What's new

New Supply single edge Pro

I'll tell you how 5 went. Much better. I think I am onto cracking the code. I think I'm going to roll with 6 tomorrow.

My first shave I did at 3 and realized that my chin was a bit cleaner than with the 5 today. So I cranked it down to 1 and did more ATG buffing. ATG at 5 is too likely to bite so I actually ended up with a less closer shave with a 3 the day before.

in other words single WTG with 5 gets me closer than a single WTG with 3, but follow each up with an ATG with keeping the blade set at the WTG setting and a two pass 3 beats a two pass 5.

So tomorrow, it's going to be a two pass. WTG 6, ATG 1.
Huh?

I vary the settings for the razor depending on WTG or ATG. If you are confused from what I said, please specify.
Brother Chandu,

I love adjustable razors, but as "a set it and leave it" guy it impressed me as being a bit complicated. Sometimes we shavers make things more complicated than they need to be. But if it works for you, wonderful.

As a coincidence the past few days I've been shaving with a Gillette Fat Boy, comparing "set it and leave it" at a moderate aggression of 5 for the three passes, to shaving with a setting of 5, 4, and 3 (WTG, XTG, and ATG).

My finding: There was no discernable difference in the closeness and the comfort of the shave, between "setting it and leaving it," and dialing down at each change of pass.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
This is the first and only adjustable I've ever head. My others I "adjusted" with slight angle or pressure changes (collective gasp!!!! - heard from the "NO PRESSURE Crowd).

With the Supply I'm finding I like far different settings for the WTG vs ATG. Could I leave it on one number and get a decent shave, I think so. But why?

This is the first and only adjustable I've ever head. My others I "adjusted" with slight angle or pressure changes (collective gasp!!!! - heard from the "NO PRESSURE Crowd).

With the Supply I'm finding I like far different settings for the WTG vs ATG. Could I leave it on one number and get a decent shave, I think so. But why?
Listen to your face. It will tell you what it prefers. Every face is different. Experimentation is fun, but after the answer is determined, further experimentation can become boring.

Then I was able to load blade 2 as is normal. So if this is par for the course, you are really buying a 7 pack, but paying for an 8 pack. So far after the white plastic injector pack and now this black one.... blades be damned I really like the actual steel loaders far better.
I believe the problem with the first blade was that at that time there was no blade on the razor. That issue would not recur on subsequent injector packs. Just my $0.02

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I believe the problem with the first blade was that at that time there was no blade on the razor. That issue would not recur on subsequent injector packs. Just my $0.02
Maybe. The mechanism was almost jammed it seemed. I didn't look that closely at the flade (fake blade) the razor ships with so it may be dimensionally different enough to cause the issue not sure.

It shaves well.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It looks like several of you own the Blackland Vector and/or the RazoRock Hawk V3 AC razors. I have the Executive Shaving Co. Claymore Evolution.

So, my question: how is the Supply Pro around your nose and upper lip and does it compare to the thinner head AC razors out there? The head design looks a little boxy to me but that's just a first, visual impression. The general opinion seems to be very favorable for the Supply Pro, so I'm guessing this isn't an issue but I'd like to know the specifics.

Any comments would be welcome.

My Vector and my Hawk SS V3 razors belong to the best I have, they provide me usually perfect shaves without any irritations. But I use them with guarded blades, not ProGuard but Feather SoftGuard or Kai ProTouch. I also own the Claymore Evolution from ES but it is not same effective on my skin like the last mentioned razors.

With Injector blades I have problems since ever, so I might be not the right one to answer your question. However, I also own the new Supply SE Pro but I find it a bit difficult to use. Maybe it's lack of usage or I am too stupid for it. I cannot compare it with Vector or Hawk (with SoftGuard / ProTouch).

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My Vector and my Hawk SS V3 razors belong to the best I have, they provide me usually perfect shaves without any irritations. But I use them with guarded blades, not ProGuard but Feather SoftGuard or Kai ProTouch. I also own the Claymore Evolution from ES but it is not same effective on my skin like the last mentioned razors.

With Injector blades I have problems since ever, so I might be not the right one to answer your question. However, I also own the new Supply SE Pro but I find it a bit difficult to use. Maybe it's lack of usage or I am too stupid for it. I cannot compare it with Vector or Hawk (with SoftGuard / ProTouch).
Could you clarify for me in reference to the Claymore Evolution: it is not the same effective on my skin. Do you mean it's less efficient or less aggressive? I understand you rate it lower on your scale for best shaves vs. the Vector and Hawk V3. I don't quite understand why.

On my skin and with my handling the Claymore is less effective with the same kind of blades, but maybe same aggressive than the other two mentioned. It needs more polish at the end and the result is not so good as with Vector or Hawk. I guess the geometry is different that's why. Sorry for my bad explanations. I hope everything is clear now. For you it could be different of course.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
On my skin and with my handling the Claymore is less effective with the same kind of blades, but maybe same aggressive than the other two mentioned. It needs more polish at the end and the result is not so good as with Vector or Hawk. I guess the geometry is different that's why. Sorry for my bad explanations. I hope everything is clear now. For you it could be different of course.
It was early here when I read your post... so the confusion was more on my part than your communication skills. I'm getting good results, personally, so I doubt I'll ever know if the other two would be better performers for me. I could have chosen the polished version but was told, the polishes Claymore Evo is more prone to surface scratches when used.

People do rave about their Vectors... both SS and Titanium. That says a lot. Add to that... you very seldom see them for sale.. another high mark for the Vector. It may seem silly, but the main reason I chose the Claymore Evo over the RR Hawk V3 is the angle of the head to the handle. The Hawk V3 sort of swoops down toward the handle... like a hawk. ;) In practice, I'm sure I'd just adjust but being a newbie, I thought the right angle (90 Deg) of the head to the handle would make shaving under my nose easier. That and I really liked my interfaces with the Executive Shaving Co. I was buying from a person more than a company, if that makes sense.

I received mine yesterday and had the same blade loading experience. There was no blank blade in the razor and the first one loaded crookedly. The second one loaded behind it was straight.

Yesterday was first shave, at setting 1 - very comfortable and leaving not stubble. Today I advanced to setting 2 - still very comfortable and pretty much extremely close. I expect that is where I have found the sweet spot.

Just finished my 6th shave with the Japan Black blades. I have two other other injectors and have used many other DE, SE, and Shavettes. (I still have several in my rotation). I'm ready to say the Supply Pro is my new "if I could only use one razor this would be it." I have a fairly course, dense beard that grows quickly. I've shaved with growth from 3-4 days. My shaves ranged from excellent to fantastic. Consistently smooth, comfortable, error free and close, with a nice balance of ease and skill needed. A few observations.

• I got the matte black. And its a beauty. Very unique looking. Heavy but felt great in the hand The matte gives it nice feel and I got a good grip even with sudsy hands
  • This razor is heavy! Well balanced but heavy. Really allows you to use very light pressure and let the weight of the razor brush off your stubble. Use the grip suggested by Supply co. It works.
  • Angle: Very intuitive - just put the logo on your face. This range is narrow, but so easy to find.
  • Technique. Using a very light touch and finding the right angle are important. Took me a few strokes to get it right. But this is not a razor that will punish you for small errors.
  • Adjustable: Very wide range. I went to 5 once and it waste sharp for me. But 4-4.5 was very comfortable for a first pass. 3 is great for XTG or a first pass with less than 2 days growth. And 1-2 make for an easy ATG. My only really beef is that the adjustable dial. It's very heard to see the see the setting on the Matte black. And hard to adjust on the fly with wet hands. If you're a set it and forget it bloke, this won't be a problem. But I like to adjust on the fly. Not a deal killer but I wish these problems didn't exist.
  • Bottom line. I was shocked how consistently comfortable these shaves were, every time and with every pass regardless of days of growth. And the shave were very close and long lasting. I probably like the Feather AS-D2 better for 2 days or less growth (nothing has that glide feeling like the AS-D2. But the Supply pro does a great job all lengths, is closer, and is less dependent on a short blade. I like variety but I'd be tempted to ditch my other other razors and just use this.

I just got the email yesterday that the replacement doors are available for those of us with rattly early razors. My matte black, miss it, was replaced for another reason with a polished which is probably better for my water here, so I have no need for a replacement door myself. I have been meaning to post that I have been using mine more lately and I still have blade shift with yellow package Schick blades. I have had the blade wiggle out far enough that I almost got cut a few times now. At this point, it's clear to me that my earlier theory that they had designed these razors around their new blades is correct. I will need to check after I finish off this blade, but I don't remember this being a problem with the Black Label blades which is why it surprised me when it happened. It's a bummer because I really like this combination and probably won't use the razor as often again. To their credit, I am pretty sure Supply would replace it again.

I got my razor as part of the Kickstarter, but it has no rattle. I ordered the replacement cover anyway, just in case. I decided to try their shaving cream while I was at it.

Top Bottom