What's new

New to Safety Razor Questions!

Everything arrived!

proxy.php

I’m going to go work out then take a shower and try out making lather for the first time!! So excited, who knew shaving could be this much fun??

Everything arrived!

proxy.php

I’m going to go work out then take a shower and try out making lather for the first time!! So excited, who knew shaving could be this much fun??

That looks like a great setup. I'm excited to hear how it goes.

Don't use the picture on the box as an indication of how much lather you need.

I called Amazon and they’ve issued a full refund. Just today I ordered some more Williams from a DIFFERENT seller on Amazon, along with a Marvy rubber shaving mug:

https://www.amazon.com/Marvy-Rubber...s=Shaving+mug&qid=1561612069&s=gateway&sr=8-7

I figured since I travel so much (military) an unbreakable mug such as this would be much safer and durable for transport. Anyone have any history on these mugs? Are they a new invention, or have they been around for a while? Just curious.

The mug is the next best thing to indestructible. I've dropped mine a couple of times with no damage. The Williams is a perfect fit. The William Marvy company goes back to 1936. Just think Barber Poles.

Hey gang! Well, it went okay I suppose, but some issues. Took a lot of time to get a nice lather built up, using all the tips and suggestions I’ve learned here. I think I still have a lot of experimentation and learning ahead though. My face felt quite irritated, and the alum block sure stung this time! Not sure if I was pressing too hard, if my lather wasn’t so good, or if I might be sensitive to the Williams.

Tomorrow I’ll go back to the canned Barbasol and see what it does. Will keep you all updated! Thanks so much gang!

*GASP* Canned goo? One hit of a soap & quit? Try 'no pressure' when applying the razor next time, man. Give it a honest trial for a week or so, eh?

Sounds good. I thought also maybe the brush might be irritating the skin, as I had to brush a lot on my face to build the lather. I have very hard water (Las Vegas) so that might be why? Perhaps I need to try the lather in the mug method... not sure.

Hey gang! Well, it went okay I suppose, but some issues. Took a lot of time to get a nice lather built up, using all the tips and suggestions I’ve learned here. I think I still have a lot of experimentation and learning ahead though. My face felt quite irritated, and the alum block sure stung this time! Not sure if I was pressing too hard, if my lather wasn’t so good, or if I might be sensitive to the Williams.

Tomorrow I’ll go back to the canned Barbasol and see what it does. Will keep you all updated! Thanks so much gang!

Sorry it didn't go so well the first time. It could be the hard water. I looked back in my records, and I had 76 shaves with Barbasol and Gillette Foamy before starting with Williams. By then, I'd refined my razor technique so I got few nicks. I count the tiniest bit of blood as a nick. If it runs a bit, it's a weeper. I did feel some stinging when I used a little aftershave. I recorded "great shave" for my first shave with Williams. I think I lathered in a bowl then. Mug lathering might work for you. It's worth a try. It will use more soap, but it will still be inexpensive.

The flaps on Van der Hagen razors do have a tendency to open a bit when they are new. Make sure to tighten them snugly and check the thing at the end of the handle while shaving.

I suggest trying mug lathering the next time. If it works, press on. If not, rinse your face and use the Barbasol. After that, try bowl lathering. As a last resort, you can cover the puck in warm water for about 15 minutes before starting to shave. Dump the water out before starting. This is called blooming. You should only need to do this once to hydrate the puck.

Sorry it didn't go so well the first time. It could be the hard water. I looked back in my records, and I had 76 shaves with Barbasol and Gillette Foamy before starting with Williams. By then, I'd refined my razor technique so I got few nicks. I count the tiniest bit of blood as a nick. If it runs a bit, it's a weeper. I did feel some stinging when I used a little aftershave. I recorded "great shave" for my first shave with Williams. I think I lathered in a bowl then. Mug lathering might work for you. It's worth a try. It will use more soap, but it will still be inexpensive.

The flaps on Van der Hagen razors do have a tendency to open a bit when they are new. Make sure to tighten them snugly and check the thing at the end of the handle while shaving.

I suggest trying mug lathering the next time. If it works, press on. If not, rinse your face and use the Barbasol. After that, try bowl lathering. As a last resort, you can cover the puck in warm water for about 15 minutes before starting to shave. Dump the water out before starting. This is called blooming. You should only need to do this once to hydrate the puck.

2nd shave with the Williams complete, went better this time.

I tried mug lathering for the first time. Kind of a workout! Kept adding water, scrubbing and blotting, over and over, but got a decent enough hydrated feeling lather. Paid close attention to using a light stroke and didn’t go over my face too many times.

Still a bit of discomfort, some dryness and stinging, but not as bad as before. Will keep pressing on. I need to find something to maybe use after the alum block? Some kind of lotion? Not sure...

2nd shave with the Williams complete, went better this time.

I tried mug lathering for the first time. Kind of a workout! Kept adding water, scrubbing and blotting, over and over, but got a decent enough hydrated feeling lather. Paid close attention to using a light stroke and didn’t go over my face too many times.

Still a bit of discomfort, some dryness and stinging, but not as bad as before. Will keep pressing on. I need to find something to maybe use after the alum block? Some kind of lotion? Not sure...

I'm glad to hear it is at least going better. You shouldn't need to keep adding water, so I'll ask a dumb question. Are you wetting the brush when you start? I only ask this because a friend wasn't.

I find that anytime I add water, it kills the lather.

When I first started using Williams, I alternated Barbasol and Williams days. I did this for 72 shaves. This was extreme, but I was planning to use up a can of Barbasol. Try ten days and see what happens. Your subconscious may solve the problems on the days you are using Barbasol.

Any dryness or tightness you are feeling after shaving is likely due to soap left on your skin. Rinse well.

Everything arrived!

proxy.php

Very nice. If you can lather Williams you can lather anything. With some time and attention the Williams can look like;
I personally use Boars on my hard soaps. I'm loving your set up. I started with a VDH as well that was bought in the PX at the Baghdad Embassy Compound to shave off a Grizzly Adams beard. I've upgraded to Rockwell Products, Blackland Products, and Muhle sense then. My wife uses the VDH for her armpits, and loves it.

You'll find 95% of your shave will be preparation. I've only had one shave soap not work for me. Every other shave soap and cream I can get to work fantastic. It's all about paying attention and adding water slowly as you build the lather.

You'll get a lot of advise on this forum. Most of it is fantastic. Everyone on this forum wants only the best for everyone else. The big thing is find your way and what works for you. Welcome to traditional wetshaving and have a great time.

Alright guys, I’m pretty well set, it’s the Williams.

Been trying to shave with it for several days with it only stinging and drying my face awfully. Even after multiple rinses, my hard water (Las Vegas) might be the culprit, but seems like my tender face can’t stand it! Maybe it’s my synthetic brush? But Ive tried mug lathering and just used the brush to apply the lather, yet it still hurts... shaved again today with Barbasol “canned goo” and my face is back to buttery with zero irritation.

So... for the love of god, what to do?? I’ve thought of maybe trying Proraso cream and bowl? How I pine for an old fashioned traditional cream or soap, yet one that won’t make me sting... :(

Been trying to shave with it for several days with it only stinging and drying my face awfully. Even after multiple rinses, my hard water (Las Vegas) might be the culprit, but seems like my tender face can’t stand it! Maybe it’s my synthetic brush? But Ive tried mug lathering and just used the brush to apply the lather, yet it still hurts... shaved again today with Barbasol “canned goo” and my face is back to buttery with zero irritation.

So... for the love of god, what to do?? I’ve thought of maybe trying Proraso cream and bowl? How I pine for an old fashioned traditional cream or soap, yet one that won’t make me sting... :(

You're trying too many things at the same time do, break it down.

1. Just face lather with Williams and the syn brush. If that causes u irritation get other soaps like proraso white, TFS or stuff more suited to sensitive skin.
Don't shave just face lather first.

2. Having found a soap/cream that works shave with a cart to see if it works.

3. Get a pack of blade samplers to see which blade works.

Rinse repeat.

Mawashi

There are many people who can't make good lather with Williams. I wouldn't admit defeat yet. Have you tried lathering your face and then rinsing without shaving to see if you get the irritation? To see if it's the water, you could even use bath soap and lather your face with your hands. If that doesn't cause irritation, use the Williams puck like a bar of soap and do the same. Don't worry about shaving quality lather.

Proraso might be an easy cure if it's the Williams.

Barbasol and Gillette Foamy are traditional canned foams. Generally "goo" is used for gels in a can. Proraso also has a canned foam. Canned products are expensive to ship, but there is probably a shaving store in Las Vegas.

There are many people who can't make good lather with Williams. I wouldn't admit defeat yet. Have you tried lathering your face and then rinsing without shaving to see if you get the irritation? To see if it's the water, you could even use bath soap and lather your face with your hands. If that doesn't cause irritation, use the Williams puck like a bar of soap and do the same. Don't worry about shaving quality lather.

Proraso might be an easy cure if it's the Williams.

Barbasol and Gillette Foamy are traditional canned foams. Generally "goo" is used for gels in a can. Proraso also has a canned foam. Canned products are expensive to ship, but there is probably a shaving store in Las Vegas.

Assuming LV has a Burlington Coat Factory, they should have Proraso Cream and Foam.

The Proraso Red Foam works REALLY well, FWIW.

Thank you, and thanks to the others as well!

I am refining my technique with the Gillette Foamy and practice. I have worked on my strokes each night, the angle, the direction of travel, and realize I can get 6 shaves per blade. My face is smoother and more comfy each day!! Yet, even though I’ve tried the Williams several times, even without face lathering, I still find that for whatever reason there is an incompatibility with my body chemistry and no matter what I do, it dries my face and leaves an uncomfortable shave. It starts to lightly irritate as soon as it is applied. I’ve always had a bit of sensitivity to things like Ivory soap, so I’m not sure, but for now the Williams is set aside.

But just today, I took the advice of guitarslinger and went to the Burlington near my house, only 11 minutes away. This was perhaps the most unkept and ghetto Burlington’s I’ve ever been too. Lots of ratchet hoochie mamas and dirty messy aisles. After searching the store all over, I came across a ratty pile of green, red, and blue boxes... PRORASO HAD BEEN FOUND!!!

To my dismay, it seemed every box was crushed, but some careful digging through these wretched souls encovered a serviceable white box containing the “anti-irritazione” blend! I decided on that one vs the others as just in case. I was THRILLED to find the Proraso! This stuff is right at $10 from Amazon Prime, but it was just $4.99 at Burlington’s!

I shaved not long before I left on a whim, so will have to wait until my countenance regenerates whiskers to try the Proraso. In the meantime, I’ve expanded my drinking horizons and as chance would have it, created an Italian cocktail to-night known as the “Negroni”, and this created the perfect photo op:

proxy.php

I’ll let you all know how the Proraso goes tomorrow. I’ve found with my many varied hobbies, and life in general, stumbling blocks must be expected and to fully experience things one must overcome!! I take great pride in The burgeoning friendships of the fellow people I’ve met here, and do sincerely appreciate each and every comment and piece of advice I’ve received thus far.

Take care, gang! I’ll keep posting, and I’ll keep shaving, too! :001_smile

UPDATE:

The Proraso is working EXTREMELY well!!! No irritation and with practice I got an EXCELLENT lather!!! Think I found my new product, the Williams just wasn’t working at all.

UPDATE:

The Proraso is working EXTREMELY well!!! No irritation and with practice I got an EXCELLENT lather!!! Think I found my new product, the Williams just wasn’t working at all.
Glad to hear you're finding suitable products. I just hope it's not the "Negroni's" talking...
The Proraso "White" line also contains an after-shave balm for sensitive skin. If you experience post-shave dryness or tightness, you may want to consider it.

Top Bottom