What's new

Newbie checking in!

Hi All: New member checking-in!

I'm glad that I found this forum! I'm very new to wet shaving, have been using cartridge razors the whole time since I began shaving (17 years ago!!). They've never given me a good shave, many of them have given me rashes and irritation. Although I knew about wet shaving, I was afraid because of one bad experience: I tried a cheap plastic DE razor once and it removed a chunk off my chin that took a long time to heal :)

After finding this forum and reading the very informative threads here, I'm highly motivated to learn from you guys and eventually get rid of the cartridges for ever!

Last edited:
Awesome man welcome!

Start with a vintage Gillette! get a blade sampler to try what you like and then get some soaps and a brush. I highly recommend Razorock Don Marco, Proraso Green and Taylor of old bond street sandalwood to start. Good luck!

Awesome man welcome!

Start with a vintage Gillette! get a blade sampler to try what you like and then get some soaps and a brush. I highly recommend Razorock Don Marco, Proraso Green and Taylor of old bond street sandalwood to start. Good luck!
Thanks zed117!

I went through many posts about beginner's razor. Initially I thought of going with a Merkur or EJ, but after reading more and more it seems like a vintage is the way to go :)

It seems like the most suggested ones are SS, Tech, or Schick krona. Since I'm an absolute beginner I don't know what aggressiveness level I would like. Would you suggest starting with a tech?

That's a tough one, I have a tech, krona, old type, NEW, Knack, and a SS. Hahahaha I would suggest the Krona, it was my first and I still use it quite a bit, I would get a Krona and an Old type get two opposite ends of the specturme for less then $30.

Also get a blade sampler, razors feel different with blades I prefer a Feather in my Krona and a Personna blue in my Old Type.

Hello and welcome, Andy. B&B is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You will learn a lot here.

Hi Andy. As a neophyte myself I can't (yet) comment on the merits of vintage razors but the DE89 has treated me well.

Welcome to B&B!

While I do recommend getting a blade sampler eventually, I think it is a good idea to start with a single blade type, and stick with it for 30 days while you learn technique. Once you feel comfortable with the razor and blade type, then you can start experimenting with the blade sampler.

Thank you all!

Welcome to B&B!

While I do recommend getting a blade sampler eventually, I think it is a good idea to start with a single blade type, and stick with it for 30 days while you learn technique. Once you feel comfortable with the razor and blade type, then you can start experimenting with the blade sampler.
Hmm.. I was going to build a sampler from tryablade. Can you suggest a starter blade then?

Welcome to the forum. For a starter blade the Astra SP is inexpensive and a good performer. I use it as my standard test blade in my EJ 89. What I mean by that is when I test a new product I use that blade and razor because I know they provide a consistent shave. You could also try the personnas or rapira platinum I like both of them as well. I would definitely pick one blade and razor to use though to start out and hone your technique.

Top Bottom