What's new

No More Purchases?

Who here is satisfied with what they have concerning shave gear and not wanting much if anything else? I’ve been trying to tame my acquisition disorders and lately it’s been tough. And I thought I was a minimalist! A Rockwell 6c s looking good to my eyes currently... so is another brush.

I only have things from a few select makers that I'll buy anymore. I've gotten to this point only after already buying just about everything and becoming extremely selective. These items are unfortunately very pricey and terribly difficult to get. I suppose this is good and bad. Good because it's making it hard to spend money but bad because when I do it's usually quite a bit at one time.

Who here is satisfied with what they have concerning shave gear and not wanting much if anything else? I’ve been trying to tame my acquisition disorders and lately it’s been tough. And I thought I was a minimalist! A Rockwell 6c s looking good to my eyes currently... so is another brush.

I'm starting a four-year leap year sabbatical with no resupplies except for the last brush or razor if they break.
I'm also going to start a ten-year 2020s sabbatical with no resupplies except for the last brush or razor if they break.

I'll be using a single setup (except maybe for blades) for both sabbaticals. Others are drawing from their current holdings.

I'll buy 24 pucks of Williams and 200 Astra SP blades.

I'm 176 shaves into a Cal Ripkin Williams Mug Soap challenge - that's 2,682 shaves in a row with WMS.

Last edited:
Great concept!

BUT Christmas is coming. I don’t need another sweater, so I may as well hope for shaving kit!! :a17:

I thought I was a minimalist, I gave away many razors and brushes and soaps but every now and then I see a new razor or brush that I just have to try. It's not easy to resist around here.

I quit chasing the latest and greatest soap bases because the expense really gets out of hand
and it's not like a lot of us don't already have a more than life time supply of soap.
My latest purchase was a tuck of Feather and Nacet blades as I hadn't tried either but
read good reviews. I was concerned about the Feather's as the forums told me that it's possible to
cut your jugular vein and bleed out on the bathroom floor. I discovered that must be an old wives tale.
Also included a bottle of RR "Dead Sea" a bottle of Proraso green, and a tub of RR tallow "Aqua"
shaving soap.The soap was on sale for $2.95 ,complete order with shipping total of about 30 bucks.

Curiosity is one of my arch nemesis. I'm not trying to try everything, but every now and again something piques my curiosity so I place an order. I like variety along with some classics. And if you dangle a deal or one-time sale of something that I've been casually eyeballing, my wallet breaks into a sweat.

I'm starting a four-year leap year sabbatical with no resupplies except for the last brush or razor if they break.
I'm also going to start a ten-year 2020s sabbatical with no resupplies except for the last brush or razor if they break.

I'll be using a single setup (except maybe for blades) for both sabbaticals. Others are drawing from their current holdings.

I'll buy 24 pucks of Williams and 200 Astra SP blades.

I'm 176 shaves into a Cal Ripkin Williams Mug Soap challenge - that's 2,682 shaves in a row with WMS.
That is some commitment. Good luck. I've never been able to make it past April in a yearly sabbatical.

I would love to say my acquisition disorder will be curbed as I feel I have the perfect razors and plenty of blades, soaps and creams to last me many, many years. But..... I am sure I will fall off the wagon for some thing or another. Isn't that what we do here, enable one another and taunt with reviews on the latest and greatest. I do love every minute of it!

I never chased the perfect soap, the perfect razor, the perfect brush. That's where people get lost, I got 2 razors that give me great results. Are there razors that could give me even better shaves? Probably. Should I chase them? Absolutely not. As for soaps, I don't buy the latest and greatest. I try to buy soaps that are proven to be good and are reasonably priced. Yes I know, I know MDC is great value cause you get 30 billion shaves from it and it has fairy dust...but let's not go down that road.

I'm going to reorder some stuff in the restocking period we get between sabbatical years: blades, MdC rose, LPL Rose de Pushkar, Tcheon Fung Sing Bergamot Neroli hard soap, Fine Italian Citrus. Oh, 4711 cologne, used as an aftershave.

But I am still on the fence about going the formal sabbatical: I think I have gained enough self-control to police my wants successfully.

Blades seem to be the main thing I want to get more of...and I am set for years with them. Soaps are fine for now and I only use 2 kinds mainly. I’ve got some TOBS Sandalwood cream too that gets occasional use. But damn! I really need that new brush! Maybe I should quit trying to quit.

I think there is a vast experimentation phase. Enjoy the journey.

After 5 years or so, I'm starting to get to the point of focusing on what I love for razors and soaps. That said, some higher end brushes are catching my eye. Basically it goes:
Phase 1 - get into wet shaving to shave money.
Phase 2 - learn to wet shave and say you'll be a minimalist.
Phase 3 - love wet shaving and want to try absolutely everything.
Phase 4 - re-mortgage the house.
Phase 5 - realize you have wayyyy too much and start whittling it down.
Phase 6 - pare down to what you love.
Phase 7 - stay at Phase 6 or go back to Phase 3.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have many weak areas in wet shaving. But the only one that I cave on every single time is: aftershave lotions. They are my Kryptonite! I could easily become an aftershave hoarding cat lady.

I was never a good AD candidate.

I got blade acquisition disorder, so I have more than 500, but that's a good thing, because I'm sorted for a decade, and maybe for keeps, with a load of Israeli Personnas and Astra SP.

I have a Rockwell 6S and 6C, so for getting a decent shave, I am also fixed.

Need-based shave stuff completed. Tick. Done.

It will all be curiosity-based now, and the thing that's really burning away at the edge of that is the SLOC.

I definitely have everything that I need but things I want to try out is another question. I'm pretty good on blades as most of them work well for me. Razors, I'm getting there but the Russian Start razor has piqued my interest a bit. Aftershaves/WHs are just use whatever I have for me. Usually just Thayer's works fine.

Now for shaving brushes, I just can't seem to stop looking for the next one! I have enough to work with but so many artisans put out beautiful looking brushes. I have couple handles that I am waiting to knot. I am looking for couple more to "complete" my collection. I don't know where the limit is but I'm definitely handing off some of my older brushes to make space.

My ADs have been losing their punch lately, almost on life support.

I've got plenty of razors, unless something piques my curiosity. That Oneblade Core @ $20 ambushed me recently.
I have enough blades to last as long as I'm likely to be shaving myself, about 10 years worth of soaps and 5 years worth of PSBs.

But I keep coming here, and every now and then, I read about a new product that intrigues me. (Ooh, shiny!)
So I'll watch the Black Friday sales very closely.

I've slowed down considerably, though I now set aside some funds for treating myself to a little something during The Big Shave Southwest. I don't buy things anymore that I 'might' like. I have to love them.

I have 20+ vintage Gillette razors. There are about six I would be happy with being my sole razors for the rest of my life. I also have enough Gillette 7 o'clock black blades to last me for 18 years since I get about 30 shaves per blade. This doesn't include the 200 or so Polsilver and Nacet blades also in my collection. I'm pretty sure I have enough soaps to last me 10+ years unless some of the creams go bad.

Top Bottom