What's new

Nivea ASB vs. Proraso vs. others?

Goodmorning shavers,

I wetshaved myself last saturday and used La Toya ASB (Spanish brand) afterwards. Then i got the marvellous idea to also put some Williams Preshave Oil on my face, because i thought it would reduce the friction on my neck that causes razor burn and irritation. What a mistake! Last time i used that Williams Preshave oil with a Philips Arcitec (machine), i also suffered from loads of bumps and burn. I think i can't stand that Williams stuff!

But yesterday i used my brothers Coolskin (to reduce the "damage" to my skin of wetshaving) and had put some Nivea ASB on my skin afterwards and miracle: a lot of my burn was reduced! Thank God!

My question (after this rather large introduction) is: which ASB do you recommend for reducing razor burn and soothing?

-Nivea
-Proraso (Preshave or ASB)
-Others

Thanks again in advance!

Nivea is the only one I use. relatively cheap, effective and available. As a plus I like the smell which fades away and does not mix with your edt.

I guess you are telling us that the Williams oil did this? I only ask because bumps and razor burn are not the norm for me, often I use an alcohol splash with little burn. when I beat myself up it burns but rarely.

I find Nivea to be not too bad. It's not my favourite, but it's because I don't use edt, so aftershave is my scented product of choice. That being said, I love Musgo Real. It's not my first pick for scent, not that I don't like it, just not my favourite. It works great IMO. I use it when I have a bad day with burn if I get a bad blade or not paying enough attention. I really want to try the Proraso as I like Proraso cream and scent.

You may want to try Mama bear's ASB. That's my next ASB purchase. There are a lot of good reviews on it. I haven't tried it yet, but I definately want to. Maybe someone else can give thier experience with MB's ASB.

I guess you are telling us that the Williams oil did this? I only ask because bumps and razor burn are not the norm for me, often I use an alcohol splash with little burn. when I beat myself up it burns but rarely.

Hi Mike,

I'm not saying it will do, but it did to me. I haven't used it since and my skin gets better and better, although shaving daily now (couldn't do that before DE-shaving).

Thanks for the input, gentlemen!

Still using my starter-kit, I'm using Proraso, both the Preshave and the ASB, and the combination work like a charm for me.

I used to buy the Nivea when I still used a cartridge razor - it's a relatively cheap buy here in Denmark, quite common in most supermarkets and drug stores and works quite alright for my skin, but I haven't tried it since I started using a brush and DE.

Had a Clinique ASB for X-mas, but it smells awfull and stings almost just as bad as an alcohol-based AS, so I don't use that.

For the time being, I'll recommend Proraso hands down.:thumbup1:

I find that just a bit of Proraso goes a long way. However for me, it always left a greasy feeling on my face but it did definitely help my face heal from any havoc my blade laid forth.

Edit: I must have skipped the recommendation on Mama Bear. I got her Mama's Summer Ice Milks AS and they were truly awesome :-D.

I generally have good results with the Neutrogena Razor Defence ASB. I havn't tried the Nivea ASB but the glass bottle turned me off for some reason.

I like Aqua Velva Ice Balm the best of the inexpensive ASBs. I also use L'Oreal Max Protection ASB because is has an SPF 15 rating. I like both better than Nivea or the Neutrogena that I tried.

Mail order items, I also have a sample QEDman Lavender ASB that is quite nice and a couple of SCS ASBs, the Bay Rum is good, but the Savory Rose is Excellent.

i liked nivea ASB (currently using extra soothing balm version). been using it for a couple years now and it has always moisturized (though i wear an spf moiturizer also) and soothed the razor burn i get occasionally. also it is pretty inexpensive compared to other aftershaves and has a non-offensive scent to it (a big plus for me).

Goodmorning shavers,

I wetshaved myself last saturday and used La Toya ASB (Spanish brand) afterwards. Then i got the marvellous idea to also put some Williams Preshave Oil on my face, because i thought it would reduce the friction on my neck that causes razor burn and irritation. What a mistake! Last time i used that Williams Preshave oil with a Philips Arcitec (machine), i also suffered from loads of bumps and burn. I think i can't stand that Williams stuff!

But yesterday i used my brothers Coolskin (to reduce the "damage" to my skin of wetshaving) and had put some Nivea ASB on my skin afterwards and miracle: a lot of my burn was reduced! Thank God!

My question (after this rather large introduction) is: which ASB do you recommend for reducing razor burn and soothing?

-Nivea
-Proraso (Preshave or ASB)
-Others

Thanks again in advance!

Sounds like your skin responded to the Nivea extremely well.......

I like Aqua Velva Ice Balm the best of the inexpensive ASBs. I also use L'Oreal Max Protection ASB because is has an SPF 15 rating. I like both better than Nivea or the Neutrogena that I tried.

Mail order items, I also have a sample QEDman Lavender ASB that is quite nice and a couple of SCS ASBs, the Bay Rum is good, but the Savory Rose is Excellent.

I have and use AV Ice Balm also-in fact,it's my only AV product. The ASB's from Mama sue and from Saint Sue have always been received well on this forum. You cannot go wrong with any of them(and if perchance you did, someone would take it off your hands quickly!):wink:

Proraso ASB is another classic that will serve you well.

Marty

Top Bottom