What's new

Newbie Lathering question

I recently received a AOS Travel set with the brush and all the goodies. I am waiting for my DE razor to be delivered and I also do not have a shave mug (nor did I know I needed one until I started looking on here). So my first shave I loaded the shave cream directly into my slightly wet brush and put it straight to face, until the lather was thick.

Can I use a regular coffee mug to help with the lather? Or should I just stick with lathering straight on my face? Any help for a newbie would be great.

Thanks

I use an old coffee mug to hold my soap and do a combination of mug/face lathering. It works for me. I may or may not work for you. As someone far wiser than me said, YMMV.

Try both ways and see which you prefer. No need to get a mug if you enjoy face lathering. Once you move onto soaps, they will work brilliantly for face lathering.

You will find that you'll aquire a collection of shave bowls and mugs over time. I have probably a dozen of them now, but remarkably I began face lathering a few months ago and I just love it. Try different things. Go through your kitchen, or the local Goodwill store, or antique malls and find bowls or mugs that interest you. You'll be surprized which ones you'll wind up really liking.

I recently received a AOS Travel set with the brush and all the goodies. I am waiting for my DE razor to be delivered and I also do not have a shave mug (nor did I know I needed one until I started looking on here). So my first shave I loaded the shave cream directly into my slightly wet brush and put it straight to face, until the lather was thick.

Can I use a regular coffee mug to help with the lather? Or should I just stick with lathering straight on my face? Any help for a newbie would be great.

Thanks
I'm always pleased to hear a newbie starting out with face lathering. Use your coffee mug to soak your brush.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I use a dozen or so matching coffee mugs, each of which holds a puck as if it were made to do so. Big problem these days is to figure out which one contains what. Makes for some surprising shaves. LOL

As you can see, some like a mug, some a scuttle, and some face lather. I use both a scuttle (see below what it looks like) and face lather. $Becker scuttle.jpg

I'm a face lather guy, but use a mug of sorts as a brush holder/warmer. Just because you're starting out, I'd suggest just going straight to the face w/ it. You're going to have enough to deal with in starting out w/ DE shaving (razor angle, blade type, pre-post items/routine, et. al.). You have a whole lifetime to fiddle with it, trying out a mug/scuttle is something that can wait.

Top Bottom