What's new

New to Coffee, recommend me a pour over setup.

I get excellent results with either pourover or Aeropress coffee methods. I have 2 French Presses & they make mediocre (woody-tasting) coffee at best. If I need to scale weigh hand roasted and precision ground coffee, use a stopwatch & digital scale to make the French Press produce coffee rivaling that of my Pourover or Aeropress using store brand ready ground coffee, then it's time to toss the FP's at E-Bay & let some other sucker coffee snob in training ply his craft.

Fine. I've had Aeropress coffee and pour over. My french press blows both away. And I have a whole host of people who have been guests in my house who agree. But by all means, you stick with your plastic Aeropress and pour over. If you get woody tasting coffee from your french press, clearly you don't know how to use your french press. Or it's the water in Arizona. But you might want to pif it to someone who doesn't have one and wants to give it a shot.

My favorite non-pour-over pour 'into' is the Aeropress. I use the inverted method with a metal filter. It makes fantastic coffee. I've been using it for about a decade. Best coffee I make. With that said, I also love the Bonavita Porcelain Immersion Dripper:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
F6E65C79-598D-464A-8E4E-CD3E1ABA658C.jpeg
Okay @KeenDogg here is my cheap and cheerful pour over coffee starter. From the left, Small gooseneck pourer/kettle made by Avanti. Sold to me as a coffee pourer but I suspect an oil pourer. Works with either pouring the boiled water into it to then pour or heating up on the stove top. The problem with stove top heating is the handle heats up to hot to handle. Next is Harris No 2 coffee filters which fit the next item which is the filter holder/ground coffee holder. The coffee filter holder care from eBay for a couple of dollars from China. I don’t measure my coffee when making a cup. I just go with what I feel like at the time. Would listen to @Mick for more precise measurements as he knows coffee. Good luck.

Fine. I've had Aeropress coffee and pour over. My french press blows both away. And I have a whole host of people who have been guests in my house who agree. But by all means, you stick with your plastic Aeropress and pour over. If you get woody tasting coffee from your french press, clearly you don't know how to use your french press. Or it's the water in Arizona. But you might want to pif it to someone who doesn't have one and wants to give it a shot.
Yep - glad you're amenable to allowing people to pursue the brewing method serving them best & refraining from snotty comments.

Go with the Melitta #2 coffee cone in plastic or ceramic. Chemex and other setups require a little more skill because of the large hole in the center. A larger hole or multiple require a finer grind and faster pour. The Melitta only has one hole so it drains slower allowing a pretty good cup off of pre ground coffee. A chemex is going to require a finer grind hence you might need a decent grinder. The Melitta #2 is also great because it fits on top of most coffee mugs so you can brew a single cup at a time and is easy to clean up. Melitta pour over is also less finicky about the type of kettle you are using. Other methods require a more precise pour. I use an electric kettle that I got from Walmart a ceramic Bell works great. #2 filters are also very easy to find at most grocery stores.

Yep - glad you're amenable to allowing people to pursue the brewing method serving them best & refraining from snotty comments.

Snotty? All I did was mention making coffee using a french press. You came along and called me a sucker and a coffee snob. You need to check your negativity at the door before coming on this forum. Most of the members here are gentlemen. Your comments are unwarranted and unwanted.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Okay Gents. Let’s keep this thread on track please. @KeenDogg ask us a question about pour over coffee. Let’s respect each other’s personal preferences regarding how we like to brew our favourite hot beverage.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I see we have some passionate people here! I respect you all and thank you for the suggestions. I will report back when I am done deciding what to get! Now, go have a cup of coffee, my friends!

Kindly,
Adam

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Ok, I'm gonna get the Melitta no.2 (ceramic) with the Natural paper filters. I got a kettle with the thermometer picked also. I just need to get grinders sorted out. I think I want a burr grinder but want to stay under 100 dollars. Any suggestions?

I use a Melitta No. 2 ceramic cone that I ordered online from Melitta, but I'm using number 4 filters, even for a single large mug because they're easier to find at the store. I like using the ceramic, but sometimes the liquid wants to cling to the cone and drip to the side rather than straight down to the cup. Not usually, though.

For grinding, I use a Hario Skerton manual grinder, but it involves some time and effort. I'm sure there will be other suggestions.

I use a Melitta No. 2 ceramic cone that I ordered online from Melitta, but I'm using number 4 filters, even for a single large mug because they're easier to find at the store. I like using the ceramic, but sometimes the liquid wants to cling to the cone and drip to the side rather than straight down to the cup. Not usually, though.

For grinding, I use a Hario Skerton manual grinder, but it involves some time and effort. I'm sure there will be other suggestions.
for single cup pourover, totally go hand grinder. hario, porlex, kyocera...there's a ton of them out there that all do basically the same thing. If you're making more, i'd probably get an electric burr grinder.

I’ll third the hand grinder recommendation. Ive had the hario for years and it’s still going strong. The grind quality is as good as any electric grinder and it will probably last long, at the cost of some extra effort.

Ok, I'm gonna get the Melitta no.2 (ceramic) with the Natural paper filters. I got a kettle with the thermometer picked also. I just need to get grinders sorted out. I think I want a burr grinder but want to stay under 100 dollars. Any suggestions?
I don't use paper filters as some of the good coffee oils will stay there.
Going to let others recommend good grinders, as the inexpensive ones do not do a good job for fine grinding!

Top Bottom