What's new

New pipe, new user, new world

So, the Mr Brog I ordered got here last night, I've had the chance to smoke it a few times, but even from the very first, the difference between it and the brylon medico is astounding. The medico didn't fully convince me on pipes, it was about the same experience I'd had years ago when I dabbled in smoking a pipe. It had it's moments, but I couldn't see it as a common activity. The Mr Brog has very much changed that perception of mine.

For having the about the same price, the quality comparison really shows how lacking the medico is. Live and learn, I guess. I did good on the shaving, not making any purchases I regretted while starting out. Same with the pens. I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad, as they say. At least I learned the difference first hand, and know there is a definite quality point at which it's worth waiting or paying a bit more for. The medico will still get some use while the brog is resting, at least till I get a couple more good smoking pipes in the collection. So, other than avoiding brylon like the abomination it really seems to be, any other brands or such I should avoid, or great deals like the Mr Brog I should check out? I have an MM diplomat in my sights already.

Here is the very poor meager "collection" as it currently stands.

$pipes.jpg

Pipes are a very personal item, and just about every manufacturer out there produces some wonderful smokers - but also some dogs. That said, higher end pipes do *tend* to be better smokers, simply due to better QC at the factory / shop. I would suggest you avoid anything made of brylon, sub-$20 pipes hailing from Hong Kong sporting nomenclature like 'No. 1 Smoking Pipe', anything with a metal bowl liner, and, of course, any pressed meerschaum.
If someone were to ask my suggestion for a 'mid-grade' pipe, I would suggest they look into Stanwell or Savinelli. Neither company uses dip-staining (ala Peterson), nor do they mess around with ridiculous bowl-liners like waterglass (ala many of the entry to mid level pipes). Both offer excellent quality control, especially at the price point - and with many of the Stanwell shapes, you are actually smoking a factory produced version of an artesianal pipe (the Stanwell factory is used by many of the big name Danish carvers, who in turn provide the templates for the brand).

I like them, I really like your clay pipe, I like to use mine to test out tobaccos since it doesn't ghost.

I like them, I really like your clay pipe, I like to use mine to test out tobaccos since it doesn't ghost.

Thanks. I picked the clay one up for when I'm camping with the middle age re-enactment group I belong to. I may grab one of those that are modeled after the LotR pipes as well for those campouts. They'd also not look out of place. :) I like the look of the Medico, just not hooked on how it smokes. My collection will grow shortly, since the brog's are very affordable, as are the MM cobs.

Thanks. I picked the clay one up for when I'm camping with the middle age re-enactment group I belong to. I may grab one of those that are modeled after the LotR pipes as well for those campouts. They'd also not look out of place. :) I like the look of the Medico, just not hooked on how it smokes. My collection will grow shortly, since the brog's are very affordable, as are the MM cobs.

Don't be afraid of looking at estates too, you can get really good pipes used from some sites that clean them up really well!

Don't be afraid of looking at estates too, you can get really good pipes used from some sites that clean them up really well!

I only worry there in not having much idea of what I'd be looking for, and if what I was looking at would be worth what was on the tag.

I only worry there in not having much idea of what I'd be looking for, and if what I was looking at would be worth what was on the tag.

There are several reputable folks who won't overcharge you for estate pipes. Pipes & Cigars (Havana Premium Cigar Co.), Smoking Pipes, and Briar Blues all come to mind as people I've had good dealings with; but that certainly isn't the be-all and end-all of companies involved in estate resales.
Ebay can be an invaluable tool, even for the neophyte. Set a (low) maximum bid on anything that catches your eye and sports nomenclature you are familiar with - you may be surprised. My most recent Ebay acquisition is a GBD Prehistoric billiard that ran me a whopping eight bucks - five and change of which were shipping costs. If you check out some of the pipe-specific forums, you'll also find lists of reputable vendors on the 'bay, as well as warnings against the not so reputable.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Keep an eye on pipesandcigars.com. Every once and a while they run a 3 clay pipe and a drug store tobacco deal for aroun $19, I think. I got the Sir Walter Raleigh with mine- it isn't bad in a pinch. I keep one of the clays at work in the desk, as it offers about a five minute smoke.

on edit: changed 2 to 3

Top Bottom