What's new

Newbie looking to buy first straight razor

Hi All,

I’ve been a lurker around these forums for years but have finally decided to register last week, I’ve been clean shaven all my life until recently and used a DE razor, although been wanting to try a straight razor for a long time.

I currently have a beard for the first time in my life, and after having it trimmed by the barber using a straight razor it’s reignited the desire to do it myself. I intend (for now) to use it to trim my beard, but I may well end up going clean shaven again at some point, I do miss shaving the whole face!

I am a little confused as to what I should be looking for as a newbie in this area, my instinct says to spend a reasonable amount to get something that will last, which is what the top link below suggests, however the bottom link says get in as cheap as possible as you don’t know what you want.

What is a shave ready razor?
Straight Razor FAQs

Just looking for some advice as to what I would be best getting started with, or if anything will do as per the FAQ, also does anyone know of any UK based suppliers? I’m quite keen on using Whipped Dog based on reviews here, but a UK based supplier (and if they are a forum member even better) would be more convenient, particularly for future purchases or honing.

Thanks!

Hi All,

I’ve been a lurker around these forums for years but have finally decided to register last week, I’ve been clean shaven all my life until recently and used a DE razor, although been wanting to try a straight razor for a long time.

I currently have a beard for the first time in my life, and after having it trimmed by the barber using a straight razor it’s reignited the desire to do it myself. I intend (for now) to use it to trim my beard, but I may well end up going clean shaven again at some point, I do miss shaving the whole face!

I am a little confused as to what I should be looking for as a newbie in this area, my instinct says to spend a reasonable amount to get something that will last, which is what the top link below suggests, however the bottom link says get in as cheap as possible as you don’t know what you want.

What is a shave ready razor?
Straight Razor FAQs

Just looking for some advice as to what I would be best getting started with, or if anything will do as per the FAQ, also does anyone know of any UK based suppliers? I’m quite keen on using Whipped Dog based on reviews here, but a UK based supplier (and if they are a forum member even better) would be more convenient, particularly for future purchases or honing.

Thanks!

So, I started about 6 weeks ago using a Feather SS (folding) with Pro Guard Feather blades from Amazon. I figured that I would start with a shavette and see if I liked a SR before getting into honing and stropping.

I know you probably won't consider it, but I found that my experience with a GEM Micromatic got me to understand the angle necessary for a SR. I have evolved and each step has been very practical in getting me here.

I've found I want slick, wet later.

Barbers are trained to shave a balloon in order to get the idea of the angle necessary to shave and not become a meat cutter.

Good for you for being across the pond so to speak. Maybe a English Sheffield, French, or German SR would be to your liking. :)

Hi there, and welcome!

If it's UK you should check a guy on Ebay who goes by the name billyji1. He has some shave ready vintage razors and Gold Dollars up right now at reasonable prices. He seems to be fairly reputable.
I've bought from him myself and others on this forum have mentioned getting good service from him.

If it's new your after, then check this site The Invisible Edge - Shave Ready Straight Razors Shipped Worldwide.
I bought a new Dovo Bismark from him, which is now my favourite razor.

Just be aware there are lots of people selling razors on Ebay who have never shaved with a straight. Just be carefull.

Get in cheap. GD or zy by a guy who deals with them is the way to go. This way when you decide to start honing you already have a practice blade. Lot of guys get in, not everyone stays in. Keep the initial investment low. And go from there is what I would do.

I started with a minor splurge and got a new Dovo Forestal, 5/8", full hollow grind with the additional honing service from West Coast Shaving. It worked just fine. That said, I quickly sent it to a B&B member who put a real edge on it. I still love that razor and may never let go of it. And that's the key. Start with something that appeals to you, but make sure it's sharp. You may want a second razor so that as one dulls and needs to be sent out to refresh the edge, you still have one in hand to shave.

As I've progressed (yes, by buying more and more razors) I have found that I generally prefer wider blades, 6/8" or 7/8", with heavier grinds, quarter hollow or near wedge. Do I regret my first purchase? Not at all. Do I wish I hadn't acquired as many 5/8", full hollow razors right up front? ... Kind of. So my advice after the first razor (or pair) is to make sure you try different varieties; width, grind, and toe style to find your sweet spot before you go whole hog.

I started with SR's in January this year so know some of what you're going through trying to decide.

More by accident than anything my strategy worked well. I bought one fairly good blade although vintage from a reputable dealer here in the US so I knew I would have one that worked and as benchmark. That was what I would call mid-range at about $120 (I know for some that would be pricey). At the same time I bought a couple of less expensive vintage pieces on ebay and taught myself to hone whilst learning the shaving technique with the first.

After that it all fell apart a bit and SRAD kicked I, but I managed to keep it fairly under control.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Your best bang for the buck is a decent vintage razor. It has already depreciated as much as it ever will, assuming it is well cared for. A new razor begins depreciating as soon as you open the package. If you don't like straight shaving, you can resell the vintage and take little or no loss on it. Some of us are less concerned about such matters, and want a new razor that looks great and instills a certain pride of ownership. Its all good. Whatever blows your skirt up. Just be sure it comes shave ready, REALLY shave ready not just claimed to be. Perform one of the standard sharpness tests, such as HHT or treetopping. Don't bother shaving your arm hair. That is only a test for a pocketknife. And if it isn't truly shave ready, send it to a member who will make it so.

I got mine here on the forum in the BST. You could check there for a good deal. More than likely anyone who is selling one there is selling a truly shave ready razor

Buy what makes you happy. If cheap makes you happy - go cheap. If not, spend a little, or a lot, whatever it is - just be happy. There is nothing wrong with wanting used, or new, there are advantages to both. Whatever you get, if you don't like it you can sell it. Or keep it and try it another time lather on.
But buy from a reputable dealer that is known for delivering a razor that will shave correctly. And just because someone says they sell shave ready blades, that does not mean that they actually do.
Read, do some reasearch, use maximum common sense always.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I’ve taken the plunge and purchased a vintage ‘The Fisher Paul Kohl Solingen’ from billyji1, I did a little bit of searching and he seemed to be highly thought of elsewhere too, so that gave me confidence.

I contacted him for advice and he was very helpful, I’ve also purchased a leather/canvas paddle strop, he suggested that I’d be less likely to round the edge with a flat strop.

Looking forward to receiving it now!

Thanks for all the advice guys, I’ve taken the plunge and purchased a vintage ‘The Fisher Paul Kohl Solingen’ from billyji1, I did a little bit of searching and he seemed to be highly thought of elsewhere too, so that gave me confidence.

I contacted him for advice and he was very helpful, I’ve also purchased a leather/canvas paddle strop, he suggested that I’d be less likely to round the edge with a flat strop.

Looking forward to receiving it now!
I have a Fisher razor as well. Billy is a well known regular at a forum called The Shave Den. I'm sure you will like your new razor. Have fun! :)

Top Bottom