What's new

Newbie In search of a good blade

Hi All,

This is my first post here. After electric saving for about 25 years I switched to a DE razor. A store here (the Netherlands) recommended the Razorock GC oc 68 for my beard growth.
I bought a few samplers from razorbladesclub.com and started testing. I've been testing some blades now for about a month.

My problem is that almost all blades give me razor burn. Especially when they are platinum blades. I've tried
Personna Platinum
Astra SP (couldn't even finish the shave)
Kai
Qshave (bought the futur clone too)
These ware all giving me quit a burn.

I'm using Highland soap, a pre shave balm from Proraso sensitive and there after shave balm. I'm doing a 2 pass shave and no against the grain shave. Did it once.... But man was I irritated at the end.

The only ones that are working are voskhod and gillette 7 SS

Is there a logic to this? Wich blades can you recommend to try next? I'm getting tired of walking around with a red throat :)

Last edited:
Give yourself some time. I would say, use a light touch during a shave. Don't go 2 or 3 times over same area. Shave with one pass only.

Blades are good almost all of them. Try them all and find the one that works best for your skin.

Give yourself some time. I would say, use a light touch during a shave. Don't go 2 or 3 times over same area. Shave with one pass only.

Blades are good almost all of them. Try them all and find the one that works best for your skin.
I try not to put any pressure on the razor. But I'll try to be even more light.

I go over the area once. When shaving cream is removed I don't go over it again. The lather up again for a second pass. I'll try a 1 pas shave, and see if that's enough to go to work :)

Razor burn is a common complaint for people transitioning to DE shaving. It is usually related to your technique rather than the equipment. You have to practice and your skills will improve as you develop muscle memory. Give yourself at least several weeks.

Use the least amount of pressure you can, just "guide" the razor over the area to be shaved instead of bearing down.

Make sure you have made a good, slick lather. Always have a lather coat on the skin when shaving over it.

Don't try to get all the whiskers in one pass. Expect to reduce the whiskers gradually. Most people take two or three passes in different directions.

Learn the direction your whiskers grow. First, shave "with the grain" where possible. Then, "across the grain". If you are getting irritation, don't go "against the grain" for a while. Later on, you can try going against the grain if you want.

Don't "overshave" (go over the same area again and again too many times) trying to get a close shave. Aim for a comfortable shave first, you will get closer with practice.

Many blades will work well. We usually advise people to try a sampler so they can find their favorites. You may find after you have been shaving like this for a few months, your favorites will change.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Try one pass first and see if you can do that without irritation. Get a good thick lather for protection and use a very light touch with the razor.
Try your qshave on a low setting, I have one of those razors and despite some people knocking it I have found it to give good shaves
Practice technique first and try to notice the direction of growth of your beard, it is different in different areas and you may find that the irritation is from going against the beard without realising it.

Thanks,

I made a "map" in my holiday. So I have a good idea how the grain goes.
The first few weeks I nicked myself quite often now almost none. Technique is improving but still need to learn loads.

Is there a logic to this? Wich blades can you recommend to try next?

No, because Voskhods are PTFE-coated, as are most "platinum" blades. I know that Feathers and Tiger Platinum are actually coated with Platinum. However, if the coating is the heart of your problem, then any blade coating should give you irritation, such as Voskhod. You might try a "stainless" blade, those are chrome-only. Very good idea to order a sampler, but I think you should stick to the same blade for at least a month.
I would bet on other factors though, at your stage technique first and lubrication second.

Top Nederlands advies ;)

Voor mijn gevoel druk ik niet. Laat het gewicht van de krabber het doen. Maar ik zal daar nog eens meer op letten.
Dat gaat onbewust. Ik heb dat opgelost door de krabber zo vast te houden, dat duwen heel moeilijk is. Ik laat hem rusten op mijn ringvinger en houd hem losjes vast met duim en wijsvinger.

The above advice is excellent. It took me 8 months to get it dialed in, primarily because I kept hopping around looking for “my perfect blade”. I finally settled on one blade and worked on my technique. Then one morning, it just all came together. Every once in a while I get sloppy and get razor burn again. I suspect it happens to everyone. When you do, you have to go at it again the ne t morning and be more diligent with the proper technique. You say you aren’t pressing, but I bet you are. That’s usually the reason for irritation.

Too bad I can't practice multiple times a day :biggrin1:

I'll try some other grips as Will suggested. Primarily for my throat. It's always the same spot. And the grain is from center to the side there. I'll play around a bit with grips without a blade in it to see if I can get a grip with no pressure.

Thanks for the tips everyone!!!

The above advice is excellent. It took me 8 months to get it dialed in, primarily because I kept hopping around looking for “my perfect blade”. I finally settled on one blade and worked on my technique. Then one morning, it just all came together. Every once in a while I get sloppy and get razor burn again. I suspect it happens to everyone. When you do, you have to go at it again the ne t morning and be more diligent with the proper technique. You say you aren’t pressing, but I bet you are. That’s usually the reason for irritation.
Good advice. I would also say stick with one razor and one blade and learn to shave properly. One thing I do not agree on: it must have been at least 10 years since I had razor burn (or nicks or cuts). That was when I got my technique to an acceptable point. So it does not happen to every one ;-)

Don't "overshave" (go over the same area again and again too many times) trying to get a close shave.

Let me just reiterate this. It’s common to chase that BBS feeling and irritate your skin while in pursuit.

Also, while practicing your technique, learn how to “ride the cap” in the more sensitive areas.

One thing I do not agree on: it must have been at least 10 years since I had razor burn (or nicks or cuts). That was when I got my technique to an acceptable point. So it does not happen to every one ;-)

my hat is off to you sir. Every time I get too comfortable, I relapse and have a bad shave. It’s not automatic to me like it is some folks.

You’re a better man than I am Gunga Din.

Great advice above!

I support the concept that your quickest route to resolving the problem is to pick one set up. Then stick with that for awhile as you focus on improving your technique.

In the end, ‘traditional wet shaving’ is 90% technique IMO! The rest is related to your kit.
:thumbup1: :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Thanks, I have KAI blades in it now, and still 2 to go from the sampler. I'll use them the coming weeks and see if I can up my technique.
Did some lathering practice today and practiced with no blade in it for a looser grip.
I'll update this post how it's coming along.

Thanks again everyone :thumbup:

I try not to put any pressure on the razor. But I'll try to be even more light.

I go over the area once. When shaving cream is removed I don't go over it again. The lather up again for a second pass. I'll try a 1 pas shave, and see if that's enough to go to work :)
I remember the phrase, "Let the weight of the razor do the work."

In other words, don't apply as much pressure as you would with a cartridge razor. Just enough to get a close shave. I've only been wet-shaving since 2015 or thereabouts and am still learning different tips and tricks. There are plenty of "how-to" shaving videos on YouTube you could refer to as well.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Razor burn is caused when you take of too many layers of skin during the shave. That has not much to do with a blade or a razor. With a DE this occurs when you press down too much, and / or it you're scraping and not cutting at the right angle. One reason can be that the blade is not sharp enough so you press down to counter blance that, or you press down too hard because you are still learning. With your blade choice I would bet it's you and not the blade. Maybe use a different razor first. A cheap Gillette Tech would be my choice. If you live near Germany you could buy the Isana Safety Razor at Rossmann (it's a renamed Baili BD191 in a kind of gunmetal finish). Stay with that equipment ansd one blade that works quite well and practice technique. No blade will let you skip that stage. There are razors that make learning easier than others (Gillette Tech, Baili CC update, Mühle R89 / EJ DE 89, G&F Timor CC) Good luck.

Top Bottom