What's new

Newbie looking for 1st razor

Hi, I'm going to start wet shaving again (20+ years with a beard) and am looking for recommendations on a good 1st razor to get (str8). My beard is not heavy but is pretty tough and my neck is irritated easily. I plan to use Edwin Jagger soap and a Tweezerman brush to start. Any recommendations and places to procure would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Last edited:
Larry Andro at http://www.whippeddog.com/ can set you up with a good vintage blade on a budget. For a new razor, check the vendor forum for sponsoring vendors. If they are B&B sponsoring vendors, they can set you up with a nice shave ready straight. Don't forget a strop :001_smile

Last edited:
Vintage blades are fun to have and use if you're into the history, but for learning I would really recommend getting a brand new razor from a retailer who will hone it for you and then stand behind what he sells.

The problem with vintage blades is that they are unique -- and there are dozens of different things that might be wrong or different about the blade that will make it a little bit more (or a lot more) difficult to hone or shave with. That's not a bad thing either, as one of the fun things about this hobby is finding an old razor for sale and restoring it back to its former, shave-ready glory.

But if you are learning, then you want to start with a blade that you KNOW is perfect, without any doubts or second thoughts. And fortunately, there are lots and lots of these blades available. Any low priced Thiers Issard or Dovo sold by a reputable dealer will fit the bill here. Personally, I like www.vintagebladesllc.com and www.classicshaving.com, but there are many others selling these razors too.

Absolutely, positively make sure that you have the seller HONE the blade before sending it to you. No matter what anyone says, these razors do not come "shave ready" from the factory, and that doesn't mean that they are defective or incomplete in some way. It's just that the factories do not have the time or incentive to put a perfect edge on their blades before shipping them to customers who are presumed to have some considerable honing experience themselves.

Anyway, good luck and don't forget to let us know what you end up with!

I started with Larry @ Whippeddog. Nothing wrong with his razors. I also have a couple of NOS vintage (new) and see no big difference between them.

I am waiting for my first straight to come in the mail from Larry at whippeddog.com . I also bought one of his poor mans strop kits. From everything I've read on here Larry will put a great edge on the blade, so you know your shaving withe a high quality straight, even though it may not be the best looking blade when you see it on his site. If you go to the site and don't see anything that looks good to you just call him. I called him on Friday to order mine, and he emailed me a picture of several other razors that he hadn't put up on the site yet and gave me my pick. He was a real nice guy talk to and was more than willing to answer some of my newbie questions.

Legion

Staff member
Whatever you get, make sure it comes pre honed and shave ready from someone who knows what they are doing. New razors, even when they say they are shave ready, usually aren't. You have to KNOW that your first razor is right. That way you can be sure that all the problems you will have while you are learning are down to your technique, not the razor.

I just finished my 4th shave with a razor form Whipped Dog, so Larry gets my vote as well. Great service, you won't be disappointed.

Welcome back! Let your budget decide what is right for you...cheaper vintage that is pre honed shave ready or new stock like Dovo all are good options. Even Ebay has some reputable selllers who specialize in shave ready. Most any of option for the tool will get the job done in the technique is there to go along with it...good luck!!

Reread post more carefully....cheap scaled Dovo carbon steel from Vintagebladesllc.com...fair price and free honing. Classicshaving is also fine from what I have heard, just never bought from them. Dovo has a under $100 starter razor which is a very nice shaver...I would recommend 5/8 to start as a baseline. Thiers razors are nice but I think thier entry point is a little higher. If you want something more eye candy and less utilitarian, the shavingshop.com has a lot of NOS beauties...best of all worlds, vintage steel blades in new and shave ready condition!!

Last edited:
I was drawn eventually to vintage razors and settled on a refurbished J.A. Henckels "Scout" imported by John Weis of Nashville, TN. I thought this was kismet because I live in Nashville. I bought it off ebay from cedarfurnitureman who seemed to be and is, as it turns out, extremely reputable. Good luck and let us know what you buy.

Are there any suggestions on the type grind I might want to look for? 1/4 hollow, 1/2 hollow, full hollow, wedge? I have no idea how this might affect the shaving experience.

Many recommend 1/4 hollow for first time users, however this is just opinion, I suspect as long as you get a properly honed razor from a reputable vendor or honemeister you'll do just fine.

I was drawn eventually to vintage razors and settled on a refurbished J.A. Henckels "Scout" imported by John Weis of Nashville, TN. I thought this was kismet because I live in Nashville. I bought it off ebay from cedarfurnitureman who seemed to be and is, as it turns out, extremely reputable. Good luck and let us know what you buy.

A thing of beauty, that razor be, a fine selection, Bobo.

My first straight-razor was a 4/8 Aesculap surgical straight with a hollow-ground stainless steel blade. It provides excellent shaves. Full or extra-hollow grind blades should be left for when you have a bit more experience. I shaved with my other razor (which is an extra-hollow) and the difference between that and my 'Sculap is amazingly different and it took some getting used to.

I reckon a smaller razor is best to start with. 4 or 5/8 is generally the recommended size, and I've come to agree with that. Razors with larger blades can be difficult to use for the uninitiated.

Well, I ended up getting an Invincible Spike that was shave ready. I shaved with it the other day and it was not very comfortable. Spike is SHARP :w00t:. I don't know if I messed up the edge trying to strop it before shaving but it didn't cut very well for me. I am sending it out to be honed again just to know for sure it is done right. I'll practice with an old razor for strop technique before attempting this one again. I also picked up a D'arcy that I'm having honed at the same time. Will give me something to compare to.

Picked up a VDH kit at the local drug store and have been working on lathering technique while using a DE. Cheapo boar brush wasn't working well so bought a Tweezerman. What a difference :biggrin1:. Even with the same soap it made a huge difference. I need to be careful, I can see a major case of the AD's coming on.....soaps.....more razors....another strop..or two........HELP:jump:
Thanks everyone and I'll keep in touch here.

Top Bottom