What's new

New Merkur 34C

I ordered a new Merkur 34C that should arrive in the next day or two. At 55 years of age I'm certainly not new to shaving but I have never used a DE razor. I've just used disposables all my life. Mostly Schick and I also have a Harrys that I use. I'm looking forward to the Merkur but I'm also a little nervous too. If I have any questions I know where to ask. It looks like there are quite a few Merkur fans here.

Great choice. The 34c is a great performing razor that I'm sure you will like. Just take it easy and go slow and all should go well. I use one regularly with good results.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
We are almost the same age, and have come to DE shaving at roughly the same time in our lives. I too started with the 34c (about 9 months ago). So if I can just offer a word of advice, read what you can (the above link is an excellent recommendation), and watch videos (if that's your thing), but remember it is about pressure and angle. Specifically, light pressure, and going slow enough to find the right angle. If you treat it like a Harry's, you're probably not going to enjoy your shave.

I like learning from videos, and the people I watched were great shavers, so great that they were whipping that razor across their face effortlessly, and I'm thinking -- no big deal! And it's called a "safety razor", clearly it's safe. Decades of shaving with a cartridge in the shower, I figure it can't be that different. But cartridges don't really care about pressure -- you can press pretty hard with them without adverse affects. And cartridges don't really care about angle....the blades appear to be preset into the head for the right angle. But DE and SE safety razors do care about pressure and angle, and even beard growth. So take it slow, don't get discouraged if your face doesn't initially feel as smooth as with a cartridge, and just sort of pay attention to and enjoy the process. Muscle memory kicks in before long and you too are whipping that razor around your face.

One last thing, these folks are superb teachers....perhaps a little over-enthusiastic at times, but that's just because they (and I) want every shaver to discover what it's like to truly enjoy the shave -- definitely ask questions and enjoy the camaraderie. Just 2-cents from a fellow 'boomer.

I can't add much except that we are the same age and I've only had 5 DE shaves. The best I can say is you have found the best resource on the web for DE shaving. You won find people who are more helpful anywhere.

Read all you can, ask dumb questions (I do it all the time) and let these guys help you. You will have a short learning curve and the best shaves of your life in no time.

Glad to have you on board and welcome!

Congratulations. I've got a free years on you age wise, but the Merkur was my choice a few years ago. Thanks for taking up this great hobby and passing on the disposables.
-Bill

I ordered a new Merkur 34C that should arrive in the next day or two. At 55 years of age I'm certainly not new to shaving but I have never used a DE razor. I've just used disposables all my life. Mostly Schick and I also have a Harrys that I use. I'm looking forward to the Merkur but I'm also a little nervous too. If I have any questions I know where to ask. It looks like there are quite a few Merkur fans here.
It's a great razor. I just ordered my second 34G (gold model) as a backup. I have plenty of vintage Gillette razors as well as a couple of higher priced modern razors and the Merkur 34 shaves as well as any of them. Try to keep it very clean. I actually put a light coat of "Renaissance Wax" on mine when new and freshen it up every month or so to help the soap rinse off and to prevent damage to the plating. There are some opinions about the longevity of the base plate (permanently mounted to the handle) and the top cap being made from a material called Zamac (which is essentially a plated pot metal) deteriorating over time, particularly once the chrome or gold plating is chipped. With good care it should last a very long time. One caveat would be to not over-tighten the knob when loading/securing your blade. The threaded stem that you're tightening is only spot-welded or perhaps soldered or maybe even glued to that top cap and the process is much like a bolt "puller". It's only necessary to snug it up firm enough that it's not going to come undone or loose during the shave. Ham-fisting it as tight as you can will likely ruin it. Tight is tight, too tight is broken.

Congratulations on a great razor. Excellent choice.

Looks like I have plenty of support:001_smile. Thanks again.
J.E.

We will help and encourage (enable?) any way we can. I wish you the best of luck.

Just take it slow and easy at first and then when you get more experienced take it slow and easy. Never rush the blade or you will pay.

Nevertheless, the 34C is a superb razor. I've DE shaved for around 20 years now and mostly got middling results and almost gave up on it until I finally tried the 34C just in the last year or so. Suddenly I am able to shave with confidence and not cut or nick myself. It is still my only DE right now - I will always have a 34C.

Take care!

J.E., did you order any blades with that razor?

The Merkur blades that come with the 34c are far from the best. Interesting that Merkur makes fantastic razors and mediocre blades.

We can give you recommendations for blades that you can buy on Amazon, eBay and online shave shops. However, If you don’t want to wait for an order to arrive, your local supermarket or drug store likely sells a 10 blade dispenser of DEs for around $2.50. Check where they’re made. If from Israel, they’re likely Personna reds. Excellent blade!

J.E.

We will help and encourage (enable?) any way we can. I wish you the best of luck.

Just take it slow and easy at first and then when you get more experienced take it slow and easy. Never rush the blade or you will pay.

Nevertheless, the 34C is a superb razor. I've DE shaved for around 20 years now and mostly got middling results and almost gave up on it until I finally tried the 34C just in the last year or so. Suddenly I am able to shave with confidence and not cut or nick myself. It is still my only DE right now - I will always have a 34C.

Take care!

LOL. My wife has complained that this place is where full grown men hang out and enable each other to buy shaving kit they don't need!

She is now DE shaving so I feel plenty enabled to buy what I need to to replace what she and my son have used.

LOL. My wife has complained that this place is where full grown men hang out and enable each other to buy shaving kit they don't need!

She is now DE shaving so I feel plenty enabled to buy what I need to to replace what she and my son have used.
Lol!

My wife doesn't DE shave but she has dumped the Sensor Venus thing for the single edge Gillette Guard.

Happy enabling!

J.E., did you order any blades with that razor?

The Merkur blades that come with the 34c are far from the best. Interesting that Merkur makes fantastic razors and mediocre blades.

We can give you recommendations for blades that you can buy on Amazon, eBay and online shave shops. However, If you don’t want to wait for an order to arrive, your local supermarket or drug store likely sells a 10 blade dispenser of DEs for around $2.50. Check where they’re made. If from Israel, they’re likely Personna reds. Excellent blade!
Well, I ordered some Merkur blades with the razor. I figured if I didn't like those I can try something else. The only DE blades that I have found around here are Van Der Hagen at Wal-Mart and Walgreens.

I started WS with a Wilkinson the Merkur 23c (same head of 34c) was my first serious DE a good razor too. Now i use the head on a G&F short handle and it is my travel Frankenrazor

Top Bottom