What's new

newbie checking in!

Hello and greetings to all. I started wet shaving 14 months ago after purchasing a KCG at walmart. I have always been particular about my shave since my USMC days. This was an altogether different animal that needed to be tamed but the transition has been very enjoyable. I wanted to say thank you to the guys on this forum for all your posts. By using google i have learned way beyond what i imagined i would from this forum and others in the community. That first KCG and can of barbasol has led to 50+ "many repeats" vintage gillette razors, several, several soaps with some definite favorites, lifetime stock pile of nacets and perma sharp blades. and wide array of synthetic brushes. In hindsight maybe i shouldnt be thanking you guys haha... anyway i hope i can contribute to the community and its very nice to be here
Welcome! As I said in another thread, part of the fun of this as a hobby is how it gives you the opportunity to acquire and use 100 year old razors at incredibly low prices. And, given that many of said razors are stainless steel, there's a good chance they'll outlive YOU!

I do suggest upgrading from the Barbasol can to a tube of Proraso sensitive skin, a scuttle, & badger hair shaving brush. They will all improve your experience immediately and markedly.

Again, welcome!
-Z

Welcome! As I said in another thread, part of the fun of this as a hobby is how it gives you the opportunity to acquire and use 100 year old razors at incredibly low prices. And, given that many of said razors are stainless steel, there's a good chance they'll outlive YOU!

I do suggest upgrading from the Barbasol can to a tube of Proraso sensitive skin, a scuttle, & badger hair shaving brush. They will all improve your experience immediately and markedly.

Again, welcome!
-Z
So very true and i am still amazed at how well they work. I guess i have been very lucky because the vintage gillettes really hit a sweet spot for my beard type and skin. The blue tip for slow easy days. The red tip for close and quick bbs. Regular flare tip and pre war tech for every day cruising. Slim adjustable/super adjustable for everything in between. I of course enjoy using them but also have enjoyed the hunt/game in finding them economically as well. Love the history and the hobby. Recently have been making my own shave sticks from pucks. Has made my mornings much quicker.

Top Bottom