What's new

New to the forum, looking to buy a straight razor

Hi guys,

New to the community, I have been reading some threads here and there and I can't wait to get me a straight razor myself.
I don't want to dive in and buy me a super expensive one, just to have it laying around for a while and then forgetting about it.
I've been sharpening knives for a year or two now (for kitchen use only), so I figured I could buy a second-hand razor that needs some sharpening.
I was going through the 'what to look for when buying a SR from the flea market' thread, and then I scoured second hand websites and found this one, what do you guys think (see below)?

Asking price is €20. In my opinion, it looks alright, looks like it has a small frown, but upwards, so that's ok, but it's not a brand that's mentioned in the list of 'known and respective brands'. Although it's a razor from Solingen, Germany, this does not mean 100% quality. The seller mentions that the brand is H. Koopmann, but it's not easy to read.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys,

razor2.PNG razor3.PNG razor4.PNG razor1.PNG

Welcome to B&B, @BackyJr. We can't comment on price here (only you can decide if you are willing to pay any given price). What I would suggest is to have a look at our BST forum and see if there's anything to your liking. I trust our members here a great deal more when it comes to the quality of goods being sold/traded than I do any other place.

Honing razors is very different than sharpening knives, so I would suggest that you don't spend too much and try to pick up two; one that should come shave ready (act as a baseline), and one for you to practice honing on.

Thanks :) I supposed it is indeed quite different from sharpening knives, just saw the Gold Dollar competition thread, might be a good idea to get a package of those and have one made shave-ready by someone. It'll probably be for the best to have one as a baseline instead of messing up razor after razor.

Welcome to B&B. Don't spend too much on the first straight razor till you have learnt to hone and maintain the edge. Think in terms of a starter project. There are different methods of honing so check in on the straight razor forum.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. If I were going to buy a straight razor, I would get a used one from Whipped Dog. He reconditions used razors, makes them shave-ready, and is an honest vendor who is also a member of this forum.

I suggest that you just hang out on the forum for a few weeks and soak up some knowledge before you consider buying anything. Once you have done that, a whipped dog brush, strop, and TWO razors will get you started nicely, but you will also know about other options.

Oooh, Slash! That's for weighing in as you just reminded me of something a wise man once said (well, "many times said" is more accurate but it doesn't sound quite right :tongue_sm )

"Don't let anyone hone your razor who doesn't SHAVE with a straight."

@BackyJr , psst .... this is what I was talking about with knives -vs- straights

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. If I were going to buy a straight razor, I would get a used one from Whipped Dog. He reconditions used razors, makes them shave-ready, and is an honest vendor who is also a member of this forum.

+1 What xxvaleria said! Sharpening knives is nothing like "honing" straight razors! You will surely be disappointed! Hang around a bit, read a lot, slow down. Fast is slow, slow is fast.

Thanks for the warm welcome you guys :) It indeed seems better to slow down a bit and check out the forums.
Will keep on reading !

Top Bottom