What's new

No blades for now - electric recommendation?

I need to avoid even the chance of infection for the next six months - nicks and cuts are non-starters. This means that I will likely be growing a beard, but I can’t abide a neck-beard! I need a recommendation for the least-irritating, yet efficient, electric razor.

I have used electric in the past and always, always, I get irritation, especially in the neck area. In fact, I’ve actually gotten razor burn from electrics! I think what I need is a wet/dry electric razor, but I know that technology has continued development in this area.

What brand and model should I be looking for? I’d like to keep the cost under $100 if it all possible.

Thanks in advance!

i like the the old models of Phillips like: Philips AT790
i don't like the new Philips models , the new models are not give me good shaves ...
the braun's give the most closer shave but, they irritate my skin....

Philips AT790
proxy.php

I have both the Panasonic ES-RT97 and the Remington F5-5800. The Panasonic is a wet/dry but I have never used it wet. They are comparable razors, but I like the Remington better and cost-wise there is no contest if you can live without the wet option. The key for me to not getting irritation is to not use heavy pressure, keep it clean by brushing it out and spraying it once a week with shaver saver and replacing the blades/foil when it starts to irritate ~5-6 months. The Remington also is highly rated by Amazon and Wirecutter. FYI, I also tried a Braun Series 7 but ended up taking it back. It is just way too expensive and the shave no better than the other two. Also, FWIW, the cleaning contraptions by Braun and Panasonic look neat, but are overrated. Brush and shaver saver work just fine.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to give the Philips AT790 a shot. I need a comfortable shave above all else. It's got a reputation for comfort and it's a wet/dry (so I could use a really thin lather). Here's hoping!

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to give the Philips AT790 a shot. I need a comfortable shave above all else. It's got a reputation for comfort and it's a wet/dry (so I could use a really thin lather). Here's hoping!

Fantastic choice!
Please let us know how he shaves

Fantastic choice!
Please let us know how he shaves
A couple of shaves in...so far, so good. I'm getting used to using an electric, so I miss some hairs, but there are two good things at work here:
1. I can use a thin lather, which is really helping with irritation; and
2. I'm shaving a small area (growing a beard for the moment), so I can clean up ever-so-carefully with my safest razor/blade combo

This process is working well, almost as well as a standard DE shave, without fear of cuts.

Thanks again for the recommendation!

Top Bottom