What's new

NEW with common thin handle

Nice razor. Those short combs are great shavers. Yes it can take the common thick bar handle. The threads are the same. Enjoy.

SCs tend to have a narrow gap between the bars. You may have to use a washer to get another handle to sit flush.

Hi,

If you mean use a thick Bar handle in place of the thin Bar handle, then yes. The threads and diameter of the top are the same for both the thin and the thick Gillette Bar handles. :)

Stan

Hi,

If you mean use a thick Bar handle in place of the thin Bar handle, then yes. The threads and diameter of the top are the same for both the thin and the thick Gillette Bar handles. :)

Stan

There are two thick bar handles with different top diameters!
$20141031_093602-1.jpg$20141031_093623-1.jpg

If the razor came with the thin bar handle in the pictures, most likely the larger diameter won't fit.

But I think the OP was asking about other handles, such as modern stainless steel handles, might be wrong though.

New SC? Nice find! I'm truly jealous! I have a LC and the threads aren't the problem, it's the space between the bar on the underside of the head that's the issue. The handle from my fat handle tech fits just fine. Haven't tried the "washer" idea for "fatter" for handles such as my DE89. It threads OK, but doesn't fit between the bars.

Thanks everyone. All very illustrative comments. I am considering both a thicker common or a modern handle. I tried with a merkur 33c and a mühle r41 handles and both could use a washer like rabidus suggests.

Oh, BTW. I tried it just now and it is a great shave. I also glides with ease around the contours of the neck. Very happy.

Last edited:
New SC? Nice find! I'm truly jealous! I have a LC and the threads aren't the problem, it's the space between the bar on the underside of the head that's the issue. The handle from my fat handle tech fits just fine. Haven't tried the "washer" idea for "fatter" for handles such as my DE89. It threads OK, but doesn't fit between the bars.

Herm2502 I remember we where both in search of our first NEW at the same time. I saw you got a pretty nice ball-end. Hope you are enjoying yours as much as I am enjoying mine.

Gents, an update: I am really enjoying this razor. Have not used any other razor since I have this one.
The blade seem to last longer too.

Herm2502 I remember we where both in search of our first NEW at the same time. I saw you got a pretty nice ball-end. Hope you are enjoying yours as much as I am enjoying mine.

Yes, I am. I was pleasantly surprised how nice it shaves. I had seen this one at a local flea market, but didn't know what it was. It was completely black and ugly. I went back and it was still there, for $9. Brought it home and it cleaned up nicely. It has a tiny hairline crack at the top end, nothing major. Glad you like yours too. I've since also found a New Standard at an estate sale. It shaves every bit as nice as the New.

In keeping with this thread, I'm still looking for a bar handle. And I'm still looking for a SC.

Yes, I am. I was pleasantly surprised how nice it shaves. I had seen this one at a local flea market, but didn't know what it was. It was completely black and ugly. I went back and it was still there, for $9. Brought it home and it cleaned up nicely. It has a tiny hairline crack at the top end, nothing major. Glad you like yours too. I've since also found a New Standard at an estate sale. It shaves every bit as nice as the New.

In keeping with this thread, I'm still looking for a bar handle. And I'm still looking for a SC.

Am also looking for a bar handle. Even when it could take other handles, I want to try the sc with the thicker/heavier bar handle.
That was a good score with the ball-ned. Standards are so nice looking. Good luck finding what you are looking for.

Top Bottom