What's new

New straight razor manufacturer in the US

Ian,

I may be wrong, but I think most of the "distancing himself" comments came from this quote:

There have been a few custom razor makers in the US in recent times, but now we have a production razor. Classic Shaving have announced their new line of straight razors, sold under the Hart Steel name. These are made in conjunction with one of the most respected custom manufacturers of straight razors and knives in the USA, who has trained his co-workers in the arts of razor grinding and honing. Imagine that! - the razor grinder rises again! It might seem strange that I am not naming the custom maker involved, but I have been asked no to do so.

Which came from the OP linked to in the OP of this thread.

Thanks for posting, Tim!

Yeah, all kinds of interpretations had been imposed on that brief comment of yours, everything from "this is a good way to (wink wink) get an inexpensive 'Zowada' razor" right up to "Tim is trying to distance himself from this project ... he must be ashamed of it or something!"

... neither of which, of course, is correct.

Anyhow, good luck with this project ... you and your AT's. Doubtless you've read the comments in this thread, so you have lots of suggestions to take back to the workbench/team/planning sessions. It's so encouraging to see an increase in razor manufacturers, after over a century of firm after firm closing or stopping production.

All the best!

Ian,

I may be wrong, but I think most of the "distancing himself" comments came from this quote:

Which came from the OP linked to in the OP of this thread.

I think that was a perfectly fair reading of what was said, and I do not see anything nefarious about about TZ distancing himself from the project. Could be any number of reasons for that. Might not want Hart sales cannibalizing his custom sales. Hart might now be pying him enough so that he wants to put is reputation in the mix. Maybe his involvement at the time was not of the level it is now or he did not know what it woudl be going forward.

But, now, 8 months pretty much full time working on this project, I can see where he would be more at ease an more likely to lend his name to it!! And 8 months full time makes his involvement mean more to me.

Bottom line, nothing concerning about what TZ has said and done and nothing disparaging or inacurate about other folks speculations as to what it means.!

Well, I don't know about you guys, but the way I read it is this:

TZ doesn't want people to think the Hart project is going to impact his custom razor/knife business, nor does he want people to think the Hart razor is a substitute for one of his custom razors.

Both are true as far as I know. And I think TZ's post confirms this.

But, attaching one's name to a project will invariably make all sorts of rumors. Unfortunately for TZ, the OP I linked to pretty much spelled out Tim Zowada as the project manager, so Tim basically had to write something to clear things up.

I interpreted the response to mean that he was the project manager, same was as an overseer oversees the project and makes sure everything is being done to spec. He does not actually grind the blades or sharpen them. But he does make sure all the managerial aspects are taken care of. Such as training & QC & R&D.

As such, I see no discrepancies between his old posts and his new ones. They are completely consistent. He's the team leader, and does none of the grunt work, so you/we are not buying a TZ razor. But, we are buying a TZ project manager razor. Maybe it was designed by him. But either case, its not a TZ custom and we shouldn't expect or associate these with those.

Party Pooper!

lol, I don't mean stop discussing the razor...:pirate:

I'll say one thing, I'm surprised to hear that very many folk where approached when the project was getting started and supplied with prototypes; no one else besides Dr. Moss (that I'm aware) posted an opinion, even after production started.

Maybe there was confusion as to what could and could not be said, but still.

Paul, my analysis of Lou's suggestion is that it isn't necessarily too late, especially out here on the west coast. :wink2:

Well, the only reason that I quoted that OP was because people (you and him unless I'm mistaken) were going back to what Tim said in that other thread for why people thought Tim was "shying away" from the project, and I merely pointed out that his involvement was specifically requested to be omitted, and that may have more to do with it than anything else. I apologize to the forum and all gentleman everywhere for bringing that to everyone's attention.

I'll refrain from analyzing the analysis anymore.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Are we analyzing the analysis of the analysis now? :lol:

Actually, I think we've moved on to analyzing the analysis of the synopsis of the analysis of the analysis of the synthesis of three different analyses.

And you know that I know that you know that I know that you know that ...

Glad that someone in the states is working hard to get a company established, but at $240, they aren't going to get very many hits when really good quality used blades can be had for less than that.

Glad that someone in the states is working hard to get a company established, but at $240, they aren't going to get very many hits when really good quality used blades can be had for less than that.

Sorry, everyone, this is off topic, but I have to know where you live, Sir. I've been living in Texas virtually my whole life & I've yet to meet a Witty Aggie. We've got to get together some time :w00t:

Obviously, I'm just kidding. But there is a B&B get together in Tyler on November 7th, if your interested. It should be be a hoot. There's a thread on it called east Texas meeting. I'd link you but I'm on my phone right now.

Ok. Back to Hart, sorry for the interruption.

Last edited:
I'm somewhere between witty and a smartass, so take it for what it's worth. My dry sense of humor definitely shines through, even when its not wanted, hehe.

It is interesting that he was the one that responded over at SRP. I was under the assumption (incorrectly I know) that he had distanced himself from this, and didn't want his reputation tied to this venture.

Or does this represent a change in terms of him being much more vested in this than we were lead to believe in that thread linked in the OP here :confused:

I dont know how he couldn't be tied to Hart. The first time I saw the pic I said to myself, "A non-damascus Zowada?" :tongue:

Top Bottom