What's new

Newbie here with a DE safety razor in need of repair

Hey everyone,
My grandfather gave me his Gillette safety razor a few years ago (in good condition) and was very pleased with it initially. I unfortunately did not look after it properly by leaving it in the shower and not cleaning it regularly. The razor has a twist to open mechanism that has begun to struggle. It now will still twist but I have to push the base up to get the doors to flip open. They flip open unevenly and there is a noticeable gap in the top when they are closed. When I shave with it now it feels uneven and scratchy, and makes for a very unenjoyable shave. I have tried soaking in vinegar overnight, and have cleaned rust from the surface, but am hoping to send it away to someone who can give it a proper clean and make adjustments. I live in Australia, and my searches so far have not been fruitful.

Thanks in advance!

I would start by soaking your grandfather’s razor in Dawn and warm water. Work the mechanism, then repeat. Leave it for awhile. Then repeat! This often works for me.

Others here may have more complete routines.

I would start by soaking your grandfather’s razor in Dawn and warm water. Work the mechanism, then repeat. Leave it for awhile. Then repeat! This often works for me.

Others here may have more complete routines.

Thank you for this. I have heard a lot of Americans mentioning dawn for cleaning but we don't get this specific brand in Aus as far as I'm aware. I'm assuming regular dish washing liquid would do the trick? I'll give this a crack, but it definitely needs a service to tune up the mechanisms.

Thank you for this. I have heard a lot of Americans mentioning dawn for cleaning but we don't get this specific brand in Aus as far as I'm aware. I'm assuming regular dish washing liquid would do the trick? I'll give this a crack, but it definitely needs a service to tune up the mechanisms.

Dawn is a ‘standard’ brand here. It is good in the kitchen and is also what the environmentalists use on birds, etc., to clean up after oil-spills! (Plus it works great for razors IME!) :a14::a14:

My guess is that you likely have something very similar.

The razor has a twist to open mechanism that has begun to struggle. It now will still twist but I have to push the base up to get the doors to flip open. They flip open unevenly and there is a noticeable gap in the top when they are closed. When I shave with it now it feels uneven and scratchy, and makes for a very unenjoyable shave. I have tried soaking in vinegar overnight, and have cleaned rust from the surface
Don't use vinegar but a bathroom cleaner without bleach would be ideal. You need to do multiple soaks and be patient and don't force the mechanism because it will probably clean up.
You mention rust but I would think it was unlikely to made from ferrous metal. Try some light machine oil to lubricate the mechanism. Pictures would be useful.

Top Bottom