What's new

New straight razor manufacturer in the US

Agreed with all. I was very excited to read the original post. Love the made in the USA concept. But then I read the price at the end and my high hopes were dashed. Quite frankly, its not even a mirror polish, theres no way I'm spending $240 for that. I'd rather spend $100-$200 more and get a custom razor. Price needs to drop $100 for it to be affordable. Otherwise, its a mid point between high end production and low end custom. Not entirely sure there is a void to be filled there. I wish them success, but I cannot justify the price with my pocketbook.

+1 that about says is all for me

I dont know how he couldn't be tied to Hart. The first time I saw the pic I said to myself, "A non-damascus Zowada?" :tongue:

+1

I thought the new Hart looks like a TZ custom myself .

Clearly some scandal is taking place with this new razor . T Zowada putting out such a firm stance about him aledgedly not making them for Hart .

Looks like a TZ razor . TZ is the PM on the project . Also trains everyone at Hart who makes them . But .......... it's not a TZ razor .......... ok . :confused:

Well I'm tired of this thread . Carry on fellas .

cityjim

So a good friend (Lynn) sent me his Hart razor to try out still with the factory honing on it, just a few laps on .50 CrOx to smooth it down is what he told me...

First impressions, I have a few Black Rifles this is a Black Razor,, totally for use, no pretty at all...
Measured out to 14.267 for the bare steel angle
The blade has a slight smile to it however it is not even, there is a very, very, slight center spot if it were mine my OCD would kick in...

Nice even bevel, nice sharp edge....
The first shave was last night, I took my time and relaxed, the razor performed exactly as I would expect from a 1/4 hollow, a nice clean no nonsense shave 3 passes WTG XTG and ATG same amount of irritation as any other stiff blade for me....

Looking close at the grind shows a very slight imbalance between sides not bad though, the finish is straight off a buffer or looks that way, might be off a grinder belt too, looks to me to be about the same as a 400 grit greaseless compound finsh...
The spine thickness is dead even BTW I measured it.. The tang could use some special work from Seraphim, in fact my first impression was Double Arrow, no fuss, no muss shavers...

So those are my impressions of the razor, a very utilitarian razor,,

BTW what is wrong with peened pins???? do you custom/small company guys really think we like having to tighten our razors everyday???? JMHO those TORX screws etc: suck for razors, they are either to tight, or to loose, and honestly do any of you guys really take your razor apart to clean it???

Last edited:
Thanks for that report Glen. To be honest, the only time I've ever jacked with the torx screw has been to tighten up my blade that has loosened. I'd rather have peened pins from a practical standpoint.

So... I'm curious if this is going to be perceived as negative commentary because you didn't buy the razor eventhough you have first hand experience with it... Hmmm..

Last edited:
Thanks for that report Glen. To be honest, the only time I've ever jacked with the torx screw has been to tighten up my blade that has loosened. I'd rather have peeked pins from a practical standpoint.

So... I'm curious if this is going to be perceived as negative commentary because you didn't buy the razor eventhough you have first hand experience with it... Hmmm..

Since I didn't buy the razor I was really trying for as un-biased as possible, on my write up.. so I agree it will be interesting to see how it is perceived

Glen, I perceive it as a no frills razor that has some slight but acceptable imperfections that will give a good shave. The price point makes that unacceptable though IMO. I liked your review. It came across unbiased but honest.

Last edited:
I got my Hart a few weeks ago and was very impressed with the edge - it was amazingly sharp, even without any initial stropping on my part. The first three shaves were very impressive, but the fourth was a disaster - the edge was completely gone and there was also some corrosion visible on one side of the blade. I was puzzled by this, because I usually oil each razor right after use. I think I have solved the problem: I found that the Hart leather pouch acts as a sponge and will soak up water from the counter (always a lot when I shave). I found that the inside of the pouch was damp to touch, even though I had dried the razor before inserting it. The pouch had soaked up water and transmitted it to the interior, which caused the blade to be exposed to excessive humidity. I have noticed other Hart owners complain that theirs had a rapid deterioration in edge quality and wonder if the issue is the leather pouch rather than the blade itself.

I got my Hart a few weeks ago and was very impressed with the edge - it was amazingly sharp, even without any initial stropping on my part. The first three shaves were very impressive, but the fourth was a disaster - the edge was completely gone and there was also some corrosion visible on one side of the blade. I was puzzled by this, because I usually oil each razor right after use. I think I have solved the problem: I found that the Hart leather pouch acts as a sponge and will soak up water from the counter (always a lot when I shave). I found that the inside of the pouch was damp to touch, even though I had dried the razor before inserting it. The pouch had soaked up water and transmitted it to the interior, which caused the blade to be exposed to excessive humidity. I have noticed other Hart owners complain that theirs had a rapid deterioration in edge quality and wonder if the issue is the leather pouch rather than the blade itself.

O1 corrodes quickly and should be stored dry, oiled or not.

I'd use the pouch for long term storage or travel, not for storing the razor between shaves as it can/will get damp.

Sverre

You may want to contact Classic Shaving about this. That is advertised as a water resistant pouch... That sucks! :frown:

You may want to contact Classic Shaving about this. That is advertised as a water resistant pouch... That sucks! :frown:

IDK. Water resistant means if it gets splashed, it won't be ruined. In this case, it almost sounds like the pouch needed to be water proof. The proof part being protection against leaving the pouch lying in a small pool of water (i.e. in direct contact with the water for an extended period of time, not just having been splashed and moved out of harms way).

It's all semantics though. I bet if one were to put one of those fancy TI pouches in a similar situation, the result may not be pretty either. I think the pouch is the only part of the razor that no one has any complaints about...

It's also a laugh riot how many people are lining up to get a crack at that free razor right now in the contests. Some folks must want them :lol:.

I never store a razor in a confined space till it has been dried, oiled and left out for 24 hours. I dry it by running very hot water on the blade, wipe it dry, blow out the scales, oil it with Billistol, which displaces water, after every shave no matter what razor I am using. For me, there are no exceptions. It takes allmost no extra time since I let it dry open while I am cleaning up the bowls and brush that I have used. Even if you have a razor that does not rust easily oil will protect the delicate edge against oxidation and thus give you more shaves between honings.

Take Care,
Richard

I would imagine the water may have come in with teh razor itself. The outside of the leathermay well be water proof, but the swuede interior most liekly is not water proof, and can easily soak up any drops that were inadvertantly left of the razor/scales.

I am definitely up for winning a new Hart but I am not up for paying $250. My prefered blade is a 6/8" 1/4 hollow so this baby is right in my wheelhouse. At this price point I don't just want go, I want some show too.

But hey, Who doesn't love free stuff?

I have noticed other Hart owners complain that theirs had a rapid deterioration in edge quality and wonder if the issue is the leather pouch rather than the blade itself.

I stored mine in the box, not the pouch, so I'm sure that wasn't the cause of my problems.

Leather tends to absorb moisture from the air and can hold it against the steel. Even heavily oiled leather does this, though leather that has been saturated with silicone isn't as bad. No idea how the Hart pouch has been treated, but I haven't had any problems so far with my TI pouches.

Most knife makers advice non stainless knives to be store out of their leather sheaths to prevent corrosion.

Leather usually contains some moisture and carbon steel likes dry and oily:wink2:

I don't mean to sound negative or confrontational, but what will contacting CS accomplish?

I don't think they will do anything, I know I wouldn't if I were them. This is just a simple mistake by the user that can easily be recitfied with a fresh bevel setting and honing. I think we all have slipped up with regards to our razors, at one time or another. I see no difference in this incident than if he had rolled the edge while stropping. User error.

Last edited:
I don't mean to sound negative or confrontational, but what will contacting CS accomplish?

I don't think they will do anything, I know I wouldn't if I were them. This is just a simple mistake by the user that can easily be recitfied with a fresh bevel setting and honing. I think we all have slipped up with regards to our razors, at one time or another. I see no difference in this incident than if he had rolled the edge while stropping. User error.

Ok. I didn't see in the post that he left the blade wet or let the pouch soak in a puddle of water. If he did, then I agree with you but why would we expect that a guy would spend $240 on a razor & do that? I could imagine him leaving it in a couple of drops of water, but not anything that a water resistent pouch shouldn't be able to handle... But if he did, I'd agree with you. Also, I knew by reading the first line of your post that you were about to be argumentative :tongue:

edit: I reread the post & I can see where you are coming from, but I still would not expect a guy to leave the pouch in a puddle that would penetrate a water resistant pouch as was described. Furthermore, water resistant pouches shouldn't act like a sponge, and if this the normal behavior of all leather pouches, it would be best not to describe them as water resistent, IMO. Also, 4th shave edge deterioration may be indicative of another problem instead of the water in the pouch

Last edited:
It is common sense that you should not leave a leather pouch in a puddle of water and expect it to stay dry. I would go as far as saying it is a very foolish error to make. But, hey, none of us are infalible to making foolish mistakes...we live and learn.

I do however, think it is even more foolish to attempt to blame the vendor in this instance. It is common sense to realise that a puddle of water will likely be well beyond the water resistant tolerances of a leather pouch.

If were to leave a 'stainless steel' razor fully exposed outside in the rain for a few weeks, should i be suprised that this razor stamped 'stainless', and descirbed by the vendor as 'stainless', turns out be pretty prone to staining? Should really contact the vendor and demand that he stops descibing these blades as 'stainless'? No that would be foolish.

Top Bottom