What's new

Need help with a new camera

Hello!

I'm looking to get a new compact digital camera. The one I have is an old Kodak that I got 3 or 4 years ago on the day after Thanksgiving sales for 49.99. It's not exactly top of the line... I am looking to upgrade to a nicer one that will last for a while. I don't want a DSLR; if I'm using a camera I'm on the move a lot, and I don't want, or have the space to haul the bulk around.

I basically need an all-arounder. One to take pics of people, places, things, night shots, sporting events, video, etc. Also it MUST have some type of anti-shake deal... I cannot keep my hands still when taking a pic and 90% of the time it comes out blurry with the camera I have.

I am not a camera savy guy, and have just minimal knowledge of features, but I suppose with the internet, manual and a bit of tinkering I can figure it out.

The few I've been looking closely at are:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3(TZ7)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7(TZ10)

Canon Powershot s90

Nikon s8000

I'd like to keep the price between $200-$400. Right now I'm leaning towards the Panasonic ZS3(TZ7) or the Nikon s8000.

Is there really a huge difference between 14, 12 and 10 megapixels or 12x and 10x zoom that I should be paying attention to?

Any ideas, suggestions, other cameras I should be looking at? Any information would be greatly helpful and welcome.

Thanks!

Do you really need a strong zoom?

The TZ's are nice, but that zoom comes at the expense of a higher F-stop lens (let's in less light). Less light getting in means longer shutter open time. Longer shutter open time means greater chance of moving the camera while the shutter is open

Add to your list the Panasonic FS7, it has a wide angle lens, and lower F-stop lens (brighter, faster). Very compact, and takes nice pics.

All the Panasonics have image stabilization, which should help.

12 and 14mp are way to high for compact cameras, you will have a ton of high ISO noise as the exposing meduim are way to close together to fit that many mp on a small sensor, and you lose detail with digital noise reduction. 10mp is fine for small prints.

also is the zoom digital or optical? optical zoom is better as digital zoom makes for noisy photos.

Do you really need a strong zoom?

The TZ's are nice, but that zoom comes at the expense of a higher F-stop lens (let's in less light). Less light getting in means longer shutter open time. Longer shutter open time means greater chance of moving the camera while the shutter is open

Add to your list the Panasonic FS7, it has a wide angle lens, and lower F-stop lens (brighter, faster). Very compact, and takes nice pics.

All the Panasonics have image stabilization, which should help.

I have no idea if I need a strong zoom really. When I take pics, it seems to be really close up, or really far away, not much inbetween, which seems odd.

BTW, its your fault for my wanting a new camera... :tongue_sm

12 and 14mp are way to high for compact cameras, you will have a ton of high ISO noise as the exposing meduim are way to close together to fit that many mp on a small sensor, and you lose detail with digital noise reduction. 10mp is fine for small prints.

also is the zoom digital or optical? optical zoom is better as digital zoom makes for noisy photos.

All the zooms are optical. Thanks for the insight on the MPs.

I really love the Panasonics, they've come a long way in the last few years. Used to be a Canon lover.

Have had:

FZ5 - ended up being too big to carry around and was missing shots
TZ5 - Great little camera, the 10X optical and 28mm wide makes it so versatile. It's tough too , been dropped several times and only has a slightly cracked battery compartment door.
FT1 - Just purchased ( as in YESTERDAY ) as my EDC, ruggedised, be good for the beach, bushwalking, motorbiking etc...

The IA mode ( intelligent ) and the image stabilisation are great.

Couple of other points........no manual shutter/aperture mode, no viewfinder, you won't get REALLY good night shots because the sensors in compacts won't cut if for that ( that being said you will get very nice night shots, just not "professional" quality ( does that make any sense ? ) )

10, 12, 14 MP, if you're only printing 6X4s or looking at on the screen won't be too much difference. High MP is only useful if you are printing large shots or crop your photos.

The Megapixel war isn't the best thing for anyone. For printing 4X6 3.2 MP is fine !!!. Don't forget you can adjust your MP size ( reduce ) on the cameras resulting in more storage on a set memory card.

Optics is really important. Doesn't matter how many megapixels if the optics is crap, the picture will be crap. The Pana Leicas are all good lenses.

Macro mode will be nice for photographing razors too :tongue_sm

( If you were a little bit closer you could borrow the TZ5, but don't think that's really a feasible option here :tongue_sm)

Last edited:
I see. I'm still leaning towards the TZ7.

Would something like an LZ10 be a better choice as well?

Top Bottom