What's new

No Sleep 'til Hammersmith - Classic Album Discussion

Motőrhead. The legendary British outfit was born out of the milieu of mid-70s acid rock, punk rock and classic rock and roll. Too much rock for the punks and too much punk for the rockers, Motőrhead has always forged their own path. They are fast, loud and brash, just like their iconoclastic leader: Lemmy Kilmister. Put simply, Lemmy is the man. Off stage Lemmy can be quite engaging. He is articulate, thoughtful and unbelievably funny. Lemmy’s description of Motőrhead explains it all: If Motőrhead moved into a house, the neighbor’s grass would die. However, on the stage Lemmy is one mean SOB. Fueled by an unhealthy concoction of booze and drugs, possessed by the undead soul of Eddie Cochran ripped to the gills on methamphetamines, Lemmy is not on stage to do anything but kick your :censored: with rock and roll.

The best demonstration recorded of this effect on the listeners of Motőrhead is No Sleep ‘til Hammersmith. It has been described as the one album to play at maximum volume if you hate your neighbors. It also happens to be one of the greatest live slabs of hard rock ever released. No Sleep ‘til Hammersmith came on the heels of their first four albums, three of which are certifiable: Overkill, Bomber and Ace of Spades. No Sleep… is a collection of some their greatest tunes from their humble beginnings to their ascendancy of the charts. No Sleep… is the aural equivalent of the precise moment a speeding train loses contact with the rails and careens out of control.

Kick-started by the rumblings of “Ace of Spades”, the listener is catapulted at breakneck speed through a set of classic Motőrhead. Lemmy’s distorted bass and gravel-throat, coupled with Phil “Philthy Animal” Taylor’s shambolic drumming and “Fast” Eddie Clarke’s sinewy leads literally beats the crowd into submission. Almost every tune is perfect. The thunder of “Ace of Spades”, the slow burn of “Iron Horse/Born to Lose”, the pummeling force of “Overkill”…it is almost too much. But for my money, the barreling “Bomber” is the essence of the album. It is in “Bomber” that Motőrhead achieves the sense that the song, if not the band, is breaking apart by sheer force. One can only imagine the stage during the show: dominated overhead by a lighted fuselage, diving and churning as the band ripped through the tune. Awesome. The band comes back under control, finishing the set with the chugging anthem “Motőrhead”. Re-enforcing the fact that they are Motőrhead and they just kicked your :censored:.

More please, sir.
proxy.php

Track list:
1. Ace of Spades
2. Stay Clean
3. Metropolis
4. The Hammer
5. Iron Horse/Born to Lose
6. No Class
7. Overkill
8. (We are) The Road Crew
9. Capricorn
10. Bomber
11. Motőrhead

When the mood strikes me, Motorhead hits the spot like few other bands. Since that mood strikes less and less rarely as I mellow (read: get older), I am only familiar with "Ace of Spades." Which is a fantastic, hard driving rock album. Despite their reputation, Motorhead isn't heavy metal, this is hard rock in the finest sense of the phrase. Now I am going to have to track down "No Sleep 'til Hammersmith."

Last edited:
Despite their reputation, Motorhead isn't heavy metal, this is hard rock in the finest sense of the phrase.
I respectfully disagree. Motörhead is about as metal as it gets. The guitar almost always overwhelms and Lemmy's singing is characteristic of a lot of heavy metal music. My definition of hard rock is defined mostly by bands like Deep Purple and Blue Öyster Cult (there's that umlaut again...). By the way, I don't think keyboards are characteristic of hard rock, but I do love a proper keyboard solo. :tongue_sm

Even though Lemmy and Co. have been influential in metal circles they have never considered themselves "metal". Same goes for "punk". As far as Lemmy sees it, they play rock and roll in the vein of Chuck Berry and Eddie Cochran. It is granted that they play this rock and roll at full speed and the volume at 11.

I had the opportunity to see them in L.A. a few years ago. I was 22 at the time, and have gone to a lot of shows, but nothing compares to Motorhead. I had a headache the entire next day. me and my friends still talk about how loud it was..

I respectfully disagree. Motörhead is about as metal as it gets. The guitar almost always overwhelms and Lemmy's singing is characteristic of a lot of heavy metal music. My definition of hard rock is defined mostly by bands like Deep Purple and Blue Öyster Cult (there's that umlaut again...). By the way, I don't think keyboards are characteristic of hard rock, but I do love a proper keyboard solo. :tongue_sm

And I respectfully disagree with your respectful disagreement. From a purely technical perspective, Hard Rock and Heavy Metal are very similar. Both genres are loud, aggressive guitar oriented rock. As such, the line between Metal and Hard Rock is not well defined - bands can be considered both Metal and Hard Rock. Both are lousy with machismo. Essentially, heavy metal is darker and more menacing. Thus, according to my calculus, bands like AC/DC and Motorhead qualify as Hard Rock while others such as Slayer and Black Sabbath are Metal.

And I respectfully disagree with your respectful disagreement. From a purely technical perspective, Hard Rock and Heavy Metal are very similar. Both genres are loud, aggressive guitar oriented rock. As such, the line between Metal and Hard Rock is not well defined - bands can be considered both Metal and Hard Rock. Both are lousy with machismo. Essentially, heavy metal is darker and more menacing. Thus, according to my calculus, bands like AC/DC and Motorhead qualify as Hard Rock while others such as Slayer and Black Sabbath are Metal.
I think AC/DC is one of those cases where it is difficult to say if it's Hard Rock or Heavy Metal. Van Halen is also one of those cases (at least, their first album). I wouldn't call AC/DC heavy metal, though.

Edit: I think the biggest difference between hard rock and metal (as I experience it) is that hard rock is much more balanced. Heavy metal is very guitar-centric. Some of the best hard rock albums pay an equal amount of attention to all the instruments: guitar, bass guitar, drums, keyboards, vocals. I think especially in heavy metal the drums are just kind of there. Also, heavy metal is typically more aggressive. I think heavy metal that focuses more on certain instruments, like bass guitar on Iron Maiden's Killers, and drums on Judas Priest's Stained Class, is more enjoyable. Also, the two records I just mentioned are awesome. Check them out if you haven't already.

Last edited:
Okay, I will take the bait. Lemmy vs. Chuck Norris...?
Chuck Norris throws a roundhouse kick in to the bass guitar Lemmy attempts to smash into Norris' face. The resulting collision has 100 times the force of The Big Bang and destroys the universe. The universe is somehow reborn, and somehow kicks more ***.

Harkening back to old SNL- Quien es mas macho? Lemmy or Montalban?

Now that ladies and gentlemen is a tough call.

Motorhead get the big thumbs up from me and especially this record. I remember as a kid seeing the Young Ones on MTV. I still remember the episode where Motorhead played "Ace of Spades". I couldn't believe what I was watching and I firmly believe that performance was the gateway into the world of heavy metal at the ripe old age of 12. 25 years later, no matter how crazy my metal tastes have gotten, sometimes nothing gets the juices flowing better than 3 chords and a bottle of Jack Daniels and the amps cranked to volume 11.

Yeah, he actually went with a cleanly shaved face for the We are Motorhead album. Would have hated to be the designated barber for that shoot!

I actually have a pretty cool Motorhead tale. Years ago they made a swing through Madison, WI and I scored a ticket and an All Access pass. No too shabby of a deal. After the show I was out back with Phil Campbell sharing a smokes and just jawing. He is a pretty low key guy. Well, while we we chatting I noticed the one-man road crew trying to get the load-out together. I asked him if he wanted some help and he said yeah...so I guess I can claim that I was once a roadie for Motorhead. After we got the cases loaded, we hit the tour bus. I must say, they had the ugliest groupies I have ever seen in my life. Dee, the drummer, was pawing all over two of them...he must have been really zonked. Anyway, you might be asking where is Lemmy portion of the story. Well, Lemmy walked right by me in a hallway backstage- his hands full of I can only assume was Jack and Coke. He walked by without even acknowledging my existence. It was about what I expected. Cool none the less. Can't blame him, the lighting guy told me that he saw Lemmy drinking when the bus arrived...at 11AM. That guy must have 3 livers.

Lemmy's moles destroy chuck norris....
imaging hitting that mess with a slant hd and a feather!
proxy.php

I don't think those count as moles. I think they qualify as warts, weapons of mass destruction, and, possibly, continents. After WWIII, there will be cockroaches, Lemmy, and maybe Keith Richards.

proxy.php

Top Bottom