What's new

NNSN: NobleNamekian's Shaving Notes

Greetings and welcome to NNSN!

Having shaved for 12+ years with Gillette cartridges and canned goo, I recently made the swap to DE shaving in the hope for a more comfortable and close shave. My technique in all aspects of DE shaving is still developing and I still have much room for improvement, but so far the results have been great.

I'll use NNSN to track all of my shaves and hopefully find out what's working, what's not and ultimately find my perfect setup and technique. Hopefully others can learn from my mistakes (which I'm sure will be many) and pick up some useful info along the way.

Please make yourself at home and join me on this journey of shaving discovery!

1651502296182.png

SOTD 21st April 2022

Pre-shave:
Proraso Green
Soap: Proraso Red
Razor: Fatip Grande OC
Blade: Astra SP (3)
Aftershave: Alum & Bulldog Balm

My first shave with the Fatip Grande, went very well. Very smooth and efficient. Cut through 5 days of growth with no problem. Much more efficient than my DE89. Some redness at the bottom of my neck but I always have a problem there, I blame my technique. Overall very happy with the Grande and a great shave. Happy Thursday everyone!

1651502520082.png

SOTD 24th April 2022

Pre-shave:
Proraso Green
Soap: Proraso White
Bowl: Stirling Soap Co. Travel Bowl
Razor: Qshave Adjustable
Blade: Derby Extra (4)
Aftershave: Alum & Scottish Fine Soap's Thistle and Black Pepper Balm

First time using the Qshave, a bit more of a struggle than I'd like. Every time I use a Derby Extra they tend to pull and tug rather than cut my beard. Maybe just a bit too mild for me. I probably should have upped the aggressiveness on the Qshave, but wanted to take it easy for my first time. Overall DFS. Happy Sunday everyone!

1651502627698.png

SOTD 26th April 2022

Pre-shave:
Proraso Green
Lather: Benny's Shaving Cream
Razor: Qshave Adjustable
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (4)
Post Shave: Alum & Scottish Fine Soap's Thistle and Black Pepper Balm

Second time using the Qshave, this time with an Astra SP instead of a Derby Extra, much more comfortable and efficient shave. Enjoying the Qshave, for the price it seems very good. Overall DFS. Happy Tuesday everyone!

Last edited:
My first Gillette Tech (and vintage razor) came in the mail today, so luckily I've managed to squeeze in a shave for Vintage April! :thumbup:

1651256031979.jpg

SOTD 29th May 2022

Pre-shave:
Hot Shower & Proraso Green
Lather: Proraso Green
Brush: Benny's Synthetic
Razor: Gillette Tech Ball-End (Aluminium Handle)
Blade: Feather (2)

I know there is a lot of hype around the Gillette Techs, so I was expecting it to be good. Somehow this razor still managed to blow me away. Wow! Very smooth, mild, yet efficient shave. Probably the mildest shave I've had with a DE razor, as a relative beginner. I started with an EJ DE89 which is often recommended to beginners, but I found the Tech much more comfortable and probably a bit more efficient too. I can see this becoming my new favourite. DFS+.

Last edited:
Recently I've been struggling with some ingrown hairs around my chin/lip that eventually turn into nasty spots. Only a couple but they're very annoying!

I searched on the forum and came across this thread and @Esox's post on blade rigidity: Constant ingrown hairs - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/constant-ingrown-hairs.617730/post-11568866

I then put a blade in each of my safety razors and noted the blade rigidity as follows:

Blade Rigidity (More to Less Rigid)
  1. Gillette Tech Ball-end Handle / Fatip Grande OC
  2. Gillette Tech 70's Handle
  3. EJ DE89
  4. Qshave Futur Clone
This seems to correlate well with the number of ingrown hairs that appear after I shave.

My last shave was with the Gillette Tech Ball-end handle and I've had zero new ingrown hairs come through. The two shaves before that were both with the Qshave Futur Clone, which does not hold the blade rigidly at all. Pressing my finger down on the edge of the blade, the blade bends and flexes significantly.

I'm going to stay clear of the Qshave atleast for a while and stick with a razor that holds the blade more rigidly. It will be interesting to see if the number of ingrown hairs does reduce or if they disappear entirely. Fingers crossed!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm going to stay clear of the Qshave atleast for a while and stick with a razor that holds the blade more rigidly. It will be interesting to see if the number of ingrown hairs does reduce or if they disappear entirely. Fingers crossed!

When using a razor that offers less rigidity, my R41 for example, I've found that if I use a fresh Feather blade and shave slower, my results improve. A sharper blade will tend to flex less simply because it cuts easier. Shaving slower allows that blade to cut easier while giving less chance of the blade flexing and tugging.

Shaving for me is, and always has been, a chore. I dont see it as hobby but as a job that needs to be finished. For that reason I want to get the job done as quickly and comfortably as possible. Hence, my quest for a single pass ATG shave. If however, shaving was a task that I enjoyed, the process, the need for critical control and precision, the R41 would, most likely, be my top choice because you need to use all the care and control to use it effectively and comfortably.

My R41 is not a rigid design.

IMG_2786.JPG

If however, I use it slowly and carefully it is a very capable razor. It just doesnt suit me and my style of shaving.

All of that however, is a part of the journey you're on. Welcome to B&B and to the Journals forum! All the answers you seek are in here.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You might also give these threads by Al @AimlessWanderer a look.

When using a razor that offers less rigidity, my R41 for example, I've found that if I use a fresh Feather blade and shave slower, my results improve.

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely try this the next time I reach for my Qshave.

You might also give these threads by Al @AimlessWanderer a look.

Thanks also for these links, looks like some excellent info. That's the bedtime reading for tonight sorted! :001_tongu

IMG_20220502_190955.jpg

SOTD 2nd May 2022 - Modern May Challenge (1)

Pre-shave:
Lather: Proraso Red
Bowl: Benny's Bowl
Razor: Fatip Grande OC
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless, Green (1)

Second shave with the Fatip Grande did not disappoint. First time using the 7 O'Clock Greens. The first WTG pass was a little tuggy, but it was a new blade removing 3 days of growth. Second XTG pass was a lot smoother. Lather probably could have done with more work too. Happier with my technique today. Used light pressure and took it slow, trying to keep the right angle and didn't chase BBS. Probably the best shave I've had in terms of irritation. Only irritation was on neck's trouble spots and no irritation on chin which is progress! 2 passes plus touch up, DFS+.

IMG_20220504_193948.jpg

SOTD 4th May 2022 - Modern May Challenge (2)

Pre-shave:
Lather: Proraso White
Razor: Fatip Gentile
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless, Green (2)
Post Shave: Brut & Scottish Fine Soap's Thistle and Black Pepper Balm

I enjoyed my last shave with the Fatip Grande so much I decided to pick up the Gentile for when I want something a little less aggressive. When I first started shaving with DE safety razors, I thought I'd like some blade feel, but I'm learning that I much prefer the smooth and comfortable shaves that the Fatips and Gillette Techs offer. They all hold the blade rigidly which I'm finding I prefer as well (compared to my EJ DE89 and Qshave Futur Clone).

Very impressed with the Fatip Gentile as well. It's definitely not a mild razor, but still provides a smooth, comfortable shave whilst still being very efficient. Tried something different with my lather again, still not 100% happy, but I have a few more things to try for the next shave. Slight irritation on neck and chin but this was definitely me technique, I was a bit tired yesterday. 3 passes (WTG, XTG, WTG). BBS in parts, otherwise DFS+. I'm surprised just how close this razor managed to get.

Last edited:
1651924392212.jpg

SOTD 5th May 2022 - Modern May Challenge (3)

Pre-shave:
Razor: Baili BD176
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless, Green (3)
Post Shave: Old Spice & Scottish Fine Soap's Thistle and Black Pepper Balm

First shave with the Baili BD176. I've decided to try and keep to one razor for a little while to improve my technique, find out what is working and what isn't. I wanted something similar to a Gillette Tech, mild and comfortable. I heard good things about the Baili BD176 and it's pretty cheap so thought I would give it a go. I don't have any expensive razors, but for the price I find the fit and finish of the BD176 to be excellent.

The shave was ok but not amazing. I think this was entirely down to my setup, particularly my lather which was pretty poor. I think my lather has been too thick, dry and airy over the last few shaves, so this time I tried to make it a bit thinner and wetter. I lathered in a bowl and added water very gradually until I thought I had a very slick, well hydrated lather with nice shine. However, when lathering my face, it seemed to be a little too thin and didn't offer a great coverage over my face or ample lubrication. I can't seem to get my lather in that sweet middle ground. I've never tried face lathering, so I'm tempted to give it a go, but not sure if I should just persevere with trying to improve my bowl lathering technique.

Still ended up with a DFS+ shave after 3 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG), just maybe a little less comfortable than I would like. Perhaps the Gillette 7 O'Clock Green was also too mild for this razor, but I really think it was down to the poor lather.

Looking forward to trying again with a different blade and hopefully an improved lather!

IMG_20220507_211415.jpg

SOTD 7th May 2022 - Modern May Challenge (4)

Pre-shave:
Blade: Feather (3)
Post Shave: Brut & Scottish Fine Soap's Thistle and Black Pepper Balm

So after the unsuccessful lather from my last shave, today I decided to try face lathering. I soaked my brush, drained out the excess water, loaded with soap for 25 seconds and got to work lathering on my face. To start with I wasn't sure it was going to work, but I kept with it, slowly adding more water as I went. 2 minutes later, my face was covered in a wonderful, slick, shiny lather.

Wow! What a difference a good lather makes. My shave was incredibly comfortable with no tugging. The razor simply passed over my skin and cut the hair with no issues. I had much less irritation than normal, only a couple of weepers. The only thing to improve for next time is to load more soap on the brush, as I just had enough for my 3rd pass.

I should have really used the Gillette 7 O'Clock from my last shave as a direct comparison, but I know the lather was far better this shave. I do think the Feather is a good match for this razor though.

Wonderful shave - 3 pass DFS+ (WTG, XTG, ATG).

Incredibly pleased that my lather has improved with face lathering. Excited to revisit all of my gear and see how much better it performs now!

Last edited:
Is the BD176 noticably more aggressive than the 191?
The listing on Amazon calls it aggressive and the 191 mild.

Is the BD176 noticably more aggressive than the 191?
The listing on Amazon calls it aggressive and the 191 mild.
I've never used the BD191. I would have a quick search of the forum. I'm sure I've read that the BD176 and BD191 are very similar, I thought both were supposed to be quite mild in terms of the shave provided.

Looking at the head of the BD191 vs my BD176, they look very similar, if not the same?

IMG_20220509_174949.jpg

SOTD 9th May 2022 - Modern May Challenge (5)

Pre-shave:
Hot Water & Proraso Green
Lather: Proraso Green
Blade: Feather (4)
Post Shave: Proraso Green & Scottish Fine Soap's Thistle and Black Pepper Balm

Excellent shave again with the BD176 and Feather, very mild and comfortable. Face lathering provided a nice slick lather again, so I think I'll be staying with this for the time being. 3 pass DFS+. Very happy! :biggrin1:

IMG_20220511_172305.jpg

SOTD 11th May 2022 - Modern May Challenge (6)

Pre-shave:
Hot Water & Proraso Green
Lather: Benny's Shaving Cream
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)

First time trying the Gillette Silver Blue blade. I'd heard good things about them, being quite sharp but still offering a very smooth shave. The first pass was indeed very smooth and comfortable. However, after the 2nd and 3rd pass, I had a few weepers and quite a bit of irritation. I'm not sure this is the blades fault, I'll need to give it another go. I think I rushed the last two passes a bit and applied a bit too much pressure. I think this is the hardest thing to adjust to when coming from cartridges to DE razors. Will remember to apply zero pressure for the next shave. Still very happy with the face lather, a lot better. Overall 3 pass DFS (WTG, XTG, ATG).

Top Bottom