What's new

New Here, Q on growing facial hair

Hey guys,

I'm new here. 23 years old. I switched over to using a DE safety razor a few months ago and for the most part am enjoying it. I'm not sure that I get a closer shave, but I still need to work on my technique (I only looked at some basic instructional youtube videos before i started using DE and plan on looking into improving my technique when I get a little more free time). I'm using a Merkur HD I think and Derby Xtra blades. Using tabac shaving soap or Taylor Avocado Cream with that $35 brush from C&E and proraso after-shave lotion/cream.

Anyway, I did have a question about growing a beard. A couple weeks ago I thought I'd try to grow out a circle-beard/full-goat and see what it'd look like. I'm noticing that there's a strip that runs down the middle of my chin where not too much hair grows. It's a lot less dense than the nearby areas. Does that mean I probably can't really grow a beard? It's been a little over 2 weeks, so I don't foresee it getting denser any more, probably just longer I'd guess? Any ideas on what I might be able to try other than a clean-shave?

Thanks,
-Abe

Welcome to B&B !!

Sorry I can't answer your question about growing a beard but if you are interested in instructional videos check out the ones by mantic59 on youtube.

They really helped me when I got into wetshaving early this year.

I suggest nixing the goatee and going for the Glenn Hughes stache. This is also a favorite of firefighters everywhere.

proxy.php

I'm noticing that there's a strip that runs down the middle of my chin where not too much hair grows. It's a lot less dense than the nearby areas. Does that mean I probably can't really grow a beard? It's been a little over 2 weeks, so I don't foresee it getting denser any more, probably just longer I'd guess? Any ideas on what I might be able to try other than a clean-shave?

What you see is what you get, typically. I've never been able to grow sideburns, FWIW. My beard on my chin came in almost pure white while the rest of my hair was only about 20% white.

I'm afraid you'll just have to figure out what you like best, working with what you have.

- Chris

The little strip right under your lip? Hit or miss really. If the rest of the beard grows in good, don't worry too much about it; but if it makes the whole thing look off, maybe try another style, or stay clean. I start growing the full beard Monday, as per my yearly tradition/ritual, and I will only be shaving my neck for a few months. Probably a good thing because I can spend more time learning the finer countours of my neck, and then I will have to take it good an easy when April comes around I need to clean my face up.

Some of us are blessed (or cursed, depending on how you look at it) with lots of hair. I am one of those guys who looks like he is wearing a sweater when I take my shirt off and it only takes about a week to grow in a thick, full beard, which means I only have a day of "is he just being lazy, or is he trying to grow a beard?" Sadly, I still suffer the days worth of itching and dryness.

Pretty typical. You'll find that your beard fills out as you get older...and your ears...and your nose...and your back...

Thanks for the welcomes and responses! Actually under my lip grows ok, but maybe like an inch or less below the middle of my lip starts the goat and there's a strip that is less dense than the rest. I probably could do the Glenn Hughes stache, but not sure i would like the look. Guess it doesn't hurt to try though since I have something kind of in between that and a circle beard lol. Maybe I'll try again in a few years. I actually started out watching the first few mantic59 videos, but I haven't gotten a chance to watch all of them yet. Will definitely take a look again soon.

Welcome to B&B! Regarding the beard...how does it look to you? DO you like the way it looks, then keep it! If you don't like the way it look, do something different.

Pretty typical. You'll find that your beard fills out as you get older...and your ears...and your nose...and your back...

Tell me about it.

Does that make me atypical then? I could grow a full beard easily by the time I was 16.

16?! Huh, when I was 16 I still only shaved once per week! My beard didn't really come in until I was 18.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

As mentionned, what you see is what you get. I have a 'less dense patch' on one side of my sideburns. That's the way it is, it's not so bad but I can live with it...

I could grow a full beard by 17, I am only currently 23. Does that mean my beard will continue to thicken, even though it is already very thick and fast growing?

16?! Huh, when I was 16 I still only shaved once per week! My beard didn't really come in until I was 18.

Shaving once a week? I wish! I was shaving fairly regularly by the time I was 14, although it really didn't fill out until I was about 16. :blushing:

As others have said, it is what it is. I'm just about 30, and I still cannot grow a full goatee. My mustache (which does not grow right in the middle either) does not connect to the rest of my beard. My wife hated it when I had it. she said it just looked like dirt. I'm thinking of growing it out again out of spite. :biggrin:

Just because your beard can't get totally full now doesn't mean it always is. I'm 25 and my beard fills in a little more every year. Finally getting that corner lip to chin gap filled in. Unfortunately, it seems like the two of us are in the same boat and need to either go with clean shaven or get fancy with the faical to accentuate our thicker growth areas.

I could grow a full beard by 17, I am only currently 23. Does that mean my beard will continue to thicken, even though it is already very thick and fast growing?

It's hard to say. My facial hair started out not very thick when I was in my teens. But I'm in my thirties now and I have a full beard.

Top Bottom