What's new

New Project Idea: 3D Print a Brush Handle!

http://www.economist.com/node/21552892 might interest anyone who is curious about additive manufacturing. This quote made me think of brush handles:

3D Systems, which produces a variety of prototyping and industrial machines, is now launching a consumer range of small 3D printers, called the Cube, which can make things like toys, chess pieces and ornaments. They have been developed along with an online platform called Cubify to provide services for a community of users. Priced at $1,299, the Cube prints by depositing a thin layer of material from cartridges, which come in different colours. This cures as a hard plastic. They can produce parts up to 5.5 inches (140mm) cubed at a typical cost in materials of about $3.50. The quality is not up to that of industrial printers, but it is good enough for many people. Higher-quality creations can be uploaded to Cubify’s online printing service.

By way of comparison, a Simpson Colonel handle is 54-mm high and has a smaller diameter. Discounting the $3.50 number as marketing, let us say $5 in materials per handle. Penworks handles seem to run about $15-20 each, so we might naively guess that the break-even point for buying a cheap 3D printer would be somewhere around 100-200 handles. That does not include hand-finishing costs, and I understand that can be very important to the final product.

So it will be some time before this kind of thing eclipses lathe-turning and injection molding, if it ever does. But under the right circumstances it already makes sense for some hobbyists, and 3D printing as a service might end up closer to $10-$15 per handle.

Edit: http://cubify.com/store/model_list.aspx looks interesting. Peter, do you think it would be possible to upload your design and make it available there, with a buck or three for yourself? http://cubify.com/info/faq/faq.aspx#cubifyartist might help.

Last edited:
Lower end 3D printers are definitely starting to become affordable. I've heard of people who have bought printers just for personal use, and will make and sell parts for people on ebay. I doubt 3D printing will ever match the cost of a mass produced handle, but it certainly gives you the added ability of customization. Stamping my initials into the bottom took me about 2 minutes. Other shapes and designs could be added in almost no time. One downside i forsee though, is that a 3D printed handle doesn't have that "classic" feel of a well made wooden handle. That being said, you could make stands that are customized to fit a customer's brush and razor with almost no effort.

Sure, I'd be happy to. I was also planning on uploading it to Thingiverse, another great source for 3D printing projects. I was just waiting for the knot to show up to make sure the dimensions weren't way off. The files get uploaded in a format that I dont think can be edited though, so it will only be able to be used with knots of similar dimensions to the one I'm getting. I could also upload a second file without the knot hole, or at least a smaller one, so people with the ability can drill it out themselves, if that would be of interest.

Also, you could take the part over to ShapeWays. They can do 3D printing in a wide variety of materials, from plastic to ceramic to metal. I've never actually used them, but it would certainly be interesting to see how the parts would compare

Last edited:
Wow that turned out sweet. I would leave the ridges in it. If you ask them I think they can change how thin the line of material the printer lays down, finer ridges is what I am getting at. I think it looks nice the way it is though.

Wow, thats pretty amazing! I know theres a growing community of people who build their own 3D printers; i know a guy who is making his own and hes put in about that much money already. And i think thats on the low end too. For $350, and without the need to assemble it? I actually want to get one myself now!

I had no idea until I started reading up on this stuff that idea of open source had entered into the realm of mechanical things. The maker of the $300 unit began by making his own from public domain plans. He plans to put his into the public domain after making his money off it too. In his blog he writes that he thinks open source is the path to a stronger product in the end.

To clarify his product does require some assembly, but his team pre-assembles the diffcult pieces.

I don't know if I'd ever use one for, let's say, production shaving brush handles but for prototyping it's a no-brainer! For example I paid a lady $400 to make a sculpture of a soap puck from which to make molds but with this machine I could have done that part myself.

Great news, the knot came in and I have it assembled!

$photo 1.jpg$photo 2.jpg$photo 4.jpg

The hole ended up being a little tight, so i ended up having to widen it a bit with a dremel tool. The epoxy takes 24 hours to fully cure, which is killing me!

I was just wondering, is the spread of the bristles normal? Compared to the Tweezerman one i've been using, they seem very compacted, but it is much closer to the old fashion ones my grandma used to use to dust her furniture (poor brushes)

Last edited:
Definitely, you can make almost anything you put your mind to; you just have to be willing to spend a bit of time and effort designing it. The handle I designed took only a few minutes to make, because its only a squiggly line (is that really where the technical term spline came from?) spun in a circle. Anything based off of simple shapes is pretty easy to do once you get the hang of your program. A skull would require a lot of detailed crafting i would think, but could look really cool when your done

Actually, now that i say that, there are some pretty easy ways to cheat. A lot of times you can find models online that you can download and edit. For example, here is a page of someone who printed out a skull from a CT scan. They link to the SketchUp file they used. If you download Google Sketchup and the file, you could probably scale it down to a workable size!

Last edited:
Definitely, you can make almost anything you put your mind to; you just have to be willing to spend a bit of time and effort designing it. The handle I designed took only a few minutes to make, because its only a squiggly line (is that really where the technical term spline came from?) spun in a circle. Anything based off of simple shapes is pretty easy to do once you get the hang of your program. A skull would require a lot of detailed crafting i would think, but could look really cool when your done

Um, just go ahead and let me know when you get it done. Black or grey, please. Seriously, though, that might be fun to look into. I have a good friend who is a designer for a major computer company, I will talk to him. Thanks.

I was just wondering, is the spread of the bristles normal? Compared to the Tweezerman one i've been using, they seem very compacted, but it is much closer to the old fashion ones my grandma used to use to dust her furniture (poor brushes)

It Will bloom nicely when you use it a few times. Whats the loft?

Ah ok, thanks hig789. It's a 65mm knot, and i have it at a loft of 48mm.

In case anyone else is interested in making one, I uploaded my files:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:22140
There are two files, an STL file which is a universal format, and what you would use to print. I also put up the SolidWorks file I used to make the STL file in case any of you have access to SolidWorks. You can use these files to print if you have access to a printer, or from a site such as http://www.shapeways.com/.
You can also order it directly from here:
http://cubify.com/store/model.aspx?reference=x5A1IMStLeuH
I think the cost is only $3, but i'm not entirely sure how it works

That is awesome, great work, is there an update on its performance, nice dimensions on the handle and knot, it will be a keeper for sure, maybe a first of its kind...

I tried out the new brush this morning, and it works great! The handle is quite a bit lighter than those of the other shave brushes I have, which I was worried might make it a little awkward, but luckily it didn't make a difference

I tried out the new brush this morning, and it works great! The handle is quite a bit lighter than those of the other shave brushes I have, which I was worried might make it a little awkward, but luckily it didn't make a difference

That's great. You know, now we must have post bloom pics. :drool:

Great news, the knot came in and I have it assembled!

View attachment 239092View attachment 239093View attachment 239094

The hole ended up being a little tight, so i ended up having to widen it a bit with a dremel tool. The epoxy takes 24 hours to fully cure, which is killing me!

Excellent work. I would leave the surface as is because it would provide good grip and it looks different. That is a very good looking brush.
Enjoy!

I've been using my new brush for the past few days, and it's working great! Below is the bloom pic of it. The only complain i have is that it seems to just not want to every dry. Is that normal for sliver-tip knots? I know they are supposed to hold water better, but when its still damp over 12hrs later it makes me wonder

$photo.jpg

Top Bottom