What's new

Newbie question- can I shave every day?

Before joining B&B I would shave every other day and be happy. Since joining the forum, I’ve been shaving daily, and wishing I could shave twice a day! Too many new soaps, creams, blades and balms to try.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Depends on the quality of your technique, the sharpness of your edge, and the unique characteristics of your face/skin. I find taking a day or two "off" over the weekend usually helps my face rejuvenate and monday's shave is one of the best.

All technique. The beauty of a straight for me is I can get it all done in 2 passes. Been doing it for 45 years. Only tip I have is maintain your edge. Learn to get good lather because that is your best prep. Moisturize after every shave to prep your skin for the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shave with a straight razor three phases a day, seven days a week and have done so for years. It's the second best way to start a day.

update: razor from whipped dog arrived and skipping almost gone so clearly a combo of poor technique at this point along with "shave ready" blade from ebay not so! I look forward to getting this down, very enjoyable thus far and thanks for all the tips and support from all!

I’ve only stared 6 weeks ago myself, and I just followed what my skin told me. First week or so was mostly dealing with the awkwardness of it all and some cuts and irritation. When irritations happened, I gave my skin a day or so of rest. Gradually, I was starting to shave better (not just the actual shaving, but how to effectively apply the pre, build the shaving lather, maintain/strop, etc), and I’ve been shaving daily for about 4 weeks now. My skin actually feels healthier than when I used to use my electric shaver. Good luck!

After a longer period withou shaving, my skin reacts very sensitive to it. Usually an ugly skin rash around the angles of my mouth and on chin is the result. Then, of course I cannot shave the next day and I wait for the rash to disappear, usually with the help of some cortisone cream. Then I repeat the shave. After roughly three or four shaves, my skin gets used to it and then I can return to a daily shave. So there is some getting used to it time but I am pretty sure, that with the right skin preparation and technique, everyone can shave each day. But sometimes I use the excuse of sensitive skin when I am too lazy to shave...

When you'll have slipped down the rabbit hole of acquisition disorders too deep, you'll want to shave thrice a day!

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Top Bottom