What's new

New Slant

Well, I will have to take back everything I said or thought about the slant razor. I know there have been more than a few topics about the slant and how it works, but I have successfully avoided using one. My normal technique involves somewhat of an angle on most strokes anyway, and I was afraid adding even more of an angle would create more of a slice than a stroke. Besides, I was getting very good shaves consistently using the normal razors in my stable; I don't rotate razors very much, mainly I use an EJ fixed head, a HD Gillette adjustable, and a NEW.

I probably would never have bought a slant, but I did get one as a gift, so felt obligated to use it and at least report to the giver that I had used and did appreciate the thought. I was a little tentative for the first shave, having heard that the slants can have a mean temper if not handled carefully, and was very conscious of the built-in angle. I shouldn't have worried. Turns out the angle in my technique was much less than that of the slant and made no difference in the use of the razor. The "slicing" effect (God, I hate that word when discussing shaving) was profound and provides an extremely smooth shave, much like a straight. The first pass was about as clean as any razor I have ever used, and a two-pass shave is plenty good enought for a daily shave. One WTG and one XTG and some minor touch-ups is damn near BBS. I got the same results from creams and soaps. For the first several shaves I used a Derby blade, then changed to my normal Feather, and the shaves moved up a notch. I will have to admit that the design of a slant is a major improvement in the function of a DE.

Having said that, it is defiinitely not something for the new DE user. It is an agressive razor, and I kind of think that the increased blade exposure on one end of the blade may have about as much to do with giving a close shave as does the built-in angle. Your technique really has to be down pat, and it does take a very light touch. I will be interested to see how guys like the new Merkur HD slant; it may be a challenge to keep the light pressure needed. I have been using the slant for about two weeks now, and it will be my primary DE; it just gives too good a shave. It will bite you if you are not paying attention, particularly in the awkward spots under the chin and on the neck, so it does require some changes in technique.

If someone is going to use one of these, he should really be comfortable with his current technique and angles and pressure used. It will take some changes, and the first couple of shaves probably won't be representative of the ultimate results. For the guys who have been saying all along how good a shave these can give, well you were right.

Quality products might cost a little more,
turning a chore into a pleasurable experience, priceless

My results with the Slant were good, but not a big deal. I got better results, with fewer passes, with my trusty Aristocrat this morning. I think this is really the heart of the matter in using a DE. Technique is everything. A razor that works well for someone may only be mediocre, or worse, for another.

All this said, I like the slant, but see no reason to go the 39c route.

I agree with everything here: the slant is a fabulous razor.

The one thing that I am convinced turns people off the slant is that if you don't load the blade properly, it will irritate, and it will easily nick you. If the blade is loaded properly, you'll be on your way to falling in love with the razor.

The blade alignment can be easily checked by looking at the head from a bird's eye point of view to make sure that the edges of the blade are aligned square. It's easy to load a blade so that it sits sort of diagonal with one corner of the blade sticking out further than the one on the opposite side. Do that and you'll other.

I understand that some slants have tighter tolerances than others and that some guys just load the blade without looking and they get it right every time. I've used two different slants and both had to be aligned.

Well, I will have to take back everything I said or thought about the slant razor. I know there have been more than a few topics about the slant and how it works, but I have successfully avoided using one. My normal technique involves somewhat of an angle on most strokes anyway, and I was afraid adding even more of an angle would create more of a slice than a stroke. Besides, I was getting very good shaves consistently using the normal razors in my stable; I don't rotate razors very much, mainly I use an EJ fixed head, a HD Gillette adjustable, and a NEW.

I probably would never have bought a slant, but I did get one as a gift, so felt obligated to use it and at least report to the giver that I had used and did appreciate the thought. I was a little tentative for the first shave, having heard that the slants can have a mean temper if not handled carefully, and was very conscious of the built-in angle. I shouldn't have worried. Turns out the angle in my technique was much less than that of the slant and made no difference in the use of the razor. The "slicing" effect (God, I hate that word when discussing shaving) was profound and provides an extremely smooth shave, much like a straight. The first pass was about as clean as any razor I have ever used, and a two-pass shave is plenty good enought for a daily shave. One WTG and one XTG and some minor touch-ups is damn near BBS. I got the same results from creams and soaps. For the first several shaves I used a Derby blade, then changed to my normal Feather, and the shaves moved up a notch. I will have to admit that the design of a slant is a major improvement in the function of a DE.

Having said that, it is defiinitely not something for the new DE user. It is an agressive razor, and I kind of think that the increased blade exposure on one end of the blade may have about as much to do with giving a close shave as does the built-in angle. Your technique really has to be down pat, and it does take a very light touch. I will be interested to see how guys like the new Merkur HD slant; it may be a challenge to keep the light pressure needed. I have been using the slant for about two weeks now, and it will be my primary DE; it just gives too good a shave. It will bite you if you are not paying attention, particularly in the awkward spots under the chin and on the neck, so it does require some changes in technique.

If someone is going to use one of these, he should really be comfortable with his current technique and angles and pressure used. It will take some changes, and the first couple of shaves probably won't be representative of the ultimate results. For the guys who have been saying all along how good a shave these can give, well you were right.

Quality products might cost a little more,
turning a chore into a pleasurable experience, priceless

+1 on the slant. I thought I was happy with my Vision until I used the Slant. Still enjoy the Vision but will more frequently pick up the slant.

I agree with Ontario. It is good to eyeball the blade exposure and if necessary use thumb and forefinger on the ends of the blade to make any corrections needed to the blade alignment.

The standard Slant was my favorite safety razor until the 39C Slant hammer came along. Now it is in second place. :smile: Good technique is even more important with the 39C IMO. The added weight and leverage of the longer handle give me a better shave but make it easier to get razor burn or nicks if I am not careful. YMMV.

Ontario and Jimmy are exactly right about the blade alignment. I must have accidentally gotten the blade properly aligned a couple of times, but the last time I changed blades I actually looked and the blade was noticeably off. It didn't take much to move the blade around to make sure it was equally exposed the length of the blade then tighten the head down. A misaligned blade probably explains the couple of small nicks I got; a properly aligned blade does make a difference in the shave. I don't think this is a quality problem with Merkur, the design of the head just requires the proper seating of a blade.

I still am looking forward to seeing some detailed reviews of the Barberpole Slant to see how it compares, I would guess Jimmy's observation about having to pay attention to technique is spot on.

Thanks to everyone about the tips on blade alignment.

BobS

Top Bottom