What's new

New lathering bowl - it's a sickness!

Pictures of the brush and bowl, or it ain't real (that's what everybody else tells me all the time).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Well, the bowl is already in this thread, copied from my previous post on 11/5. And I posted a pic in the thread about what are you opening today. But because I like you so much, here ya go.

IMG_0261.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Well, the bowl is already in this thread, copied from my previous post on 11/5. And I posted a pic in the thread about what are you opening today. But because I like you so much, here ya go.

View attachment 842066

Very cool. The brush looks exactly right in the bowl. Well, maybe that's wrong. The bowl looks exactly right surrounding the brush.

Even cooler would be the brush in the bowl, with a lot of lather, but I can't have everything.

I love the bowl reflecting the color of the brush's handle.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Very cool. The brush looks exactly right in the bowl. Well, maybe that's wrong. The bowl looks exactly right surrounding the brush.

Even cooler would be the brush in the bowl, with a lot of lather, but I can't have everything.

I love the bowl reflecting the color of the brush's handle.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm glad you approve. And I found absolutely zero dye coming from the brush as someone else had said was their experience. And surprisingly it had a nice amount of backbone as well. But then, this isn't a brush thread but a bowl thread. The bowl had plenty of backbone during the lather process for my tastes. I think I'll keep it. :001_tt2:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm glad you approve. And I found absolutely zero dye coming from the brush as someone else had said was their experience. And surprisingly it had a nice amount of backbone as well. But then, this isn't a brush thread but a bowl thread. The bowl had plenty of backbone during the lather process for my tastes. I think I'll keep it. :001_tt2:

I like a bowl with backbone. I used to have one that was made out of pasta. It had very little backbone.

Sorry, but I lost the pictures.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I found this serving bowl at a thrift store for $2!

Attachments

• 5ED0EAB1-EB9D-4F9B-87BE-E21BD023EFD0.jpeg
    5ED0EAB1-EB9D-4F9B-87BE-E21BD023EFD0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • 12015DA1-8AD8-424F-ADB1-663F1E515CA9.jpeg
    12015DA1-8AD8-424F-ADB1-663F1E515CA9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19

View attachment 842066
Thanks to @Chan Eil Whiskers and @MntnMan62. My ExcelSteel Bowl arrived today from Amazon, where I snagged for $8.55. You need some pretty dim light not to notice straight off how nice it looks - maybe not the prettiest lather bowl around, but very fine in its own way. Mine is the 3 7/8" high bowl, which has a 6 3/8" inside and 7" outside diameter.

I took it for a spin today, and it's exactly what I've been looking for. I like to use synthetic brushes, and I often splay and twirl them or mash lather down the sides of the bowl and back into the center. This is a great bowl for that - nothing spills over the rim, it's easy enough to palm the bowl, and you can make a mountain of lather if you are in the mood. Pretty lightweight too; I think I might travel with it.

It's a laughable and over told story to tell how many bowls I've been through these last few months, but now my bowl acquisition disorder, while almost certainly not cured, is at least in remission for a while.

Thanks to @Chan Eil Whiskers and @MntnMan62. My ExcelSteel Bowl arrived today from Amazon, where I snagged for $8.55. You need some pretty dim light not to notice straight off how nice it looks - maybe not the prettiest lather bowl around, but very fine in its own way. Mine is the 3 7/8" high bowl, which has a 6 3/8" inside and 7" outside diameter.

I took it for a spin today, and it's exactly what I've been looking for. I like to use synthetic brushes, and I often splay and twirl them or mash lather down the sides of the bowl and back into the center. This is a great bowl for that - nothing spills over the rim, it's easy enough to palm the bowl, and you can make a mountain of lather if you are in the mood. Pretty lightweight too; I think I might travel with it.

It's a laughable and over told story to tell how many bowls I've been through these last few months, but now my bowl acquisition disorder, while almost certainly not cured, is at least in remission for a while.

Congrats. Glad you like it. I haven't been using mine much. I just find it to be a little bit too big. Which makes me wonder how you intend to travel with it? I won't travel with a Crown King Travel Scuttle because it is too big for travel for me and it is easily half the size of this bowl. You must have some travel kit if you plan to lug that monster around with you.

Congrats. Glad you like it. I haven't been using mine much. I just find it to be a little bit too big. Which makes me wonder how you intend to travel with it? I won't travel with a Crown King Travel Scuttle because it is too big for travel for me and it is easily half the size of this bowl. You must have some travel kit if you plan to lug that monster around with you.

Your skepticism may be well-founded. FWIW I thought I would stuff the bowl full of soft items or small things wrapped in something soft. We'll see; I may decide to punt and just face lather my way down the road. In any case, the first order of business is to live with the bowl and see if I continue to like it as much.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Your skepticism may be well-founded. FWIW I thought I would stuff the bowl full of soft items or small things wrapped in something soft. We'll see; I may decide to punt and just face lather my way down the road. In any case, the first order of business is to live with the bowl and see if I continue to like it as much.

The bowl is large, but filled with stuff, it wouldn't take up much space. Glad you like it. I think it beautiful. Much prettier than the Amazon photo.

Mostly I now face lather, but I find shaving uses for all my lovely bowls.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I found this serving bowl at a thrift store for $2!
This bowl was not adequate for my lathering needs so I found its replacement! Found this at the dollar store for $3! A spinning ashtray!

Attachments

• 7E580C7C-02CA-410E-B5FF-862A0BFDDE93.jpeg
    7E580C7C-02CA-410E-B5FF-862A0BFDDE93.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • 4B7E5A67-0A6A-4250-9905-A555AB17C732.jpeg
    4B7E5A67-0A6A-4250-9905-A555AB17C732.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 3A200230-648C-4017-A627-5A6EE1B51E2C.jpeg
    3A200230-648C-4017-A627-5A6EE1B51E2C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Top Bottom