What's new

New HAWK razor on sale.

I will try mine with a Schick Proline first.
I really like the color of this razor.

Hawk.jpg

Last edited:

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I have the Green one and it's okay, nothing special. Compared to the ATT SE1, it falls short on efficiency stroke for stroke. But it will get the job done, eventually... [emoji38]
Well I'd hope the extra $140 would get you something. When comparing a $25 razor to a $160, the $160 razor better win.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Well I'd hope the extra $140 would get you something. When comparing a $25 razor to a $160, the $160 razor better win.

This makes sense but it's not correct.

In addition to the Hawk mentioned above I have the V1 SS General and both the ATT AC razors. My Hawk is absolutely in the same league as the others and might be better.

The cost of a razor doesn't tell us jack about its shave.

That said, it's okay to try them all to find out for yourself. You might find a $1000 razor you like a lot better than anything else, but I guarantee you not everyone will agree with you. Nor should they. Everyone's software, skin, whiskers, preferences, technique, prep, and water are not the same.

If the most expensive razors were always better it would make things a lot easier, but alas...

Happy shaves,

Jim

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
This makes sense but it's not correct.

In addition to the Hawk mentioned above I have the V1 SS General and both the ATT AC razors. My Hawk is absolutely in the same league as the others and might be better.

The cost of a razor doesn't tell us jack about its shave.

That said, it's okay to try them all to find out for yourself. You might find a $1000 razor you like a lot better than anything else, but I guarantee you not everyone will agree with you. Nor should they. Everyone's software, skin, whiskers, preferences, technique, prep, and water are not the same.

If the most expensive razors were always better it would make things a lot easier, but alas...

Happy shaves,

Jim

That's a very fair point. After rereading my comment I think it may have come across a bit more argumentative then I intended.

I guess to me, it's like comparing a Ferrari to an Accord. One is precision built for performance and the other is built for function more than anything else. A person buys one over the other for their own reasons (one of those reasons being that not everyone who could afford an Accord could also afford a Ferrari). Some people couldn't even drive a Ferrari, let alone use it to its potential. My frame of reference may be skewed on this because I don't own a razor that cost me more than $50 and I just have an expectation that paying more I would get better performance...but maybe I wouldn't be able to drive it to its potential 😁

Like I said though, I meant my comment to be more light hearted then it may have come across. Apologies if I upended the apple cart there. Only gentlemanly discourse intended.

I finally used my new Hawk V2 last night and it gave a wonderful shave. Definitely more aggressive than my aluminum General I was using. Still a very nice smooth shave. I used a Feather Pro blade that had 10 shaves on it. I am going to throw a fresh Feather Pro Guide blade in it for the next shave and see how that goes. So far I do like it.

Hawk_MW.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That's a very fair point. After rereading my comment I think it may have come across a bit more argumentative than I intended.

I guess to me, it's like comparing a Ferrari to an Accord. One is precision built for performance and the other is built for function more than anything else. A person buys one over the other for their own reasons (one of those reasons being that not everyone who could afford an Accord could also afford a Ferrari). Some people couldn't even drive a Ferrari, let alone use it to its potential. My frame of reference may be skewed on this because I don't own a razor that cost me more than $50 and I just have an expectation that paying more I would get better performance...but maybe I wouldn't be able to drive it to its potential 😁

Like I said though, I meant my comment to be more light hearted then it may have come across. Apologies if I upended the apple cart there. Only gentlemanly discourse intended.

I didn't see your comment as ungentlemanly or argumentative. Not at all.

Used to be I thought maybe paying more for a razor meant buying a better product. Maybe it does sometimes. Maybe a more expensive razor is more likely to last longer. It may be far more satisfactory in your view of it. However, my point is that paying more does not mean better performance.

Safety razor performance is always going to be somewhat variable on different skin, with different whiskers, with different software, etc. The design parameters which make a safety razor work well are very limited. Not everyone prefers or gets their best shaves from any given set of parameters either.

Just to pick one set of design parameters (great rigidity, very small gap, very small guard span, significant blade exposure)...

4OldTypeRazors..640.6-2-18.JPG

Let's say we can control for design parameters. In my opinion the best Gillette razor ever made is the Old Type. In my opinion it's even better with a the handle of a Fat Handled Tech. I have Old Types which cost me less than $10. Really great shavers for me.

Schöne Razor.jpg

They say the Fatip razors, including this Schöne, are close copies of the Gillette Old Type. They, in this case, means Fatip experts including Rave @Raven Koenes. I agree with that view. Right now, a Schöne on Amazon costs $22. At a steep angle or at its design angle (neutral angle) it works great for me, much like the Old Type.

Plisson.Joris.Kit.640.7-24-18.JPG

This beautiful razor is a Plisson Joris. Current price? $185. Great razor. Beautiful. However it is essentially the same razor as the Schöne and all other OC Fatips in it performance characteristics.

All the razors I've mentioned are solid metal and built to last. No Zamac.

I've picked here razors which neither improve or worsen as the price goes up, but I could go the other way and give examples of razors which cost more but aren't as good in their performance characteristics as similar less expensive razors.

No, I'm not saying all the super high end razors are bad. I've not tried most of them, but I'm sure some are very much worth the money at least to some gentlemen. In my experience, ATT razors are fine examples of what smart guys can do when they set out to design and build modern high end razors. However, I would not say my SS DLC Hawk gives anything away to the AC platform ATT razors I own.

I just have an expectation that paying more I would get better performance

Following the BST for a while will give anyone plenty of opportunities to test their expectations. I'm all for gentlemen spending thousands of dollars to test drive the high end razors, but I think of them more like jewelry than like exquisite tools.

Of course that's just my view of it and my opinion.

Happy shaves to you regardless of anything,

Jim

It's all in the shave. If a razor shaves good for you and it's your favorite, then it doesn't matter how much it cost. Some expensive ones are big winners and some that are not so expensive are big winners.
And it all depends on what kind of shave you are looking for. That can change over time. Your preference that is.

Between the RR Hawk V2 and SS ATT SE1, the SE1 is well worth the extra money for me.

I agree that the ATT SE1 SS with the Atlas handle is an outstanding razor. I have to use the Hawk at least once more to decide with one I prefer over the other.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
They say the Fatip razors, including this Schöne, are close copies of the Gillette Old Type. They, in this case, means Fatip experts including Rave @Raven Koenes.
Jim
Picasso once said, "Good artist copy, Great artist steal". It means you may not be the first to try something, but you did it so well that everyone thinks of you when they see that style...Bellissimo Fatip!

Top Bottom