What's new

New Supply single edge Pro

I just got mine today. My first impressions are that it has a nice weight to it, is very sleek, and feels very good in my hand. The adjustment dial has six main numbered settings as well as many tiny detents in between. I think it was something like 30 individual settings.

The little cover over the dial pops off easily using the tip of the injector key and fits back on snugly. This should make it easy enough to keep clean.

I also got the grip sleeve which slides on and fits snugly, providing a squishy, textured grip. I don't think I'll have an issue with the metal handle but this seems like it will be a nice option as well. Maybe people who shower shave will appreciate the extra grip.

I have already tried the Black Label blades and really like them but the plastic dispenser was too flimsy to work with my vintage injectors. I got around this by putting the blades in an empty metal one I had laying around. Since then, I have been wondering if the plastic worked well with their own razors. It turns out that yes, it does work just fine.

I'll be shaving with it tonight and will report back on shaving performance.

Image5332335272851164078.jpgImage5351616839732490411.jpgImage4117722752917188644.jpgImage3411482678051095789.jpgImage118298283889994864.jpg

After dropping off the radar on USPS tracking for an extra day, mine arrived today and I have already used it tonight.

Having already read reviews of the Black Label blades, I gambled on 3 additional packs due to the Kickstarter pricing. I also got the razor stand and am glad I did, it's heavy!

Shavo numero uno para migo:

With any new razor, I grab a credit card and check the blade exposure. With this adjustable, I am able to get it right where I want it; just barely catching. That is #4 and I can see using #5 next time.

Being experienced with injector, I know how to get the blade angle right for maximum effectiveness. With the Black Label blade, this thing is smooooth. So smooth that I don't think I can properly evaluate these blades on anything other than being sharp enough not to tug. They feel less likely to cause irritation than some Artist Club blades while still being sharper than, say, a Kai Pink Mild blade. They are probably closest to Prolines. In DE terms, they are probably closest to one of the Gillette Platinums. I don't know if they will be as smooth as vintage Plus Platinums, but I intend to figure that out!

The razor itself, loaded with blade, is exactly 90g. Under the expected weight and right at the top of my preferred range. It feels substantial compared to the vintage injectors I am familiar with, but in a good way. I won't go so far as to say that the weight helps it work because it doesn't feel like a heavy DE does, probably because of the handle angle. I will say it does feel slower, in a good way, than my vintage injectors. The grip sleeve is a pleasant surprise as it rounds out the rectangular feel of the handle and I prefer fat handles. I will be acquiring several spares as they are likely to get nasty and have to be cut off due to the tightness.

Shaving wise, it's an injector and doesn't do anything different due to the head design. Did I mention how tame this thing feels while clearly plowing right through tough thick patches of hair? I feel like I could do as many passes as I wanted, but don't have a need to. Going up to #5 on the first pass should reduce the amount of buffing necessary, but I think I can dial it back to #4 and leave it there for the rest of the shave. Maybe #3 if I have some previous irritation. #1 would be safe for body shaving, because it is negative, if you dare!

PS: The grip sleeve has shaping that allows it to sit very high, but I don't blame anybody for not getting it all the way up! I did because I am stubborn and like to grip higher up.

Mine came in yesterday. I’ll likely use it later today. I really hate the plastic dispenser. Very poor choice IMHO. Hoping the blades themselves are good, though I feel they’re overpriced.
Wish I had a B20 to compare to, but that can wait.
Jack

Razor: Supply Pro Adjustable Injector Razor
Blade: Supply Black Label Injector blades
Brush: Yaqi Panda in black & white tuxedo synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Fine American Blend
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Rose Petal
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

I'm not real good at describing things, but here goes. I am an injector shaver of many years and I also own and like the Supply V2.0. Unsurprisingly the shave angle is intuitive. I started on 2.5 and despite pleasant audible feedback, the shave wasn't as close as usual for the first pass so I clicked up to three. Much better on the rest of pass one and on pass two, but not quite there. On pass three I went with four and got about as close a shave as they come. Tomorrow I start out on four.

Pros:
Intuitive shave angle
Minimal blade feel
Well constucted
Very sleek in appearance
Cons:
The adjustment dial could be more positive. It's very easy to move the setting accidentally. I rinsed my razor off, dried it with a towel and the setting had moved. My Rex Ambassador does the same, so maybe not such a big deal.

The sleeve is nice, and unlike my matte black V2.0, this razor could be slippery when wet so it is a nice option. Some texture on the underside of the handle would render the sleeve unnecessary.

The blade reminds me of the vintage Feather injector blades of old. Maybe that is just in my mind. They seem pretty good, but the housing is not so good.
20220209_113927.jpg

This was my first shave with the Pro last night.

Pre-shave: Van Der Hagen Shave Butter
Lather: Noble Otter "Monarch"
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Razor: Supply Single Edge Pro (3, 3, 1, 6)
Blade: Supply Black Label (1)
Post-shave: Omega Alum Stick and Nivea Sensitive Balm

SOTD_2022-02-09.jpg

I don't normally go for black razors but I'm glad I did in this case. The matte finish is very sharp-looking. I find the shape pleasing, the handle length comfortable, and the weight in the hand satisfying. It feels like a quality product.

I also received one of the Pro Grip Sleeves which is made of what I assume is silicone. It slides onto the handle and provides a comfortable, somewhat squishy grip. It's not strictly necessary since the handle has enough texture to not be slippery. I think people who opted for the mirror finish would benefit more from the sleeve as would shower shavers.

Loading the Black Label blade was easy, even with the flexible plastic injector. I have already tried these blades with a few vintage razors but had to put them in a metal injector to be able to load them properly. The plastic key is just too flimsy for those razors. Fortunately, it works perfectly with the Pro.

The adjustment dial ranges from one to six with smaller adjustments in between. This allows for an almost ridiculous level of granularity for getting just the right shave. I opted to stick with whole numbers for this shave, starting at three for the first two passes, one for the third, and six for pick-ups. The adjustment range is very good, being very mild on the lower settings and quite efficient on the higher ones.

This was my first time using a Noble Otter soap, in this case, their Monarch variety. While I didn't love the fragrance, the performance was very good. I was able to whip up a substantial amount of lather with a small amount of soap. Slickness and post-shave feel were very good. The scent isn't offensive, just not my cup of tea.

I did end up with one small weeper during what was an otherwise great first shave. I think it's due to the weight of the razor being substantially more than I'm used to with an injector. I usually need to add just the slightest amount of pressure in certain areas but not so with this razor. Next time I will use a lighter touch.

Tried mine for the first time yesterday. At first I thought I was getting an exceptionally smooth shave, but I found out it wasn’t really cutting my beard at all. Apparently I had damaged the blade loading it. Damned plastic dispenser! Up until last year, I shaved exclusively with an injector for several years, so I’m no novice loading an injector blade.
I loaded a second blade, then started again. I wound up running the razor to three before I felt like I was getting acceptable results. Next time I’ll start with four. I’m not sure if this razor will make it into the keeper category, but itwill take a few more shaves before I decide. It does seem to be well made and is comfortable in hand.
Jacj

20220210_075341.jpg

Brush: Ever-Ready 250 Pure Badger Cased
Lather: Fine American Blend
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Additional Care:

I decided to start the shave at 3.5, but quickly moved to four. I went to 4.5 on the last pass and I think that is my spot, at least for now. I swear the angle of the head on this razor is better than my V2.
One bad thing. I am laying this aside for a few days so I gave it a thorough cleaning. I noticed that the setting wheel wouldn't stay where I put it. I am hoping it is just wet inside and will be back to normal after drying out.

I just went and shook mine vigorously and it's stable though it sounds like a box of rocks inside which is normal. I wanted to mention that I had a crooked blade in the dispenser, but I went ahead and loaded it anyway since these things are not cheap. While checking out my selector, I noticed a couple dents in the edge. Not huge, could have been from my beard, but unusual for only one shave. It's still getting used again, but I am not turning up the dial. I also noticed a paint defect around the opening of the plate where the dial sits in. I will probably inform them in about a month, but I am not sending it back. If they decide to send me another at a discount and keep this one as a spare, I would love that. But I would want one that is not first batch. So far, it appears that Supply is doing a better job than reported with the first two releases. I am genuinely shocked that they even had a razor to send to @Whiterook, that's great.

I just went and shook mine vigorously and it's stable though it sounds like a box of rocks inside which is normal. I wanted to mention that I had a crooked blade in the dispenser, but I went ahead and loaded it anyway since these things are not cheap. While checking out my selector, I noticed a couple dents in the edge. Not huge, could have been from my beard, but unusual for only one shave. It's still getting used again, but I am not turning up the dial. I also noticed a paint defect around the opening of the plate where the dial sits in. I will probably inform them in about a month, but I am not sending it back. If they decide to send me another at a discount and keep this one as a spare, I would love that. But I would want one that is not first batch. So far, it appears that Supply is doing a better job than reported with the first two releases. I am genuinely shocked that they even had a razor to send to @Whiterook, that's great.
Wait. Time out. Shaking the razor sounds like a box of rocks rattlin' inside? And that's normal, you say?

It's not normal in my experience of shaving daily since November 1951, on my 15th birthday, and I have about 75 DE, SE, and injector razors.

Ten of my razors are adjustables. I just went and shook each one vigorously. Silence. No rattling.

Wait. Time out. Shaking the razor sounds like a box of rocks rattlin' inside? And that's normal, you say?

It's not normal in my experience of shaving daily since November 1951, on my 15th birthday, and I have about 75 DE, SE, and injector razors.

Ten of my razors are adjustables. I just went and shook each one vigorously. Silence. No rattling.
I am glad you check for me, thanks. I am new to adjustables and figured that it was normal because I already shaved with it. It turns out it is the plate over the adjustment dial clinking against the body. There is nothing moving internally and as mentioned the dial doesn't "self select."

They probably kept a few back incase of qc issues.

Brush: Ocean Tortoise Shell Pure Bristle
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Aftershave: Proraso Green Splash
Additional Care:

This is the replacement razor and the adjustment wheel is more positive than my original. It looks like 4.5 is the setting for me using the Black Label blades. I am very happy with this razor!
20220215_084954.jpg

Top Bottom