What's new

New to straight shaving question

I'm shaving with a shavette for a few days now, and I have been using shaving foam. I want to ask before trying, is shaving soap in a bowl Ok? I'm new to this, does shaving soap like proraso give you a better shave? Or should I stick with the foam for awhile. My technique is better on my second shave as of closeness. Have watched some YouTube videos and have only had the courage to shave wtg/xtg. Would like to shave atg at some point, if there is any pointers much appreciated. I'm shaving tonight, need to know what technique I should use! I currently have been a long time de razor user!

Canned foam is much improved with added water and a brush IME. Most straight shavers use a wetter lather.
I just watched a video where the guy used shaving foam with added water. I will take your advice. I already use a foam that's thin in consistency using my ch2 synthetic brush, I buy the foam from dollar store, it seems to be thinner than let's say Gillette foamy sensitive, I will add some water to the mix Thanks! Regards Steve

I would recommend a real shaving soap, but if you don't have any adding water and lathering the canned stuff with a brush works surprisingly well IME.
I just finished shaving with the canned stuff, just now. Adding water works surprisingly well, much better, better sound feedback as well. Much of a closer shave, and not bad for a shavette. From what I heard the gold dollar straight razor is a good start, which I have as well. But needs to be honed still. Happy with the shavette. I used a feather blade in it this time which I have never done till now. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 1557522240981633463563.jpg
    1557522240981633463563.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 9
You can use the canned gel/foam, shaving cream or soap. It’s all a matter of preference. A wet, slick lather is the key.

My preference is for soaps. I had Proraso Red on deck today.

I'm shaving with a shavette for a few days now, and I have been using shaving foam. I want to ask before trying, is shaving soap in a bowl Ok? I'm new to this, does shaving soap like proraso give you a better shave? Or should I stick with the foam for awhile. My technique is better on my second shave as of closeness. Have watched some YouTube videos and have only had the courage to shave wtg/xtg. Would like to shave atg at some point, if there is any pointers much appreciated. I'm shaving tonight, need to know what technique I should use! I currently have been a long time de razor user!

Congratulations on the new venture. My only advice is to go slow and think about every stroke you make. Don’t shave without a lathered face and keep it hydrated.

Many shavers prefer soap. That does not mean it is better, but you will find what you like in time. as @MilkCrate said, wet and slick is key.

The Gold Dollar razor is made of good steel, but it needs lots of help to make it sharp for shaving. Are you going to hone it yourself? Learning to hone is not an easy thing to add to learning to shave because if something isn't right, it can be difficult to tell if it is the honing or the shaving that went badly.

Learning to shave ATG is also kind of hard. It is very important to think in terms of super light passes that gradually reduce the tiny amount of stubble closer and closer to nothing. The ATG pass comes last, after WTG and/or XTG have already done their jobs.

Anything and everything you would say to a new DE shaver applies doubly for straight razors. When a new shaver is learning DE shaving, we often tell them to use NO PRESSURE - this is twice as true with a straight razor! I found that learning a straight has done truly wonderous things to my ability to shave with a DE razor because of this!

Welcome aboard!

Many shavers prefer soap. That does not mean it is better, but you will find what you like in time. as @MilkCrate said, wet and slick is key.

The Gold Dollar razor is made of good steel, but it needs lots of help to make it sharp for shaving. Are you going to hone it yourself? Learning to hone is not an easy thing to add to learning to shave because if something isn't right, it can be difficult to tell if it is the honing or the shaving that went badly.

Learning to shave ATG is also kind of hard. It is very important to think in terms of super light passes that gradually reduce the tiny amount of stubble closer and closer to nothing. The ATG pass comes last, after WTG and/or XTG have already done their jobs.

Anything and everything you would say to a new DE shaver applies doubly for straight razors. When a new shaver is learning DE shaving, we often tell them to use NO PRESSURE - this is twice as true with a straight razor! I found that learning a straight has done truly wonderous things to my ability to shave with a DE razor because of this!

Welcome aboard!
Yes I am going to hone it myself. Thanks for the info

If the razor is sharp and you’ve mapped the areas that require ATG, two WTG passes can accomplish a fine result.
I have to agree atg, wtg passes accomplish a great result. I have only straight shaved 3 times now, on my 3rd was the finest. Still learning.

"I'm shaving with a shavette for a few days now, and I have been using shaving foam."

BIG mistake. You need real lather for this kind of razor. I don't know what kind of foam the other guys are recommending. It must be something I have never used. I haven't used foam for about six years.

"I'm shaving with a shavette for a few days now, and I have been using shaving foam."

BIG mistake. You need real lather for this kind of razor. I don't know what kind of foam the other guys are recommending. It must be something I have never used. I haven't used foam for about six years.
I think I am done with foam all together. Just doesn't give the result my soaps give at all. Not close enough! Imho

When I first started out with real wet shaving I was advised against using foam. I have found that to be sound advice.

Top Bottom