What's new

New in Ohio ready to dive into DE shaving

Have not yet pulled the trigger, but considering a Razorock Ying/Yang as a starter DE. Or just dive in with a Mamba 70... I'm a blade nut as far as folding pocket knives go, (Chris Reeve, Hinderer, Shirogorov, etc) so I know how this tends to go...

Shannon

Welcome to the club!

If you want a quality handle, go for the German Muhle, they are widely available.
And you can take 2 heads.
I have the "Grande" handle, which is about half inch longer than the regular one, I like that.
My preferred choice is the R41 open comb head, which is considered an aggressive (I find that observation foolish). The R41 head gives a fantastic BBS shave. I also have the R89 head, which is a closed comb type and a very gentle, mild head - it is ideal for a beginner. It's the same head as EJ89, arguably of a better quality.

I also use Muhle silver tip badger brush, the best brush I've ever used. It is exceptional. Expensive, but worth every cent.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Good morning Shannon,
North Olmsted Ohio here.
Some good suggestions in this thread
Take your time and remember that it's your face and what works for you will take time to find. The most important thing in traditional wet shaving is technique. Angle and how much pressure to apply. You can buy a$300 razor or a $25 Razor and get the same result until you learn. And I might add you don't need a real expensive razor to get a great Shave. Ask questions and you will get some great answers.

Welcome from Columbus, plenty of learning available here. People love the Razorock stuff definitely. I haven't tried them but new deals are had on Rockwell 6s and others .I tend not to pick up the zamak stuff, stainless or brass (and plated brass) here. My favorite cheaper option to recommend would be an Occam's de razor with the three plates, they go on sale alot so around 52 bucks or so . Mine came with both top plates, the lined one isn't needed. Take care and have fun.

Good morning Shannon,
North Olmsted Ohio here.
Some good suggestions in this thread
Take your time and remember that it's your face and what works for you will take time to find. The most important thing in traditional wet shaving is technique. Angle and how much pressure to apply. You can buy a$300 razor or a $25 Razor and get the same result until you learn. And I might add you don't need a real expensive razor to get a great Shave. Ask questions and you will get some great answers.
Thank you sir, sage advice no doubt.

Welcome from Columbus, plenty of learning available here. People love the Razorock stuff definitely. I haven't tried them but new deals are had on Rockwell 6s and others .I tend not to pick up the zamak stuff, stainless or brass (and plated brass) here. My favorite cheaper option to recommend would be an Occam's de razor with the three plates, they go on sale alot so around 52 bucks or so . Mine came with both top plates, the lined one isn't needed. Take care and have fun.
Haven't looked at the Occam's; will do so. Many thanks.

~Shannon

Have not yet pulled the trigger, but considering a Razorock Ying/Yang as a starter DE. Or just dive in with a Mamba 70... I'm a blade nut as far as folding pocket knives go, (Chris Reeve, Hinderer, Shirogorov, etc) so I know how this tends to go...

Shannon
Welcome. I have a Mamba70, GC.68OC, GC.84P. They’re all excellent razors. My favourite GC.68OC.

Interesting, I haven't read much (yet) about the OC Game Changer, either opening size.
I have written first impression reviews on both GC’s in the reviews section. I am currently shaving and journaling Fatip Gold Grande, GC.68OC, Yaqi Chrome Mellon. My ten month DE shaving journey trying an assortment of different razors has left me committed to open combs. They have the comfort, efficiency and smoothness that delivers BBS consistent shaves for me.

Attachments

• 636E658E-6119-42D6-A5F5-952D0DF33C47.jpeg
    636E658E-6119-42D6-A5F5-952D0DF33C47.jpeg
    819.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 19C26E26-7523-42DC-ABF7-1896B2EE33C6.jpeg
    19C26E26-7523-42DC-ABF7-1896B2EE33C6.jpeg
    926.8 KB · Views: 9
  • CB3D7828-052F-4C77-A5C6-A63E37EF2273.jpeg
    CB3D7828-052F-4C77-A5C6-A63E37EF2273.jpeg
    730.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 5EF13BA5-F029-4A91-8C8B-BDC0D54072CA.jpeg
    5EF13BA5-F029-4A91-8C8B-BDC0D54072CA.jpeg
    634.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 7CADE52F-BBBB-4E02-93C4-89B50308205D.jpeg
    7CADE52F-BBBB-4E02-93C4-89B50308205D.jpeg
    647.6 KB · Views: 6
  • F2CCF0BB-2AEA-4AF9-9AFE-0C0569B0FAEC.jpeg
    F2CCF0BB-2AEA-4AF9-9AFE-0C0569B0FAEC.jpeg
    647.9 KB · Views: 6
I have a GC and it wasnt my favorite. I really like timeless razors. I have the bronze, SS, TI and their Aluminum. If I could restart I would not get cheap razors. I have a couple and would love to get rid of them as I havent even used them. Get something that is nice and if you cant afford it save up. There no race to get all the razors and your focus should be on technique. Once I learned the craft I could get a great shave with any razor but to get the best that is the journey. Goodluck!

I have a GC and it wasnt my favorite. I really like timeless razors. I have the bronze, SS, TI and their Aluminum. If I could restart I would not get cheap razors. I have a couple and would love to get rid of them as I havent even used them. Get something that is nice and if you cant afford it save up. There no race to get all the razors and your focus should be on technique. Once I learned the craft I could get a great shave with any razor but to get the best that is the journey. Goodluck!
. . . and I'm the guy who prefers my GC over my Timeless!!!!!!!
(also my German 37 slant)

Different paces for different faces!

I just learned Timeless is in Ohio - didn't know that. I'd be grateful for your experience, particularly the bronze and aluminum.

Welcome! From Columbus here. I’m just going to say it, welcome to the rabbit hole. All the advice you have received here is good. Sticking to a limited set up and practicing for a time is good, but so is the adventure and experience of exploring all the new gear and soaps and techniques.

No matter how deep you do or do Not fall into the rabbit hole with the rest of us, rest assured you will find some joy and satisfaction in DE or SE shaving.

RAZOROCK has some good stuff at pretty fair prices. Depending on your preferences their stuff may be great for you. If you are interested in trying varying new razors without spending a fortune they are a good one to check out. There splashes are pretty good actually, but even better when you get them on a good sale. They have a small variety of soap bases to try that can be had at a relative bargain. I will note they are somewhat difficult to differentiate the varying bases unless you read the ingredients. I’m not wowed by them, but you can’t argue with the quality and value they offer.

If you aren’t scared of old/used/vintage, there are some great razors to be had here on BST or even on auction sites. Persoanlly, I have found one of my top 3 razors is a Gillette Black Beauty. So don’t be afraid to venture out and try something new, or old.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Welcome to B&B and I also like Razorock products, I bought the ying & yang with the stainless handle and I really enjoy the mission head (Ying?) and the other head (yang) was ok but do not use it that much lately because I have a lot of razors now(vintage). Some other razors from Razorock I enjoy RR German slant, RR wunderbar, RRGC .84.
It can get confusing when purchasing a new razor when looking at reviews all the time but that is part I enjoyed the most in Traditional wet shaving. Try to use a razor as long as possible before purchasing another to get your technique dialed in. Now years later I can tell a razor quickly if it is aggressive or mild in 2 passes- I still do 3 pass of the milder razors that can very nice to use with stellar results. ENJOY traditional wet shaving most of all.

Well, I certainly took my time deciding... first DE shave was yesterday on my first DE razor, a Timeless OC 95 stainless on a Timeless Ti handle - both polished. Ran to the local Walgreens for a pack of blades - King C. Gillette's - and grabbed a tube of Cremo Sandalwood. Shave went well for a brand newbie with a mid-aggressive OC razor. A few weepers on my neck in areas prone to it (I have a pretty deep scar from a surgery to remove a brachial cleft cyst), but overall not bad. Was on 4 days growth, and ended up DFS, as I didn't want to push my luck first time out. Looking forward to this adventure in learning. Might pick up a RR BBS when they become available, as that seems like a milder alternative that still bends the blade a lot; thinking that it might be a similar shave angle as the Timeless, which definitely seems to want me more towards the guard than the cap.

Here's a few pics of my new baby:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom