining it well, but it does legitimately seem to have an issue. I've never seen a lather fall apart like this.

Also...what brush are you using? And for the record...I always reload after pass #2 and then use the rest of the lather for pass #3 and comfort lather.

I've tried it with 2 brushes: Simpson 58 Badger and a Semogue TSN LE Boar

Both times I've used a lot of product, so I didn't feel the need to re-lather... but I can certainly try that

Wow, thank you very much for that offer. I'd love to try Flying Hide!

I really suspect something is wrong with the one I received from Maggards. I'm probably not explaining it well, but it does legitimately seem to have an issue. I've never seen a lather fall apart like this.

I will mail you the Flying Hide. All I ask is that you don't sell it if you don't like it. Just let us know how it works out and PIF it to someone else here participating in this thread and interested. If you are cool with those terms, just PM me your address. I still have it, but I don't know if it is accurate anymore since it's been a while since I shipped you the Oleo Providence which was months ago.

I will mail you the Flying Hide. All I ask is that you don't sell it if you don't like it. Just let us know how it works out and PIF it to someone else here participating in this thread and interested. If you are cool with those terms, just PM me your address. I still have it, but I don't know if it is accurate anymore since it's been a while since I shipped you the Oleo Providence which was months ago.

Awesome! Thanks so much... and yes, if it doesn't work for me I will gladly PIF to another member.

That's not good to hear. I don't have that issue with my Noble Otter soap. I also don't have the Barrbarr and don't know if there can be variances between scents.
I very much doubt that there is any difference between the soaps if they are the same base and I believe that they are. I think we are dealing with user error here. This is not meant as a put-down to the poster having a problem. We all have such problems from time to time. I have three Noble Otter soaps and have never had a problem creating a nice serviceable lather. I do not mean to damn by faint praise as I have found the performance top tier and the scents created by NO elite.

Has anybody tried Orbit yet?

I picked up a tub of Orbit at the Maggard Meet where it was released prior to general sale. It performs like the other NO soaps I have in the den, that is to say just slightly short of my elite soaps.

The soap is said to contain "Frozen Space". I asked Cody about this at the meet. He said that the soap did not contain menthol, but the soap contains an ingredient that provides a cooling effect. My face does not tolerate menthol well, so I knew there was some risk trying the soap. I do get some minor skin irritation from the soap, but not enough to prevent me from using it.

Here are the other scent notes: Bergamot, Eucalyptus, Atlas Cedarwood, Rose, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Frozen Space.

Just shaved with Flying Hide earlier today. If you love leather I'm sure you'd love this soap. I have DG, GD, WK, Fine, Tabac, SV, Stirling, Haslinger, etc. in my rotation. They all have their nuances and I like them all for various reasons. Nobel Otter, at least Flying Hide, doesn't lack in any area of performance for me. Oh, I use a Semogue boar brush.

A few things: I own 6 NO soaps and there is zero difference in performance between them. They all perform identical for me. I shaved with Nectar Amissa this morning and got an excellent lather as always. NO isn't the very best lather of any soap I own, but it is a top tier soap in every way.

Props to you for that offer! Perfect example of how this is a great community!

A few things: I own 6 NO soaps and there is zero difference in performance between them. They all perform identical for me. I shaved with Nectar Amissa this morning and got an excellent lather as always. NO isn't the very best lather of any soap I own, but it is a top tier soap in every way.

Agreed. Their scents have been kinda hit or miss for me but the base is great. I definitely plan on getting samples of Orbit and Plunder eventually.

Just reading this thread is another reminder about how we are spoiled for choice. So many quality options out there. Yet another soap to try.

Well, Steffen was kind enough to send me a tub of Flying Hide to test against the sample of Barrbarr I received from Maggards. As I mentioned, the Barrbarr did not work well at all for me... so much so I suspected something was wrong with the batch itself.

Well the Flying Hide worked perfectly... no issues. The lather held together great through out the entire shave.

So ya, something was in fact wrong with the sample I received from Maggards.

PS. Love the scent of Flying Hide. Very pleasing leather notes.

And a huge thank you to Steffen!

I am so thrilled it all worked out. I am a big fan of Noble Otter soaps, so if I even helped one other forum member enjoy the soaps as much as I do, I feel like we did goodas a community.

I had a sample of Barrbarr and the same happened to me..

Top Bottom