What's new

Newbie looking for a shorter smoke

I started smoking cigarettes over 30 years ago, but quit about 2 years ago. About 15 years ago, I attempted to take up pipe smoking, but couldn't get the hang of it. (Perhaps I could give that another try).

Some of you may recall, a couple months ago, Cigars International offered a 3 cigar sampler pack, shipped, for $1. I took advantage of that just to give it a shot. Not bad, but 2 things:

1) They took about 45-60 minutes to enjoy. That's great if I have the time, but it would be nice to have an option for a 15-20 minute smoke, too.

2) SWMBO was turned off by the aroma of 2 of the 3 (and the 3rd was just "not bad"). When I smoked a pipe, my main tobacco was Captain Black Royal; she liked that.

So, any recommendations for some good, aromatic little cigars or cigarillos? I'm completely new to this, and have no ideas even what's out there and available.

Last edited:
Some of the smaller Acid cigars like the Waif might be what your looking for. Gurkha makes flavored small cigars as well.

Oh, those look excellent! Will have to give them a try - thanks!

Some of the smaller Acid cigars like the Waif might be what your looking for. Gurkha makes flavored small cigars as well.
The Acids look promising, too. Has anyone here tried them? Still need to do a little research on the Gurkhas.

Thanks for the pointers, gents! :001_smile

Well, I tried a Middleton Black & Mild tonight, very nice. I wish it didn't have a plastic tip; don't much care for that. Nice and mild, wonderfully aromatic - SWMBO seemed to like the aroma. And, the perfect size for a quick 15-20 minute smoke.

I can imagine some of you true cigar aficionados out there rolling your eyes at me and what I'm currently doing. But, hey - it's a start! :001_smile

Well, I tried a Middleton Black & Mild tonight, very nice. I wish it didn't have a plastic tip; don't much care for that. Nice and mild, wonderfully aromatic - SWMBO seemed to like the aroma. And, the perfect size for a quick 15-20 minute smoke.

I can imagine some of you true cigar aficionados out there rolling your eyes at me and what I'm currently doing. But, hey - it's a start! :001_smile
Just get a cigar cutter and clip the tip off. Tell everyone it's a rare Cuban Cohiba, made only for foreign dignitarys. Don't worry about the afficionados, most of us are too busy checking the RH of our humidors. Smoke what you enjoy, that goes double for what your SWMBO enjoys!

Just get a cigar cutter and clip the tip off.
Huh - Wikipedia claimed that these are available untipped. A little googling turned up this press release (dated April 4, 2011) that claimed that Middleton was starting to offer untipped versions. But, heck if I can find anywhere on the 'net that sells 'em! :blink:

Try some cigarillos
Yup, I've been sampling several. Over the past week or so, I've tried:

Al Capone Cognac Dipped Sweets - very nice!
White Cat Original - OK, but nothing special
White Cat Black - another very nice smoke!
White Cat Sweet - Nice, but a little too sweet?
Supre Sweet - Again, nice, but I'm not so sure I like them that sweet.

But, last night's Black & Mild has been the best so far.

So little time, so many to sample! :thumbup1:

Huh - Wikipedia claimed that these (Black & Milds) are available untipped. ... But, heck if I can find anywhere on the 'net that sells 'em! :blink:
Well, whaddya know - my local tobacconist carries these! :laugh:

Try some cigarillos

+1. Nat Sherman cigarillos are pretty good.

FYI - SWMBO will rarely/never like the aroma of most cigars (unless she is a special lady). If you're gonna smoke cigars, SWMBO needs to morph into SHMDWI (She Who Must Deal With It). You gotta make sacrifices though, so smoke outside and wash hands/change clothes upon reentry.

+1. Nat Sherman cigarillos are pretty good.
Thanks! I'll have to check into them. Keep the suggestons coming! (Wow, it's looking like there's a larger variety of smokes out there than brands/varieties of shaving stuff!)

FYI - SWMBO will rarely/never like the aroma of most cigars (unless she is a special lady).
Well, she liked the aroma when I used to smoke (or try to smoke!) a pipe. That's why I'm sampling aromatic and pipe tobacco cigars.

I used to smoke Agio Meharis when I wanted a short smoke; short filler cigarillos, the Brazil wrapped ones were awesome.

I would pick up an Arturo Fuente Hemingway "Short Story"
Compared to some of the others you've noted, they are a bit pricey. However, you don't have to smoke them daily. I really enjoy them.

+1 to the short stories, my favorite cigar. Macanudo and Arturo Fuente, I think, both offer a tin of 10 cigarillos.

I would suggest a Better cigar such as say the CAO Flavours Cigars ... they come in small tins and have a variety of flavors, including non flavored. Acids are an acquired taste ... some like them ... some don't.

+1 on Acid. They have a model called Blondee that is superb. I have a couple of Acids called Juicy Lucy but I haven't tried them yet, they smell good, though.

Other short smokes you might like are Fonseca 2-2, Hemingway Short Story, Macanudo Caviar, Macanudo Court (NOT the Hampton Court,) and the H. Upmann Demi-Tasse.

You owe it to yourself to try out a Paul Garmirian Bombone. This is the smallest cigar I've ever had, about a 10 minute smoke, but don't let the size fool you. This is a STRONG cigar, and it will knock your socks off. Not recommended for beginners.

Last edited:
Top Bottom