What's new

Nikon D3200 Quick Help Needed

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I decided on a whim to get a DSLR for my youngest one’s wedding. A friend sold me his barely used Nikon D3200 with two zoom lenses, 18-55 and 55-200.

So with virtually no time for reading manuals and books (just ordered Nikon D3200 for Dummies), I want to use it at the wedding this Saturday. Due to my limited knowledge and time, should I shoot in RAW or JPEG?

Any other quick tips for a guy who will practically be unboxing this on the day it is needed. Thoughts on memory cards, mono pods, lenses, etc.?

Thanks

Good luck and congratulations on the wedding of your youngest, Dennis. I hope that you have another photographer engaged to capture the event?

Short and sweet;
- shoot raw (this allows more leeway to correct exposure errors). It will take some time and effort to make the images look their best later.
- light is your friend (shooting in low-light areas is difficult)
- use the shorter lens and stay close to your subject where possible
- I have always carried a few smaller memory cards rather than one large one (sort of redundancy) but make sure that you have enough capacity for your purposes
- carry a spare battery (especially if you are going to use the on-board flash)

I'm in a rush now, but will try to come back to this thread later. Please feel free to ask further questions or for more information should you need it.

At your level of experience, I'd say instead to shoot in JPEG. Unless you're willing to put in the time and effort to learn Photoshop or Lightroom, might as well let the camera handle the processing work for you! Just make sure you set it on the highest quality level.

Unless you're far away from the action and really need to zoom in, stick with the 18-55 lens.

Since it's a used camera, I'd clean the lens before using it (distilled water and a microfiber cloth is fine, no need to spend $$$ on a kit at this point).

More memory cards is always good, but I've got a 32gb card in my D3300 that can easily hold 300 or so RAW photos, so probably 500 JPEGS. Extra batteries, again more is better, but don't stress, unless the battery is really shot you can expect to a dozen or so hours of shooting on a full charge.

Really all you have to do is put the camera in "Auto, no flash" mode (the lightning bolt with a bar through it), make sure the lens is on autofocus (AF/MF, not MF) and start shooting. The camera is smarter than you are at this point, it'll take you a while to get good enough to play with the other settings, and you don't want to learn on the fly at an important event like your kid's wedding!

I agree that you will want jpegs, it takes a little time to learn how to process raw files to get the best out of them. But you could always shoot raw + jpeg, so you have the option to go back to the raw files, if you have enough memory.

Legion

Staff member
The advice I usually give is, if you have to ask whether to go with RAW or JPEG, choose JPEG.

Life will be easier until you have time to experiment with the various options, with software and so on.

Having said that, if you have a big enough memory card, your camera can shoot both at the same time. Hedge your bets, shoot both and worry about it later. The mate who shot my engagement party took that advice from me, badly underexposed the whole thing, but was able to give me the RAWs, and I salvaged many really nice shots that he had given up for lost.

Trust the auto modes, unless you know what you are doing. The modern camera is more likely to get it right than you are, fiddling about with settings you do not fully understand.

Stick with the 18-55 and get closer when needed. Sandisk 32gb extreme card should get you through a wedding, no worries. Get at least one, probably two spare batteries.

Last edited:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Good luck and congratulations on the wedding of your youngest, Dennis. I hope that you have another photographer engaged to capture the event?

Short and sweet;
- shoot raw (this allows more leeway to correct exposure errors). It will take some time and effort to make the images look their best later.
- light is your friend (shooting in low-light areas is difficult)
- use the shorter lens and stay close to your subject where possible
- I have always carried a few smaller memory cards rather than one large one (sort of redundancy) but make sure that you have enough capacity for your purposes
- carry a spare battery (especially if you are going to use the on-board flash)

I'm in a rush now, but will try to come back to this thread later. Please feel free to ask further questions or for more information should you need it.

Yes, there is a professional doing the main photography. It came with two 8g cards and a 4g.

At your level of experience, I'd say instead to shoot in JPEG. Unless you're willing to put in the time and effort to learn Photoshop or Lightroom, might as well let the camera handle the processing work for you! Just make sure you set it on the highest quality level.

Unless you're far away from the action and really need to zoom in, stick with the 18-55 lens.

Since it's a used camera, I'd clean the lens before using it (distilled water and a microfiber cloth is fine, no need to spend $$$ on a kit at this point).

More memory cards is always good, but I've got a 32gb card in my D3300 that can easily hold 300 or so RAW photos, so probably 500 JPEGS. Extra batteries, again more is better, but don't stress, unless the battery is really shot you can expect to a dozen or so hours of shooting on a full charge.

Really all you have to do is put the camera in "Auto, no flash" mode (the lightning bolt with a bar through it), make sure the lens is on autofocus (AF/MF, not MF) and start shooting. The camera is smarter than you are at this point, it'll take you a while to get good enough to play with the other settings, and you don't want to learn on the fly at an important event like your kid's wedding!

I think I’ll stop by the local camera shop and get a bigger card or two. I took a couple of minutes to figure out how to do AF.

I agree that you will want jpegs, it takes a little time to learn how to process raw files to get the best out of them. But you could always shoot raw + jpeg, so you have the option to go back to the raw files, if you have enough memory.

I’ll check the manual to see if there is a both setting. I thought it could only do one at a time and would have to switch back and forth to do both.

The advice I usually give is, if you have to ask whether to go with RAW or JPEG, choose JPEG.

Life will be easier until you have time to experiment with the various options, with software and so on.

Having said that, if you have a big enough memory card, your camera can shoot both at the same time. Hedge your bets, shoot both and worry about it later. The mate who shot my engagement party took that advice from me, badly underexposed the whole thing, but was able to give me the RAWs, and I salvaged many really nice shots that he had given up for lost.

Trust the auto modes, unless you know what you are doing. The modern camera is more likely to get it right than you are, fiddling about with settings you do not fully understand.

Stick with the 18-55 and get closer when needed. Sandisk 32gb extreme card should get you through a wedding, no worries. Get at least one, probably two spare batteries.

I definitely like the shoot both idea. I need to figure out how to do that.

Thanks everyone.

I’m an automotive photographer and offer this advice:

Shoot in raw- I have photoshop and light room = yes
- I do not have any and wouldn’t know where to begin = jpeg

Do I need the long lens or my wide angle?
- am I shooting from a distance= 75-300 mm
Am I in the thick of it= 15-55mm or any wide lens

Should I play with shutter speed, aperture and ISO?

Have I had experience before?
-yes = manual mode
-no =auto

I hope this helps. By the way the d3200 is what I started with and is capable of this
proxy.php

It’s a damn fine entry level camera. Good pick up.
Everyone will tell you to get 32gig cards. I recommend lots of 16 gig as it will force you to keep changing them.(this is to ensure you don’t have all shots on 1 card for corruption)

Other then that you need a steady hand and a full battery or 2 just to be sure.

Happy shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh 1 last thing,

Don’t delete shots on your camera. If you do, you run a greater risk of card corruption. Edit at home on the computer. It’s not worth loosing a whole part of the wedding.

Ad Astra

The Instigator

-yes = manual mode
-no =auto

I hope this helps. By the way the d3200 is what I started with and is capable of this
proxy.php

Everyone will tell you to get 32gig cards. I recommend lots of 16 gig as it will force you to keep changing them.(this is to ensure you don’t have all shots on 1 card for corruption)

Happy shooting.

I have a 3200 also, and this is outstanding advice!

Good luck.

AA

OldSaw

The wife's investment

-yes = manual mode
-no =auto

proxy.php

Happy shooting.

Oh 1 last thing,

Don’t delete shots on your camera. If you do, you run a greater risk of card corruption. Edit at home on the computer. It’s not worth loosing a whole part of the wedding.

Thanks Dano5, I just parked my truck and I’m going to swing by the camera store on the way home. I was thinking about 64gb cards, but I’ll check out the 16 & 32’s. Great tips!

I have a 3200 also, and this is outstanding advice!

Good luck.

AA

Thanks for the second on Dan’s advice.

I have a two year old MacBook Pro. I know I won’t have time to learn a new program before the wedding, but what is a good app for RAW processing to get for an amateur with no monthly relicensing fees?

Check out Luminar 2018 by Skylum. It is currently $69 USD. It has lots of presets to get you started and can be completely manually controlled like Photoshop once you develop your skills.

Sir Oldsaw, First, Congratulations on the wedding of your youngest!!!
How amazing!!

Second, with respect to your new D3200...

Use the 18-55mm lens.
Set Image Size to (L)arge
File type JPG
Set Autofocus to Area Auto
Mode to Program Auto
ISO to Auto
Have (or get) at least one fully charged spare battery.

Test this beforehand.

Have a great event and LOTS of grandkids!!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Sir Oldsaw, First, Congratulations on the wedding of your youngest!!!
How amazing!!

Second, with respect to your new D3200...

Use the 18-55mm lens.
Set Image Size to (L)arge
File type JPG
Set Autofocus to Area Auto
Mode to Program Auto
ISO to Auto
Have (or get) at least one fully charged spare battery.

Test this beforehand.

Have a great event and LOTS of grandkids!!

Thanks. It is done. I almost had to talk the sales clerk into selling me a spare battery as he didn’t think I needed it. I said that it would make me feel better.

Just remember if you shoot in raw with the D3200, the software might not read the photos in photoshop. In high case you will need to download for free from Adobe their DNG converter. It turns raw photos into a digital negative slowing photoshop and Lightroom to see them. Without it you will not be able to even upload them to work on them.

Just trying to pass on quick tips that will help. I’m self taught and learned the hard way for all of this.....

Great advise given above. If you have a good camera shop, ask if you can rent a lens. If you can rent a 35mm f1.8 (50mm on your cropped frame 3200) or a 50mm f1.4 the faster lens will help your photos a lot. These are prime (no zoom) so you will have to zoom with your feet. These lens rent for about $15 a day.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Great advise given above. If you have a good camera shop, ask if you can rent a lens. If you can rent a 35mm f1.8 (50mm on your cropped frame 3200) or a 50mm f1.4 the faster lens will help your photos a lot. These are prime (no zoom) so you will have to zoom with your feet. These lens rent for about $15 a day.

Not a bad idea. I’ve rented other equipment from them before when I was toying with the idea of starting a videography business.

My "intro to photography" teacher always recommended Photoshop Elements, it's about $70 has everything you need.

I'm on a Chromebook now so can't run traditional programs and have to be creative..... Polarr is a free ($29 to unlock advanced features) web app that seems to do almost everything I'd want in terms of basic and intermediate editing.

Top Bottom