What's new

New to the forum, looking to buy a straight razor

Hi guys,

New to the community, I have been reading some threads here and there and I can't wait to get me a straight razor myself.
I don't want to dive in and buy me a super expensive one, just to have it laying around for a while and then forgetting about it.
I've been sharpening knives for a year or two now (for kitchen use only), so I figured I could buy a second-hand razor that needs some sharpening.
I was going through the 'what to look for when buying a SR from the flea market' thread, and then I scoured second hand websites and found this one, what do you guys think (see below)?

Asking price is €20. In my opinion, it looks alright, looks like it has a small frown, but upwards, so that's ok, but it's not a brand that's mentioned in the list of 'known and respective brands'. Although it's a razor from Solingen, Germany, this does not mean 100% quality. The seller mentions that the brand is H. Koopmann, but it's not easy to read.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys,

razor2.PNG razor3.PNG razor4.PNG razor1.PNG

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Welcome to B&B, @BackyJr. We can't comment on price here (only you can decide if you are willing to pay any given price). What I would suggest is to have a look at our BST forum and see if there's anything to your liking. I trust our members here a great deal more when it comes to the quality of goods being sold/traded than I do any other place.

Honing razors is very different than sharpening knives, so I would suggest that you don't spend too much and try to pick up two; one that should come shave ready (act as a baseline), and one for you to practice honing on.

Thanks :) I supposed it is indeed quite different from sharpening knives, just saw the Gold Dollar competition thread, might be a good idea to get a package of those and have one made shave-ready by someone. It'll probably be for the best to have one as a baseline instead of messing up razor after razor.

Welcome to B&B. Don't spend too much on the first straight razor till you have learnt to hone and maintain the edge. Think in terms of a starter project. There are different methods of honing so check in on the straight razor forum.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. If I were going to buy a straight razor, I would get a used one from Whipped Dog. He reconditions used razors, makes them shave-ready, and is an honest vendor who is also a member of this forum.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I suggest that you just hang out on the forum for a few weeks and soak up some knowledge before you consider buying anything. Once you have done that, a whipped dog brush, strop, and TWO razors will get you started nicely, but you will also know about other options.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Oooh, Slash! That's for weighing in as you just reminded me of something a wise man once said (well, "many times said" is more accurate but it doesn't sound quite right :tongue_sm )

"Don't let anyone hone your razor who doesn't SHAVE with a straight."

@BackyJr , psst .... this is what I was talking about with knives -vs- straights

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. If I were going to buy a straight razor, I would get a used one from Whipped Dog. He reconditions used razors, makes them shave-ready, and is an honest vendor who is also a member of this forum.

+1 What xxvaleria said! Sharpening knives is nothing like "honing" straight razors! You will surely be disappointed! Hang around a bit, read a lot, slow down. Fast is slow, slow is fast.

Thanks for the warm welcome you guys :) It indeed seems better to slow down a bit and check out the forums.
Will keep on reading !

Top Bottom