What's new

Newbies, show off your gear!

Only been at it for about 3 months and have gone a little overboard. May have to start selling some things.
Week 1 $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399011129.616785.jpg
Month 1$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399011194.542520.jpg
Month 2$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399011210.839566.jpg
Month 3 today$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399011225.453437.jpg

Thanks Edgar! Happy with my modest little setup, Want to try more things, but it's getting a bit tough to explain to the wife, haha!

Ha ... we all had that problem at some point! Besides, in the beginning at least, it's a good thing to stick with one setup, and develop technique.
You have plenty of time for other purchases. When we buy too much stuff at the beginning, without having a clear idea of what we actually like, inevitably we end up with a lot of stuff we don't really like.
You're good for only 2 weeks in! :thumbup1:

$image.jpg

JMJ -

Not the best picture. I bought that shelf and put it up just for my shaving stuff. My wife thinks I'm crazy. I may upload a better picture when my stand comes in.

YBIC
Mike

I can't stop! I have a Sheraton and New LC from b/s/t on the way too!

I have the same Parker brush, which was my first. I have heard a lot of bad reviews on the Parker brushes on here, but I personally love love love my brush. No shedding, great lather, soft, and the knot is really dense.

$daily gear.jpg
This what I use daily right now. Still trying the B&B brush which I've only had for a few days. I love it so far, but I'm trying to use it in a variety of ways and also let it get broken in to get the full effect of a boar brush since its my first.
the Colonel Conk scuttle was kind of a mistake purchase. I was looking for a scuttle to get a hot lather, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money on an experiment. I bought this one for cheap and it was way smaller than I thought it would be. That being said, I've been able to figure out a system to still get hot lather and it actually works really well with the boar since it needs time to soak. Also, I bought it without reading anything or asking opinions on here first. Lesson learned.

I have the same Parker brush, which was my first. I have heard a lot of bad reviews on the Parker brushes on here, but I personally love love love my brush. No shedding, great lather, soft, and the knot is really dense.

After getting a couple different brushes it's actually my least favorite now. I agree that it doesn't shed and lathers well, but I don't find it overly soft. The $10 Omega boars are softer on my face. Thinking about steaming the knot out and putting in a TGN.

After getting a couple different brushes it's actually my least favorite now. I agree that it doesn't shed and lathers well, but I don't find it overly soft. The $10 Omega boars are softer on my face. Thinking about steaming the knot out and putting in a TGN.
That's good to know. I would be really interested to hear how removing the knot works. I don't really care for the handle, which has been my only complaint. My hands are slightly larger than average I would say and the handle doesn't seem to fit my hands too well. I've been looking at some of the custom guys in the vendor forums, but I'm not sure if I want to spend a bunch of money.

That's good to know. I would be really interested to hear how removing the knot works. I don't really care for the handle, which has been my only complaint. My hands are slightly larger than average I would say and the handle doesn't seem to fit my hands too well. I've been looking at some of the custom guys in the vendor forums, but I'm not sure if I want to spend a bunch of money.

I have pretty small hands so it seems to fit me fairly well. I enjoy the weight of it too. I may just keep it as it is and put a knot in a different handle so I don't ruin this brush. We'll see.

View attachment 444458

I'm rocking my Merkur HD with a Simply beautiful badger and my Col Conk bowl. I picked up a blade sampler and am working through that.
I Don't have a shot of my soaps, but I've been using Col. Conks Amber and Proraso green. Should be getting my Geo F Coconut soap today.

I'll edit it with the pics later, but at the moment I have.
Edwin Jagger DE89
Shaving factory small boar hair brush. (plan to upgrade this in a few weeks though, I'm a poor student. :D)
100 Derby blades.
Body shop maca root shaving cream.
Wilko aftershave balm
Osma alum block
20 shaving factory styptic matches.
Variety pack of blades. 7 o'clock yellows, astra platinums, supermax, wilkinson sword, laser ultra, derby.
A cheap shaving oil I use as a pre-shave.
A cereal bowl I use to lather.
Arko shave stick
Palmolive shave stick

I have noticed that since starting last week I have been unwittingly walking into the shaving sections in shops to find new things. This is bad, I don't have a lot of money. :D

Last edited:
$image.jpg
Don't mind the 1960 Formica countertop! I just received the Muhle RYTMO yesterday and picked up the bowl at Wal-Mart $1.50. Can't wait to expand the collection, I mean tools of the trade!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 205
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 206
Posted this earlier in my "check-in" post, but here's the current "starter kit" gear...

full

Last edited by a moderator:
$Shave Gear.jpg

The badger brush, stand, porcelain mug, and soap currently in use are from the Van Der Hagen "Luxury" Shave Set, Razor is Merkur 34C, Proraso Refresh (Green) aftershave splash, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm. The green rubber mug is my current blade storage system, and I'm still in the sampler pack mode for blades. The Sharks I've had the best luck with so far, Derbys don't put a dent in my coarse stubble. Haven't had a chance yet to try any of the Gillette or the Astra SPs. All the way to the back is Shea Moisture - Tea Tree Herbal Bum Preventer Shave Elixir. Haven't had a chance to really try that yet, but I have serious irritation on my neck, and I'm looking for the best treatment for that.

Top Bottom