What's new

New to Coffee, recommend me a pour over setup.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I think I want a burr grinder but want to stay under 100 dollars. Any suggestions?

Here's another vote for a Hario hand grinder. I've been quite happy with the Mini Slim, but I'm hearing all sorts of good things about the Skerton Pro. I have a hard time recommending the regular ol' Skerton, as it's kind of a pain to use and requires modification to get coarser grinds correct.

For the amount of coffee you're likely to be grinding, especially considering that you'll not be grinding too finely, a hnd grinder works just fine.

Here's another vote for a Hario hand grinder. I've been quite happy with the Mini Slim, but I'm hearing all sorts of good things about the Skerton Pro. I have a hard time recommending the regular ol' Skerton, as it's kind of a pain to use and requires modification to get coarser grinds correct.

For the amount of coffee you're likely to be grinding, especially considering that you'll not be grinding too finely, a hnd grinder works just fine.
the mini slim is excellent. i find the porlex mini gives a great grind but is really slippery in the hand. miss my old kyocera

Vacuum pots are really cool and do a great job. In the 1980's they were all over Japan where an expensive cup of coffee was already the norm. The pour-over seems to have usurped it as the upscale coffee shop method of choice.

I have one but don't use it much as it's not as convenient as other methods.
Really cool to watch though!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Vacuum pots are really cool and do a great job. In the 1980's they were all over Japan where an expensive cup of coffee was already the norm. The pour-over seems to have usurped it as the upscale coffee shop method of choice.

I have one but don't use it much as it's not as convenient as other methods.
Really cool to watch though!
The cool factor is why I want one. It would be like a science experiment every morning!

I thought I invented the "pour over" method. I had a Mr. Coffee drip coffee maker, and while I loved the coffee, it was never quite hot enough for me. (OK, I could have stuck the finished coffee in the microwave for 30 seconds, but that never occurred to me.) Anyway, I disassembled the Mr. Coffee and saved the top piece - the cone - and awkwardly put it over my mug using water I boiled in a teapot. I thought I was brilliant - until one day I saw the Melitta version hanging from a hook in the grocery store for about $4.

FarmerTan

I thought I invented the "pour over" method. I had a Mr. Coffee drip coffee maker, and while I loved the coffee, it was never quite hot enough for me. (OK, I could have stuck the finished coffee in the microwave for 30 seconds, but that never occurred to me.) Anyway, I disassembled the Mr. Coffee and saved the top piece - the cone - and awkwardly put it over my mug using water I boiled in a teapot. I thought I was brilliant - until one day I saw the Melitta version hanging from a hook in the grocery store for about $4.
I'd honestly never heard of pour over until about 6 months ago.

The cool factor is why I want one. It would be like a science experiment every morning!

Unless you have leisurely mornings, I wouldn't recommend it for daily use. You'll probably tire of it but it's cool to have one.

I got this one as you use it on the stove and do on the stove and don't need a burner but it doesn't look as cool as the ones with the burners.

I typically make cold brew, I live in Florida where it's hot more often then it's not plus I just prefer my beverages and food cold in general. I do however make hot fresh cups quite frequently using a hybrid pour over AND steep method. Temperature of water and how quickly you expose said water to your coffee can change the results with normal pour over methods and I've found this to be much easier and much more reliable/consistent:

I heat up filtered water in a stainless tea kettle until I just hear it start to boil then I kill the heat, I put a fine hole stainless tea 'basket' into my mug (usually 12oz) with a coffee filter and add about 1/2oz (14g, about two heaping spoonfulls) of ground coffee (I'm cheap but like a strong cup so I mix 2/3 Columbian with 1/3 espresso style), then slowly add the water until the mug is full (this takes a few runnings as the filter slowly drains) and the inside of the filter basket is full, and let this sit a couple mins before pulling the basket out and letting it drain.

It sounds like a lot but once you do it a few times and figure out your process you can do the above from start to finish in 5 minutes. The "basket" I use is a fancy tea strainer, you can also use a normal drain mesh thingy like I show in the last picture.

IMG_20200317_164210884.jpg

IMG_20200317_164217307.jpg

IMG_20200317_164238543.jpg

IMG_20200317_164312982.jpg

IMG_20200317_164357115.jpg

FarmerTan

Unless you have leisurely mornings, I wouldn't recommend it for daily use. You'll probably tire of it but it's cool to have one.

I got this one as you use it on the stove and do on the stove and don't need a burner but it doesn't look as cool as the ones with the burners.
I've been thinking of that one...

I've had a v60 02 setup for years that I use a lot on weekends. I've recently added a Hario switch 03 size that I use as my office setup. The switch took a little getting used to but I enjoy it now.

An old mug, a plastic #102 Melitta filter cone and some generic coffee filters that you can even cut to size if required, will make you the best coffee there is.

Initial investment is about 5 euro/USD. Been doing it like this since forever.

images.jpeg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
An old mug, a plastic #102 Melitta filter cone and some generic coffee filters that you can even cut to size if required, will make you the best coffee there is.

I add one more piece to that puzzle. I put the coffee in a 500ml measuring cup and pour on the water. Stir; let sit 5 minutes. Then pour into the filter.

O.H.

Top Bottom