What's new

Newbie upgraded to a Rockwell 6C

So I've been wetshaving for about a month now with a Van Der Hagen razor that caught my interest in WalMart. I didn't have a brush or soap at the time, so I made due with some Barbasol and Nivea gel for about a week. I picked up some Nivea Sensitive Shaving Balm too which I've been enjoying.

Eventually I ordered a cheapie badger brush and some Taylor Of Old Bond Street Sandalwood cream and it was leagues better of an experience already. At the same time I picked up a blade sampler pack and have been chugging along through each blade with the VDH blades as a reference point.

But the VDH razor wasn't very efficient and required a ~4pass shave with touchups to get a BBS shave and it gave me a small but fair amount of irritation. So I've been waffling about getting a new razor vs the whole "Don't blame your tools for your own lack of experience".

Anyway, I pulled the trigger and got myself a Gunmetal Rockwell 6C off Amazon as it seemed a good deal with the various plates. It is weighty compared to the VDH, in a good way I think. The finish on mine seems flawless with no obvious visual defects at a glance.

I started off with the #4 plate paired with a Gillete Silver Blue and I have to say the shave was absolutely amazing compared to my Van Der Hagen. BBS with way less irritation and it only took a normal 3 pass shave. The surprising part was it allowed me to get a great shave on my neck which I couldn't really tackle well with the VDH. The angle on the rockwell also felt more natural to me.

Overall I'm very satisfied with my upgrade! There does seem to be a smidge of blade play with the alignment on the rockwell. Not a huge deal, but my VDH did always get the blade bang on every time since it had the bar mount.

Congratulations on your new razor! I’ve also got the 6C. It’s a very good razor, enjoy! And the GSBs are very good in it. Most blades work very well in the 6C.

As I have the 6s I can say congratulations too.
Rockwell is extremely good and gives excellent shaves.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

Very cool! I've been using a VDH as well for a while now (12-18 months, I would guess). I don't have a heavy beard and have figured out how to make it work, have been trying some different blades. Only recently picked up a brush and soap, much nicer experience. I've got something better on order and want to try some other razors. Glad you found something that works for you. Cheers.

So I've been wetshaving for about a month now with a Van Der Hagen razor that caught my interest in WalMart. I didn't have a brush or soap at the time, so I made due with some Barbasol and Nivea gel for about a week. I picked up some Nivea Sensitive Shaving Balm too which I've been enjoying.

Eventually I ordered a cheapie badger brush and some Taylor Of Old Bond Street Sandalwood cream and it was leagues better of an experience already. At the same time I picked up a blade sampler pack and have been chugging along through each blade with the VDH blades as a reference point.

But the VDH razor wasn't very efficient and required a ~4pass shave with touchups to get a BBS shave and it gave me a small but fair amount of irritation. So I've been waffling about getting a new razor vs the whole "Don't blame your tools for your own lack of experience".

Anyway, I pulled the trigger and got myself a Gunmetal Rockwell 6C off Amazon as it seemed a good deal with the various plates. It is weighty compared to the VDH, in a good way I think. The finish on mine seems flawless with no obvious visual defects at a glance.

I started off with the #4 plate paired with a Gillete Silver Blue and I have to say the shave was absolutely amazing compared to my Van Der Hagen. BBS with way less irritation and it only took a normal 3 pass shave. The surprising part was it allowed me to get a great shave on my neck which I couldn't really tackle well with the VDH. The angle on the rockwell also felt more natural to me.

Overall I'm very satisfied with my upgrade! There does seem to be a smidge of blade play with the alignment on the rockwell. Not a huge deal, but my VDH did always get the blade bang on every time since it had the bar mount.

Whoa, big-time upgrade for sure! That is one of my favorite combos of all time. The 6c with a GSB is truly a sublime match. Great job!

Congratulations, I've heard nothing but good things about the Rockwell and most likely would have ended up with one myself if they had been out when I was first looking to upgrade from my own Van Der Hagen.

Thanks all!

I'm having a hard time deciding which baseplate is my favorite. My technique is nowhere perfect so it's hard to judge them. So far I'm just sticking with #4 and going through my blade sampler again to see if anything will dethrone the GSBs.

I picked one up a few months ago. Rockwell 6C Gunmetal. Previously, used only an EJ89.
Definitely, has a bit more heft. I also found the angle needed to be different than the EJ. Otherwise didn't feel the blade cutting.
I use #s 2,3,4. Will start with #4 for first 2 passesWTG,XTG, then ATG with #3, and depending on razor, touchup neck with #2. It's fun to experiment with the various plates. Haven't used other plates yet.

Recommendation, get a 2-3 day beard and try a Kai on #4. Great combination. Sharp and smooth. BBS no irritation.

I am surprised that you have play in the blade alignment. I have the same razor, and there is no play whatsoever. You might want to contact Rockwell about it, although I used a Fatip Piccolo for a while and I very quickly got used to manually aligning the blade. Unless you're one of those folks who disassembles your razor after each shave (I am not), the manual alignment becomes a few seconds every week or so when you change blades. But if you're like@cytus and change plates during a shave I would certainly contact Rockwell, since that means you need to realign the blade several times each shave.

I am surprised that you have play in the blade alignment. I have the same razor, and there is no play whatsoever. You might want to contact Rockwell about it, although I used a Fatip Piccolo for a while and I very quickly got used to manually aligning the blade. Unless you're one of those folks who disassembles your razor after each shave (I am not), the manual alignment becomes a few seconds every week or so when you change blades. But if you're like@cytus and change plates during a shave I would certainly contact Rockwell, since that means you need to realign the blade several times each shave.

It's not a huge play in blade alignment. Maybe 1mm or so? I've learned if I push the blade sideways so the blade pushes against the razor posts it usually aligns it fine that way.

Although I do think my razor may be defective in the long run(?). Before the handle is fully tightened the threads aren't what I would call 'snug' and I can wobble the handle a bit. Now I don't have any other razors to know if that is normal or not. It does work perfectly fine when its fully tightened though.

It's not a huge play in blade alignment. Maybe 1mm or so? I've learned if I push the blade sideways so the blade pushes against the razor posts it usually aligns it fine that way.

Although I do think my razor may be defective in the long run(?). Before the handle is fully tightened the threads aren't what I would call 'snug' and I can wobble the handle a bit. Now I don't have any other razors to know if that is normal or not. It does work perfectly fine when its fully tightened though.
Neither of those is normal, and my 6C (which I just sold) had neither of those problems. My recommendation is to contact Rockwell.

I too pulled the plug on a Rockwell 6C. I popped a Polsilver in it and put it on #3 and had one of the best shaves in my life. Anyone in 2 minds about pulling the plug on the 6C just go for it. Thank me later

Neither of those is normal, and my 6C (which I just sold) had neither of those problems. My recommendation is to contact Rockwell.

Hmm. Alright I'll contact them and see if they can help. I do think the alignment may be fine but it was the astra sp blades which are kind of curved at the edges messing with my eyes.

I'll probably just mainly mention the wobbly threading. Probably a bad top cap? I wasn't sure if the wobble was because the top cap's threads are 'flat' on the sides.

I really like the Rockwell 6C and as mentioned, I change plates mid shoe for different passes. I haven't had to adjust blade even after changing plates. Probably bad tolerances on your razor, you should contact them.

Top Bottom