What's new

Next gunsmithing project ... the Rossi R92

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I am delighted with this rifle! Action is pretty smooth out of the box. Has the peep rear sight and a Picatinny rail. As @Whisky mentioned in another thread the opening for the side loading gate is a cheese grater, and I believe the top of the action will be, as well with the bolt removed. Here is a photo.

Rossi.jpg

The French police trade in SP101 I got needed a lot of work, so I got stones and did a lot of learning on YooToobz and slicked it up nice. The next two Rugers I got, another SP101 and a GP101 had excellent actions, so all I did was a new main spring and hammer and hammer dog shims. What I've learned is do the minimal work necessary because if you're 'fixing' something that ain't broke, you run the risk of screwing it up.

So this gun won't need much work at all, if I don't miss my guess from how it feels. I plan on:

1. making a shim out of a soda or beer can to go under the trigger spring to adjust the tension
2. lightly stoning the edge of the spring and the mating trigger part
3. getting a reduced power ejector spring and steel magazine follower
4. using a file and/or emery cloth to ease the edges of the loading gate and the top of the receiver opening
5. using some lithium grease (judiciously) in some of the contact areas

That's probably it, given the way it cycles right now. Although I wish this was a 16-18.5" barrel in this configuration, I have to say, I am totally happy with this rifle as a companion to my Ruger GP100 in .357 magnum. I'd feel very well protected if the BLM riots 2.0 start up again with that combination. Add a Sig Sauer Romeo5 red dot, and I'm G2G with this rig.

I have a 16" in .357. I bought Steve's Gunz DIY action job kit, along with some of his sights that suited me better. My action job turned out great. The sights were a great improvement over the factory buckhorns.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I just ordered the spring, follower, and Steve's DVD! I'm happy with the rear peep sight, although I may get one of Steve's fiber optic front sights.

I would have gotten a 16" but I loved the SS and laminate stock. I FAXed the company and suggested they offer their Triple Black configuration in SS and this laminate stock. They make so many models, I may not be successful, but if the Triple Black is selling well, they have to think an SS version of it would sell just as well or better. At least I'd think so.

Top Bottom