What's new

New perspective on my Hybrid Tech

Several years ago I posted on this forum that I was "despairing of ever finding a razor better than my Hybrid Tech."

This week the Hybrid Tech came up again in the rotation and I've used it the past three days. My new perspective is this: The Hybrid Tech is the best DE razor ever made, and, in all likelihood, there will never be another DE razor as good as or better than it. This is not a cause for despair.

That's my perspective change. So happy that the best DE razor in the world is in my stable. Wondering whether to start selling off all my other DE razors.

Yes, it's that good.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
If I know Andon, I think he might say that the 3rd Generation British Aristocrat is Gillette’s finest.

Funny thing is that neither of you would be wrong.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Sounds like a great Tech. I love Tech's but alas I do not have a Hybrid Tech... Yet.

If I know Andon, I think he might say that the 3rd Generation British Aristocrat is Gillette’s finest.

Funny thing is that neither of you would be wrong.

Spot on Dan. I find that the shave of the 3rd and 4th generation British Aristocrats are up there with the Hybrid. But still the Hybrid is very special and unique in its own way! Wonderful razors all of them, of course, my preferred razors of all. The 4 generations of Crats and the Hybrid together make up the most perfect razor handful of all!

I think any time you use words like "best in the world" and "never be another", you just kind of paint yourself in a corner. Have you ever tried every DE made from all countries? How long is never? For the rest of your life? For the next 1000 years? If your search is over, that's great. If there is something better out there, you'll never know.

Hannah's Dad

I think any time you use words like "best in the world" and "never be another", you just kind of paint yourself in a corner. Have you ever tried every DE made from all countries? How long is never? For the rest of your life? For the next 1000 years? If your search is over, that's great. If there is something better out there, you'll never know.
Let him who has never used hyperbole cast the first stone.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I still want to try this unicorn of a razor ,some day.
I have tried many and probably the two vintage that stand out for me is
RFB #44 I prefer it over the 77/88 because you can change the handle if you want to
And the other razor is my Toggle that I procured from this really nice guy here on B&B.

Hannah's Dad

I still want to try this unicorn of a razor ,some day.
I have tried many and probably the two vintage that stand out for me is
RFB #44 I prefer it over the 77/88 because you can change the handle if you want to
And the other razor is my Toggle that I procured from this really nice guy here on B&B.
Maybe you should ask this ‘nice guy’ if he’s willing to send it to you to try for a spell. (Hint: he is).:001_302:

Hate to sound like a dummy but what is a "Hybrid Tech"?
It's a razor made in England that is a cross between a Tech and a raised flat bottom New. Another way of thinking if it is that it is a safety bar version of a raised flat bottom New, which is also a fantastic shaver but I like the Hybrid tech better.

Oh, and it's rhodium plated and beautiful, too, which is a bonus.

Last edited:
I dunno. I've been shaving this way on a daily basis for ten years. I've tried probably upwards of a hundred razors. I also have a sense of what is possible and what is likely not possible in terms of razor design.
I mean, a DE razor is a contraption built to hold a DE blades so it can cut your stubble. There are only so many ways to configure such a simple machine.
I feel like trying every razor in the world trying desperately to find one better than one I already have that is near perfection is likely a waste of time, and that it's probably better for me to really enjoy what I have rather than to always wonder if there is something better.

I don't think it's impossible that something could be better, but I think it's a long shot. I can't imagine in what way it would be better. So it makes me think that the endless search really does nothing other than cost a lot of money and result in my not quite enjoying what I have as much as I should.
Maybe that's a better way of putting it?

Hate to sound like a dummy but what is a "Hybrid Tech"?

proxy.php

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I can't wait to do a shave off between the
RFB vs The Hybrid Tech.
From the pictures that I have seen it looks like the SB version of the OC RFB. And I know how great that treats my Face :)

Top Bottom