What's new

New to roasting, awaiting new supply of beans

I just finished roasting my first lb. of green coffee this evening, I picked up a lb at the local roaster of my home town Spokane while i was visiting last month.

When I returned from vacationing I was able to find a hot air popper at good will (5.99 seems like GW is making a little too much, but was still better than paying retail for new), it had no lid so I also purchased a glass lamp shade that fit the popping chamber nicely, and when I roast i just cover the shade with a mesh colander to keep the jumping beans from leaving the chamber.

So far my experience has been with an unknown Sumatran. I usually go a few seconds past second crack, just before the beans begin to show glossy on the outside. I haven't been very scientific about attaining consistent results. I honestly don't have any idea how long the roast actually takes, but obviously the second batch gets done a little faster since the popper is already warm. (epiphany: warm up the popper first lol)

I've made an order to Sweet Maria's this evening and I ordered a 4 lb sampler plus I was curious to try an Ethiopian pulp natural process to see how much of the coffee cherry you can taste. I purchased a pour over while I was at it, and am excited to have another coffee gadget for the collection even though the wife will probably stand with her hands on her hips and ask me if I REALLY needed to have another way to make coffee.

Cuisinart 12 cup drip
french press
6 cup Moka Express
8 Cup Faberware stainless Percolator
Hario manual ceramic burr grinder
I honestly prefer the percolator most, but it takes a long time to make a pot and I usually consume 6 cups a day.

I'm just curious to hear any comments, recommendations, or shared experiences.

Marty

I'm a bit surprised at the perc pot preference; it doesn't exactly get a lot of love 'round coffee circles. Anyway, get ready to experiment and employ a lot of trial and error. I assume you've read up on roasting (the process, the goals, etc) at Sweet Maria's. The best advice I can give is:

1. Try coffee with a bit less roast on it. Maybe not Sumatra (FC+ is good there) but certainly that Ethiopia - get it through first crack, let it even out a little, and then cool it.
2. Let it rest. Really. AT LEAST 24 hours, 48 is better.
3. Brewing basics. Grind just before brewing, check your water temps, check your ratios, and experiment.
4. Have fun. This is supposed to be enjoyable!

A sure sign that you're down the path of no return is when you start modding your popcorn popper.

And yeah, Goodwill has become more pricy. All those new stores they've been building is my guess.

-jim

I'm a bit surprised at the perc pot preference

It's pretty simple, I can not smell, and therefore my sense of taste lacks the ability to distinguish subtleties. For this reason I also like Syrah's and Orange Tea's.

So with the perc I let it go 10-12 minutes instead of the more widely recommended 7. I'm quite certain the coffee is somewhat burnt because my wife claims it taste like campfire coffee even though the pot has never been exposed to the outdoors.

Interesting, sounds like you might enjoy darker roasts. I hope you don't mind me asking, but I am intrigued by your lack of sense of smell comment...when you drink the Cuisinart drip, do you like the coffee better or worse after sitting for an hour or two, or do you prefer it freshly brewed?

Been to the doctor and this is how it went down...

Found that I had inflamed, excessive tissue in and around my sinus cavity. This was made worse by bi-monthly sinus infections. Ultimately the inflamed excessive tissue was affecting the nerves up there and supposedly the nerves up there were causing more tissue swelling, so on and so forth.

At this time I couldn't even breath from my nose most days, surgery was called for. I went in for laser surgery to remove the excess tissue after the best nasal week of my life. Prior to surgery I was given

https://www.google.com/url?url=http...nisone&usg=AFQjCNH6ypYBwPn46cKqXelXciDw4sR3dQ

prednisone to reduce the swelling prior to surgery. It took about 4 days for a massive blood clot to pass through my mouth while I was choking on it, and for about two weeks I could smell every day. I could tell the sensation was fading, but i was confident and optimistic it would come back. It has been 5 years since and to be absolutely honest my sense of smell isn't completely lacking, but in order to experience it at all I LITERALLY have to have something that is absolutely repulsive, rotten and extremely pungent within a couple of inches from my nose for me to smell it. Even then I'm not sure that I am not just tasting vapors. It is true I can snort freshly ground coffee and not smell it.

I'm not sure I'm willing to go through another surgery for a minute chance of a doctor fixing this issue, if something was guaranteed I'd be all over it though.

So yes you are correct, I mostly like darker roasts, but can't stand most of the bagged stuff at the stores as it comes off being very acidic.

I'm not really certain how I would like 2 hr old drip coffee, I try not to subject myself to it out of principal but I'd be willing to give it a blind taste test.

My taste isn't bad if I take the time to roll something around and enjoy it, but I am aware that I'm missing a rather important part of the experience.

Top Bottom